Jared1984
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea about having a L98 kit also....would definetly consider one for my 89
Old 02-20-2007, 08:29 AM
torchred96
Pro

wow...very cool! A few question for ya and others on the forum who know.

1: are our stock ltx 10.4 to 10.8 engines too high in compression to get a worthwhile increase? If the 450 rwhp is true, then of course it is worthwhile. I just thot that was too high already. I know that the charge temp decreases because of the distance which is nice. Is that what makes it ok w/o an intercooler?

2: What about the guys like me with just a cam? Specifically the hotcam on the lt4 engine...I don't think this cam is designed for boost but how will it work out?

3: What about guys with modified ...ie higher compression ratios. Will they see a benefit or will they risk detonation..

4: How is detonation controlled? Is our knock sensor system sufficient?

5: Any underhood developmental shots would be really really cool!!! as would more under the car pics

And Like everyone else, I hope this can be installed for a reasonable price...LOOKS AWESOME. I think setting a lower price would sell a lot more units and thus give you more potential profit...especially for most of us C4 DIYers.

thanks!
Sam

Last edited by torchred96; 02-20-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:39 AM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I want to keep an eye on this one.. Looks like a cool idea.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:33 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_v3tt3
Paul Major held the number 1 qualifying spot at the Orlando event with the rear mount - just posted to show lag isnt an issue
Lag is never an issue in drag racing, where only full throttle/high rpm is used.
Street driving and track use (throttle on/off/on/off/etc.) is where lag issues will rear their ugly heads.
All that piping cannot help but exacerbate turbo lag...the issue will be "just how much?"

Originally Posted by ITHZ
they run 200 degree's cooler and get about 50hp gain from the temp difference.
200 degrees? 50hp?
Anyone can throw wild-a$$ guesses and speculation around like they are fact.....just don't expect everyone to believe them.
Until an inbiased party verifies some of these "too-good-to-be-true" claims, I would be (and am) skeptical.

Larry
code5coupe

Last edited by rocco16; 02-20-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 AM
rhanselman
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared1984
Any idea about having a L98 kit also....would definetly consider one for my 89
Yes,

The L98 is next...
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 AM
rhanselman
Drifting

Originally Posted by torchred96
wow...very cool! A few question for ya and others on the forum who know.

1: are our stock ltx 10.4 to 10.8 engines too high in compression to get a worthwhile increase? If the 450 rwhp is true, then of course it is worthwhile. I just thot that was too high already. I know that the charge temp decreases because of the distance which is nice. Is that what makes it ok w/o an intercooler?
Car has an intercooler. 400RWHP/TQ is the Goal 450 is what I would like to see...

2: What about the guys like me with just a cam? Specifically the hotcam on the lt4 engine...I don't think this cam is designed for boost but how will it work out?
From what I've been told, I think the stock cam would be best. No idea if your cam will work or not...

3: What about guys with modified ...ie higher compression ratios. Will they see a benefit or will they risk detonation..
They risk detonation

4: How is detonation controlled? Is our knock sensor system sufficient?
The tuner will have to answer this one... Still some testing to do...

5: Any underhood developmental shots would be really really cool!!! as would more under the car pics
More this week...

And Like everyone else, I hope this can be installed for a reasonable price...LOOKS AWESOME. I think setting a lower price would sell a lot more units and thus give you more potential profit...especially for most of us C4 DIYers.

thanks!
Sam
Thanks for the questions Sam

Last edited by rhanselman; 02-20-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:58 PM
rhanselman
Drifting

Originally Posted by rocco16
Lag is never an issue in drag racing, where only full throttle/high rpm is used.
Street driving and track use (throttle on/off/on/off/etc.) is where lag issues will rear their ugly heads.
All that piping cannot help but exacerbate turbo lag...the issue will be "just how much?"

200 degrees? 50hp?
Anyone can throw wild-a$$ guesses and speculation around like they are fact.....just don't expect everyone to believe them.
Until an inbiased party verifies some of these "too-good-to-be-true" claims, I would be (and am) skeptical.

Larry
code5coupe
Larry,

Thanks for the input.

You bet... the system will be verified by several unbiased parties. Probably more testing then will absolutely necessary. As always there will be non-believers and we know that. These people will just have to drive one and see if they like it or not.

As far as claims from us, there are Zero. The systems will do what they will do and no more. We do have some basic expectations based on other STS systems but that’s about it...

After we complete the project all the data will be published and the cars will be available for interested parties.

