C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Plugs Were Easy with the right Tool

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:12 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Plugs Were Easy with the right Tool

I changed out the plugs last Saturday for the first time on my 95 LT1. I collected as much info and tools as possible before I started. After reading all the threads you guys almost had me scared. Four hours? Maybe without the right tools. I had all 8 plugs out in less than 30 minutes. No bloody knucles either. I think it was mostly due to this tool I picked up off ebay. I used that one with a few other socket sizes that I bought locally. I'll have to measure all the sizes I had. The socket was bored out and fit all the way on the plug to break it loose. Then I would use a socket a bit longer to finish removing. I spent more time dropping plugs in the engine and greasing them with anti-sieze than anything. Yes, I tried using rubber hose to get them started. I think next time I'll use an old plug boot. The only thing I removed was the three ASR bolts to get it out of the way. I also bought the sidewinder tool for this job. I tried it on one plug and threw it aside. It is too bulky and difficult to turn to really be usefull. I think some have had luck with it on the older C4's. It was a waste of money for me. This job really was a whole lot easier then I thought it would be. Anyways I just wanted to share how usefull the right tool can be. A lot of people have rigged up similar tools or purchased the wrench seperate. Next time I'm pretty sure I can do it in under an hour. By the way I do have headers but from what I've read it doesn't make much of a difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVE...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 01-03-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
I changed out the plugs last Saturday for the first time. I collected as much info and tools as possible before I started. After reading all the threads you guys almost had me scared. Four hours? Maybe without the right tools. I had all 8 plugs out in less than 30 minutes. No bloody knucles either. I think it was mostly due to this tool I picked up off ebay. I used that one with a few other socket sizes that I bought locally. I'll have to measure all the sizes I had. The socket was bored out and fit all the way on the plug to break it loose. Then I would use a socket a bit longer to finish removing. I spent more time dropping plugs in the engine and greasing them with anti-sieze than anything. Yes, I tried using rubber hose to get them started. I think next time I'll use an old plug boot. The only thing I removed was the three ASR bolts to get it out of the way. I also bought the sidewinder tool for this job. I tried it on one plug and threw it aside. It is too bulky and difficult to turn to really be usefull. I think some have had luck with it on the older C4's. It was a waste of money for me. This job really was a whole lot easier then I thought it would be. Anyways I just wanted to share how usefull the right tool can be. A lot of people have rigged up similar tools or purchased the wrench seperate. Next time I'm pretty sure I can do it in under an hour. By the way I do have headers but from what I've read it doesn't make much of a difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVE...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks
I purchased that tool on eBay and it does work well but the job took me much longer than it took you. Nice work.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by elefkow
I purchased that tool on eBay and it does work well but the job took me much longer than it took you. Nice work.
I couldn't believe I had them out in 30 minutes. It took at least another hour to finish up though. I took my time regapping, greasing, and installing the plugs gently. My little magnetic pickup tool came in handy several times, picking up plugs down under the engine.

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 12-19-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:02 PM
All2kool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't believe I had them out in 30 minutes. It took at least another hour to finish up though. I took my time regapping, greasing, and installing the plugs gently. My little magnetic pickup tool cam in handy several times, picking up plugs down under the engine.
Fancy tools are not required. Have you noticed that a Spark Plug socket has a box end on it? Socket + Open End Wrench = easy removal of hard to reach plugs (on my L98 anyway).
Old 12-28-2006, 10:38 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by All2kool
Fancy tools are not required. Have you noticed that a Spark Plug socket has a box end on it? Socket + Open End Wrench = easy removal of hard to reach plugs (on my L98 anyway).
But they definately made it easier on my LT1. A box end and a few socket sizes would have also worked but it would have been more of a pain and taken much longer also. I'd rather save the money on labor and buy the right tools for the job.

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 01-19-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:56 AM
jsavoy
Racer

Rick, rachet wrenches have saved my butt a few times. I tried the wrench and socket setup but the passenger rear spark plug on the LT1 just won't have it. Battered and bruised, wheel off, wheel skirt removed and didn't make it go any faster. After using rachet wrenches, short socket, etc... I was amazed at the time difference. Right tools make a difference. Thanks for providing the info
Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by All2kool
L98 and LTx's are completely different beasts when your talking about spark plug removal.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the same wrench (different name) at Autozone for $18.99.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:39 PM
fixit
Instructor

I have a '94 LT1, what the hell is an ASR?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:54 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by fixit
I have a '94 LT1, what the hell is an ASR?
Accelerated Slip Regulation

It is the black plastic covered unit on the Drivers side that says ASR. The ASR system will kick in when your tires begin to lose traction. It will apply brakes and manage spark and throttle until the slip is not detected any longer.

Last edited by biggrizzly; 12-30-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:47 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The ASR also applies the brakes and retards the timing.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:28 PM
fixit
Instructor

So you're saying the ASR unit is in the way of one or two plugs? Is it a pain to move aside?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:51 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed all the plugs on my '93 with my snap on swivel spark plug socket. even #8 no special tools needed.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:24 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't remember everything but a 10 mm wrench and I think one bar at the alt will do it.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:59 PM
G-Sting
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Which tool did you use? The socket or the whole wrench setup?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:52 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gmans96Coupe
Which tool did you use? The socket or the whole wrench setup?
I used both along with one extra socket that was a little longer.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 PM
G-Sting
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I used both along with one extra socket that was a little longer.
Thanks! This could help a bunch in the future when I go to change those original plugs.

Get notified of new replies

To Plugs Were Easy with the right Tool

Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I was looking in my engine bay (93 LT1) today trying to figure out why the plug socket needed to be cut down. Even at plug #8, if you use a standard 5/8 plug socket with a 3/4" flex gearwrench, you shouldn't have any problems...

Why the cut down socket???? Is it just for headers?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:51 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
I was looking in my engine bay (93 LT1) today trying to figure out why the plug socket needed to be cut down. Even at plug #8, if you use a standard 5/8 plug socket with a 3/4" flex gearwrench, you shouldn't have any problems...

Why the cut down socket???? Is it just for headers?
Could be, there were a couple of plugs that even with some of the shorter sockets I had couldn't easily get to. The cut down, hallowed out socket did the job very well.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:27 PM
wolverine1967
Pro

so does this wrench combo work well with the LT1's?

Quick Reply: Plugs Were Easy with the right Tool