C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Question on Callaway Aero body hoods

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 02:50 PM
Arisa
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question on Callaway Aero body hoods

I need to know....why when spending all the money for an Aero kit can they NOT patch the two small holes in the hood where the factory emblem was.
It looks so cheap to me. NOT saying the cars are cheap, hell I would LOVE to have one, I just think those two holes look stupid butt hell.

Talk to me! Is there a reason he leaves them ???

Thanks

Neal
Old 10-05-2001, 02:54 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Question on Callaway Aero body hoods (Arisa)

They didn't just leave them., they put little "teardrops" that snapped into place in them.
Old 10-05-2001, 03:06 PM
Arisa
Race Director

Default Re: Question on Callaway Aero body hoods (Smash)

That sounds even worse to me! At 8 large plus painting I'd think a little glassing would be in oeder. Ya know !

Neal
Old 10-05-2001, 05:23 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,074 Posts

That sounds even worse to me! At 8 large plus painting I'd think a little glassing would be in oeder. Ya know !

Neal
Neal, I am not sure what car you were looking at (to have holes left in the hood) but Smash is correct...there are 2 small "teardrops" where the emblem used to sit and are very discreet... Callaway does NOT repaint the hoods and it sounds like you're not sure of all the work involved w/ fitting the Aerobody :confused: but anyways... you have a right to your opinion (even if you have not seen what you are griping about...)
attatched is a pic however, I don't think you can make out the teardrops very well... Enjoy,
Old 10-05-2001, 05:38 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Neal
Yeah, sure, but then theyd show up eventually anyway and look terrible. Why not just put the emblem back on if you hate it that much?
Old 10-05-2001, 06:54 PM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the teardrops on the hood of my C4 because that's about the only thing that the marketing group of Callaway is allowed to sell. If anybody bumps into Reeves, ask him what kind of company refuses to sell body pieces individually to the general public. Understandably, there is a little bit of "exclusivity" with not selling to the general public BUT, the aerobody nose would really good on any early C4 and they refuse to sell it!

So, I gave'em 20 some bucks for the teardrops and it's a nice touch. It generates a small talk at the track and shows or whatever.....
Old 10-05-2001, 10:43 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Default Re: Question on Callaway Aero body hoods (EricVonHa)

I put the teardrops on the hood of my C4 because that's about the only thing that the marketing group of Callaway is allowed to sell. If anybody bumps into Reeves, ask him what kind of company refuses to sell body pieces individually to the general public. Understandably, there is a little bit of "exclusivity" with not selling to the general public BUT, the aerobody nose would really good on any early C4 and they refuse to sell it!

So, I gave'em 20 some bucks for the teardrops and it's a nice touch. It generates a small talk at the track and shows or whatever.....
If you own an Aerobody car, you can purchase replacement pieces one by one however, Reeves is preserving not only his companies name but it's design as well... If I opened up "Centeramerica" or "heckling" catalogs and found a cheap knock off Aerobody for 2 grand complete w/ a can of spray paint so you can install it yourself under a shade tree I would be upset. Reeves Callaway is a CAR builder...a small manufacturer of his style and interpretation (mostly w/ Vettes) Thank you Reeves for your integrity!
Later,

[Modified by *89x2*, 8:44 PM 10/5/2001]
Old 10-06-2001, 01:25 AM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Question on Callaway Aero body hoods (*89x2*)

Did you get the spray paint for your wheels from "Centeramerica" or the "Heckler's" catalog that you shop from??? Damn, they look like they glow in the dark! Reeves might not be too happy with the "integrity".

I'll give you $100 bucks over Reeve's ridiculous price for the aerobody nose. I'm still going to put one on my car...
Old 10-06-2001, 02:14 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

There is a forum member dying to having some teardrops. He has a black '91 Convertible. He would love this info... now if I could only find him :lol:.

I respect Reeves for over charging and selecting which cars get the kit. This is supposed to be an exclusive kit. If I ever decide to get one I know I must get an engine package as well. My car will have an excellant resale value too. :D

Callaways are exotics so they better be rare. Reeves is doing a great job doing that.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:36 PM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow! Who did you talk to at Callaways to get the teardrops. I sent an email to Ted Rice, (purachasing guy), there and he refused to sell me any teardrops. He said if I bought the $7,300 kit , I would get two of the teardrops with it.! :D

I would gladly pay $20 for a set of those teardrops. I think they are very cool! :cool:

Point me in the right direction!

Jim S. :flag :seeya
Old 10-06-2001, 11:36 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Did you get the spray paint for your wheels from "Centeramerica" or the "Heckler's" catalog that you shop from??? Damn, they look like they glow in the dark! Reeves might not be too happy with the "integrity".

I'll give you $100 bucks over Reeve's ridiculous price for the aerobody nose. I'm still going to put one on my car...
I am not sure where you are going with that comment however, I will entertain it briefly by saying I do NOT have those wheels on my car... (I have the original wheels on mine) as far as ordering (???) a nose for you and selling it for 100 bucks over cost, get real! I think others have made my point for me already by explaining why Callaway does not sell "parts". If you do not like that response, call Callaway yourself....they do have an official response I am sure.
Later , *89x2*

[Modified by *89x2*, 9:43 PM 10/6/2001]
Old 10-07-2001, 08:41 PM
MyC-4
Racer

Default Re: Question on Callaway Aero body hoods (*89x2*)

Why would you put tear drops on your vette if it's not a callaway? Sure, I would love a callaway vette, But I'm not a poser like some people i guess :rolleyes: :bs
Old 10-07-2001, 09:23 PM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Question on Callaway Aero body hoods (MyC-4)

I would love to have the teardrops on my hood, because I think they look better than the emblems that are there now. :cool: There is no way that putting teardrops on my hood is gonna make anyone think that its a Callaway. If they're informed enough to know that the teardrops are found on Callaways, then they should be informed enough to tell that everything else about my car is stock. :rolleyes:

I like to do little things to my car that make it look better to me, and make it a little different than everyone else's. Like I painted the "CORVETTE" on the steering wheel red. I painted the "CORVETTE" on the seat backs . I tinted the tailights etc...

