C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1986 auto half shafts

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:09 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 1986 auto half shafts

I noticed that the half shafts on my car are rusted. I was under the impression they were suppose to be aluminum. Where did the rust come from?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jon0108
I noticed that the half shafts on my car are rusted. I was under the impression they were suppose to be aluminum. Where did the rust come from?
The axle stubs that protrude out of the pumpkin are metal. They rust. When the u-joints dry up they sometimes shed rust around them. The shaft itself should be aluminum. It was (aluminum)the day it left the factory anyway.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 AM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete K
The axle stubs that protrude out of the pumpkin are metal. They rust. When the u-joints dry up they sometimes shed rust around them. The shaft itself should be aluminum. It was (aluminum)the day it left the factory anyway.
Thanks,Pete.
I am finally getting around to doing my rear. I ordered one from IKERDS and my buddy who has a shop a few blocks away is going to install it. I figured I might as well install new u-joints at the time. I guess the half shafts were changed by the previous owner. I just hope the new u-joints fit.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 auto half shafts

Quick Reply: 1986 auto half shafts