C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

someone to help with vet

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:52 PM
rugby!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone to help with vet

i have 91 auto with a superram 383. the car overheats on hot days (90+). i took it back to the shop that installed the motor. rad was completely flushed and outside cleaned. chip has the fans set to turn on early around 205. the cars fuel pressure is set at like 55 (i know it was supposed to be lower). the shop can't help anymore. i need a new rad. or something is wrong with my chip. i had one from here on the forum and when i put it in it was slower then my monte carlo (v6). they had all of my info from the new motor. then i got a chip from fastchip car ran better but still only 317 on the dyno. the shop did a chip and i was up to 360hp. I KNOW I MAY HAVE TO TRAVEL TO FIND SOMEONE GOOD TO HELP AND I AM WILLING TO DRIVE. SOMEONE GIVE THE MAGICAL MECHANIC WHO CAN HELP MY CAR.......
Old 01-02-2007, 11:26 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Call our friend Vettetech81 at www.rickanthonymotorsports.net
He is in Downers Grove, IL and does a lot of work for the Chicago Crew.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

What is your definition of ,"overheat"? Normal C4 coolant temperature in 90 F weather is to maintain the 180 or 195 stock thermostat temp if you are over 35 mph. At stoplights, it rises to 205-210 and higher if you sit long enough until the fan comes on at the factory set 228 F and the auxilliary fan comes on at 238 F. GM says to shut the engine off at 260 F and let it cool down. The radiators in C4's are not large enough to maintain 180-195 idling with the fans on. If this is what you are experiencing then you really don't have a problem. 210 won't hurt your engine one bit!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:22 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How hot does it get?

Have you verified the fans are coming on at the preset temps?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Vetracr
Pro

Originally Posted by rugby!
i have 91 auto with a superram 383. the car overheats on hot days (90+). i took it back to the shop that installed the motor. rad was completely flushed and outside cleaned. chip has the fans set to turn on early around 205. the cars fuel pressure is set at like 55 (i know it was supposed to be lower). the shop can't help anymore. i need a new rad. or something is wrong with my chip. i had one from here on the forum and when i put it in it was slower then my monte carlo (v6). they had all of my info from the new motor. then i got a chip from fastchip car ran better but still only 317 on the dyno. the shop did a chip and i was up to 360hp. I KNOW I MAY HAVE TO TRAVEL TO FIND SOMEONE GOOD TO HELP AND I AM WILLING TO DRIVE. SOMEONE GIVE THE MAGICAL MECHANIC WHO CAN HELP MY CAR.......
I had similar problems with last race engine I built. 1) Stock radiator is marginal at best. You need a larger core aluminum radiator. 2) Chips from any vendor without running car on dyno are questionable. I ran chips from 3 vendors on dyno and found factory chip gave max power.
All chip burners are conservative and run over rich to avoid lean condition and possible engine damage. After tuning on dyno I obtained considerable power increase by decreasing fuel pressure at regulator to run at lean max torque air fuel ratio at WOT.

Larry
Old 01-04-2007, 06:24 PM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Call our friend Vettetech81 at www.rickanthonymotorsports.net
He is in Downers Grove, IL and does a lot of work for the Chicago Crew.
Ron thanks for the referal!

Rugby feel free to give me a call at the very least I would be willing to talk with you about the issues with your car 630-991-0622 best time is after 6pm

-=Rick
Old 01-04-2007, 08:48 PM
rugby!
Instructor

when i say hot i mean gage is hitting 260. i have gotten out and checked and at 240-250 both fans are on. i was driving in july temp. 90 and the interstate was down to 1 lane and we were doing 30 for about 20 minutes and i had to pull over because i was at 260. i was thinking if stock i have 170hp at the wheel and now with a "bad" tune i have 317hp that means i need alot more cooling but a lot of guys say stock is ok.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:51 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You may have a stuck t-stat, air in the coolant, debris between the radiator and condenser, or low coolant.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:57 PM
RWD_tech
Racer

yeah i was thinking it may have something to do with the thermostat. but more importantly, do these cars have air dams???? i know the camaros do and people frequently complain of overheating only to find their air damn is missing

what temperature thermostat do you have in there now?

Get notified of new replies

To someone to help with vet

Quick Reply: someone to help with vet