I really resent your calling me a "poser" , since you don't know a thing about me. :boxing:

Jim S. :seeya: :flag
Old 10-07-2001, 09:59 PM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Question on Callaway Aero body hoods (91 black convert)

Back a couple years ago was when I got my "Exclusive High Integrity Tear Drops". I called them up and they shipped'em right out... from the sounds of the posts it appears as though they cut the general public off all together.

Sorry, it's my fault... My car has been the only standard C4 out at Carlisle that I've ever seen with these tear drops. Nobody knows what the heck they are. So I simply tell them that they are Callaway tear drops and I replaced the Chevy emblem with them coz it gives 15 additional hp when I'm flying doing 120mph due to decreased wind resistance... the gullible ones say "no-shoot!" I say "yeah, Callaway is some engineering company." Long story longer, I saw Reeves out there a couple years ago at the Callaway reunion, and he probably saw my car and said "WTF??? Who sold these??"

So, sorry guys, I've infiltrated Callaway's code of ethics... and I'll do it again. I will get the aero nose within a couple months...

Then we'll talk about integrity, exlusivity and all the other hoopla that they attempt to use to maintain "exclusivity".
Old 10-07-2001, 10:47 PM
callaway95
Burning Brakes

Integrity within business today is a rarity, therefore, Reeve's & Co. should be regarded with a high level of respect through his efforts to maintain his cars' originality. If separate body panels, components, emblems, etc. were sold without regard to his idea of a "complete" car, the undiscovered "clones" will start to magically appear.

I'm certain that Reeve's could have a much better bottom line (perhaps in the short-term) if he decided to sell-out, but it would make you think twice about becoming a repeat customer if he undermined the value of your car by allowing imitations to exist.

At least their catalog doesn't look like take-off of MidAmerica Designs or Corvette Central like some other tuners.......
Old 10-08-2001, 11:32 AM
Arisa
Race Director

Default Re: Question on Callaway Aero body hoods

Ok just so I know we are on the same page.....

I have yet to see a Callaway "stopped" where I can drool at it !!!! Every one I have seen in person seams to be in a BIG hurry :D so it's a little hard to look close at the hood!

I asked this question because most of the pics I have seen look like there is two holes just left in the hood. Maybe there are "teardrops" in place of the holes & what I am seeing is a shadow line. I still stand by my first thought, if I paid that sort of money (Yes I am jealous of those of you lucky enough to own one) I personally would want my hood smooth, but that is my opinion only!

Maybe they (the hoods) look great in person, I am just going by what I have seen. Would I like to have a BK2 with an Aerokit ? In a heartbeat if I could afford one! I think the nose is still the best one ever put on a Vette, no contest !

*89x2*, Actually I was aware of the fact that a lot of fitting was required, but thanks for saying something.

Thanks guys for all the replies!

Neal

[Modified by Arisa, 11:26 AM 10/8/2001]
Old 10-08-2001, 05:53 PM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

There is a picture in the most recent Corvette Fever magazine of 4, C4 vettes together. Two of them have the original emblems and two have the teardrops. It really shows the differnce in the overall look of the front end of the car between having the emblems and having the teardrops, (even though you cant actually see the teardrops from that distance, its more the abscence of the emblems that makes a difference). In the same article there are individual pictures of the two with the teardrops where you can actually see the teardrops. (Yes, the two with the teardrops are either total Callaways or have some Callaway modifications.)

I would still love to have a set of the teardrops, if someone would like to help me, I would greatly appreciate it. :yesnod:

On the other hand, does someone know of something else to replace the emblem with? I don't want it to look like the wart on the witches nose, however.

Jim S. :seeya :flag:

Get notified of new replies

To Question on Callaway Aero body hoods

Old 10-11-2001, 05:58 PM
90Callaway
Pro

Back to the original question of NOT being able to patch the holes in the hood left by the emblem. Brand new hoods from GM have the holes predrilled by the way. The answer is NO they CAN NOT patch the holes left by the emblem.

I just had my car completely redone by the body shop Callaway uses for all their "factory installed" Aerobody cars this Spring. It was explained to me by the owner (who has worked on Corvettes for 30 years) that no matter what he does the filler used will eventually shrink and leave dimples in the hood. EVERY Aerobody car he has done has the teardrops. You could buy a body kit and have some other shop install it... if you own a Callaway that is. Sometimes they fill the holes. I decided I wanted mine authentic so I got the teardrops. He would have done it either way if I wanted it. I had in fact originally planned not to use them until the problem was explained to me.

BTW- I completely agree with Callaway's policy to NOT sell Aerobody kits or parts to non-Callaway car owners. If you don't have the internals... you should not have the externals. Otherwise, you're just a poser. Sorry...
Old 10-12-2001, 12:10 PM
TAC
Drifting

Default Re: Question on Callaway Aero body hoods (90Callaway)

Is anyone gonna post a picture of these teardrops? After so much press I gotta know what they look like! :yesnod:
Old 10-13-2001, 06:51 PM
90Callaway
Pro

Default Re: Question on Callaway Aero body hoods (TAC)

You can kind of see them here. I don't have a close up and I'm too comfortable right now to go get one...

Quick Reply: Question on Callaway Aero body hoods