Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dammit TB... are you serious?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 05:47 PM
evmlarry
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dammit throttle body... are you serious?

Ok. So today I decided to finally clean my throttle body and IAC. After removing the TB and doing a total detailed cleaning, I went to change the gaskets. Well, seems like someone who previously had the car over torqued the coolant cover on the TB. 3 of the screws ended up snapping in half inside the coolant cover. Right now I have 4 of the screws removed and the other 3 sitting there. I figured this wouldn't be a huge deal since I would be able to pull the cover off still since it looks like it's not threaded. Well, that damn cover is acting like it's welded on there. I have it soaking in WD40 right now hoping it will penetrate and loosen.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

I'd rather remove this and replace the gasket than have to buy a new TB assembly.

Last edited by evmlarry; 12-31-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:56 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I cant realy help, but nobody had to overtorque them. The screws become one with the casting. This is a common problem when steel screws are in alluminum threads. Happens all the time in throttlebodies. Thats why we have to use anti sieze on sparkplugs in alluminum heads.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:58 PM
rich653
Burning Brakes

Sympathy..your in a -----situation, I took mine apart a little while ago and was lucky enough to only snap 2 screws, the cover should come off it's not threaded but tight fit, once I got the cover off I was able to get one of the screws out because it didn't snap off flush so with the help of pb blaster and some small vice grips was able to work it out, but the other one broke flush and I had to drill and tap was lucky enough to get pretty straight on the broken screw and retap the hole
with m4x 0.7 metric tap if I remember right. then a trip to the hardware store and luckily they had metric replacement screws. Hope some of this might help. Maybe you'll be real lucky and they didn't snap flush. I forget what year yours is but if you get in a real bind I have a t.b off my 86 you can have, works fine just a little slop in the throttle rod. Good Luck.

Have a Happy new Year....Rich
Old 12-31-2006, 07:09 PM
evmlarry
Pro

Originally Posted by rich653
Sympathy..your in a -----situation, I took mine apart a little while ago and was lucky enough to only snap 2 screws, the cover should come off it's not threaded but tight fit, once I got the cover off I was able to get one of the screws out because it didn't snap off flush so with the help of pb blaster and some small vice grips was able to work it out, but the other one broke flush and I had to drill and tap was lucky enough to get pretty straight on the broken screw and retap the hole
with m4x 0.7 metric tap if I remember right. then a trip to the hardware store and luckily they had metric replacement screws. Hope some of this might help. Maybe you'll be real lucky and they didn't snap flush. I forget what year yours is but if you get in a real bind I have a t.b off my 86 you can have, works fine just a little slop in the throttle rod. Good Luck.

Have a Happy new Year....Rich
I was hoping you'd say that you were able to get the cover off. I didn't think it was threaded. The gasket was probably done right when the work was done on this so it's working like super glue!

Fortunately the 3 screws snapped flush only at the top of the cover about a 1/16th of the way in. I've actually already found my trust vice grips and will let patience carry me the rest of the way.

If I have issues, I may be in contact with you about the TB you have... I have an 85. Thanks a bunch!

And have a great new year!
Larry
Old 12-31-2006, 07:10 PM
evmlarry
Pro

Originally Posted by Spankyellow
I cant realy help, but nobody had to overtorque them. The screws become one with the casting. This is a common problem when steel screws are in alluminum threads. Happens all the time in throttlebodies. Thats why we have to use anti sieze on sparkplugs in alluminum heads.
That definitely came in mind too. I think they've bonded quite well this time around. As always, I'll make sure to put antiseize on this part too
Old 12-31-2006, 08:42 PM
evmlarry
Pro

PIT-EFFIN-A!!! But it's off and all the screw studs came out cleanly after an hour with the heat gun, WD40, and vice grips!!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:48 PM
rich653
Burning Brakes

Good going my friend now get drunk
Old 01-02-2007, 07:20 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds good.

Why does everything have to be more difficult than it already is?

Get notified of new replies

To Dammit TB... are you serious?

Quick Reply: Dammit TB... are you serious?