Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love 11 year old threads. A new record, I believe
Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 AM
nathanours
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
I love 11 year old threads. A new record, I believe
Me too. I learned something new and usefull.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I learned something too. After reading this 11 year old thread I decided to try the 50w bulbs. I got a pair and installed them, leaving the 10 amp fuse in place. They lasted about 20-30 minutes before the fuse let go, I have to admit I am leery of upping the amperage of the fuse with no other changes so I started a separate thread, (figured this one would be closed) and got advice to install a relay. I am going to get a relay & put it in, it can't hurt.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
UNCLEBILL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I learned something too. After reading this 11 year old thread I decided to try the 50w bulbs. I got a pair and installed them, leaving the 10 amp fuse in place. They lasted about 20-30 minutes before the fuse let go, I have to admit I am leery of upping the amperage of the fuse with no other changes so I started a separate thread, (figured this one would be closed) and got advice to install a relay. I am going to get a relay & put it in, it can't hurt.
I have run the 50 watt bulbs in my 1990 Vert with the 15 amp fuse for the last 5 years and no problem. In the book 101 Projects for your Vette by Richard Newton; he goes into great detail about this change with regards to load on the system. His figures show a healthy safety margin on the system.
Bill
Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by UNCLEBILL
I have run the 50 watt bulbs in my 1990 Vert with the 15 amp fuse for the last 5 years and no problem. In the book 101 Projects for your Vette by Richard Newton; he goes into great detail about this change with regards to load on the system. His figures show a healthy safety margin on the system.
Bill
Since I made my last post in this thread I did some homework and came up with what you say, the 15 amp fuse is all that is needed. Thanks for sharing your experience, it would be very helpful to know this information.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Interesting "old" thread. Stuff here I'd never heard of before. I have a 96 and as far as I know the bulbs are stock (?)Watts. I don't do a lot of night driving, but when I do, I always have those lower lights on too. They don't reach out much, but do light up the sides of the road more. With a change to 50w bulbs, is this a big change comparred to the stock bulbs? Will I be able to continue to use them all the time or will they be too bright for oncomming traffic? An improvement would be nice, but I don't want anything obnoxious to other drivers like those super bright blue things are to me!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

The later model Vettes were equipped with the 50w bulbs from the factory you could check & see if they are still in there or if someone changed them to a lower wattage.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
Interesting "old" thread. Stuff here I'd never heard of before. I have a 96 and as far as I know the bulbs are stock (?)Watts. I don't do a lot of night driving, but when I do, I always have those lower lights on too. They don't reach out much, but do light up the sides of the road more. With a change to 50w bulbs, is this a big change comparred to the stock bulbs? Will I be able to continue to use them all the time or will they be too bright for oncomming traffic? An improvement would be nice, but I don't want anything obnoxious to other drivers like those super bright blue things are to me!
The 50 watt bulbs do make a big difference. They are easy to oncoming traffic but still light up the road ahead very nicely. You will definitely notice a big difference.

Quick Reply: ANyone every change fog lamps??