As far as skepticism, at this point without any claims it might be more appropriate to be hopeful… Skepticism may follow…

Cheers,
Ron
Old 02-20-2007, 02:06 PM
86VX1
Drifting

very nice, i think their universal kit would work great on an l98.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Cadder
Instructor

I've read a few articles on the STS Turbo system and I also saw one of the systems featured on Horse Power TV. Everything I've seen and read has stated that there is no lag. It is reported that there is a slight drop in PSI, but the cooler running turbo is supposed to make up for that slight drop...not exceed it.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Chapindad
Racer

Sounds like a great Chirstmas present! And another winter project to do. I would be very interested on my 87 L98 motor.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:23 PM
rhanselman
Drifting

Originally Posted by 86VX1
very nice, i think their universal kit would work great on an l98.
We are utilizing parts from the universal kit and are making a C4 specific kit... We don't think there will be much to change from the LT1 to the L98 or even the LT4.

The TT LT5 kit is the most challenging and it's almost done…

RH
Old 02-20-2007, 02:50 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadder
I've read a few articles on the STS Turbo system and I also saw one of the systems featured on Horse Power TV. Everything I've seen and read has stated that there is no lag. It is reported that there is a slight drop in PSI, but the cooler running turbo is supposed to make up for that slight drop...not exceed it.
With the turbo back there you don't need an intercooler and all it's plumbing. Plus most of the weight is added to the back not the front of the car.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:13 PM
ITHZ
Racer

200 degrees? 50hp?

Larry
code5coupe
I ment to say "about" 200 degrees.That is what joe on Horsepower said.I have seen that same episode about 4 times.It's not the gospel,just what he said.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:45 PM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering why they chose to go with a Single turbo, vice a dual on the C-5/6's (Other than cost)? I thought the dual turbo's were what helped manage the reduction of turbo lag in those setups, but please correct me if I am wrong. Either way I'm VERY interested.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:48 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

200 degrees? 50hp?

Larry
code5coupe
Have you researched any of the other STS products? If you think about the fact that all the exhaust from a 350ci motor is being crammed into one pipe feeding the turbo thats going to help eliminate the lag issue. Im not saying there will be none, but your post is blowing it out of proportion IMHO.

Funny thing is Ive actually owned a twin turbo Corvette (unlike most who talk about lag) and it had literally no lag issues at all if I was acclerating from the correct gear. Lag happens on small motors with huge turbos. A properly sized ball bearing turbo should drive very smooth....just like my car did.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:14 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

This is going to save a whole bunch of guys the headache and hassle of all the H/C packages when they can bolt one of these on, tune it and turn the key. All the power, driveability, etc etc. You just pay it in one chunk, thats all.
Boosted cars are awesome! If youve never driven/ridden in one youll become a believer, I know I did.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:16 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Funny thing is Ive actually owned a twin turbo Corvette and it had literally no lag issues at all if I was acclerating from the correct gear.
You have hit the nail squarely on the head, Surf.
BUT.... turbo lag is failure to give immediate response, especially when you are NOT in the ideal gear/at the ideal rpm.

You can take the most outrageously-sized (large) turbo and, if you keep the engine boiling at 5000rpm under a good load, you may not experience any discernible lag. Conversely, you can take a well-matched turbo on a well thought-out and designed system, and can get it to exhibit lag under the right set of circumstances.

I see the rear mounted turbocharger as presenting a different type of "lag", one where response is compromised because the turbo has to pressurize such a large volume (an extra 15' or so of large diameter piping?). The larger the volume, the more time it takes to pressurize it; simple fact. The question in my mind is how much extra time will it take?
Will it be seconds or milliseconds? I don't know. Who does know??

I realize any turbo setup is a compromise. The rear-mount gives up a little efficiency for the sake of ease-of-layout. (If all that distance means lowering of charge temperatures, then it also has to mean lowering of exhaust temps by an even larger amount because of the higher exhaust temps, which will negatively affect turbo efficiency)
The rear-mount may very well be the best way to achieve an affordable turbo for the Corvette.
But no lunch is free. What does the rear-mount turbo give up? It has to give up something, you can't avoid that. (every system gives up something in order to get something else...) That is my question.

I hope this works out stupendously. Good luck to STS and the crew there. I'll be watching this closely....

In the meantime, and until speculation is replace by hard, impartial data, I'll remain both skeptical and hopeful!!

Larry
code5coupe

Get notified of new replies

To C4 LT1 Rear Mounted Turbo Update (pics)

Old 02-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
I'll be waiting very impatiently

my wife is going to kill me over this one
I've had wives, now I have a Corvette. I'm keeping the Corvette......

Rhanselman, do you think this would be too much for an all forged 388 @ 11:1 CR? Do you have numbers, rating, specs etc. on the turbo unit? Is boost easily adjustable?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:24 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
they can bolt one of these on, tune it and turn the key.
Now, that sounds SOOOOOOO easy!

STS should hire you to write the ad copy for this , cuisin'.

Out of the thousands of Corvette owners on this forum, how many have the ability to "bolt it on" properly and "tune" it, before driving off into the sunset in a cloud of tire smoke?

Three people? Five?

Ya' gotta' be realistic, man. Horsepower is seldom cheap and it's never easy.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 02-20-2007, 05:39 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Maaan, I gotta have one of these!!!!

So how is the turbo unit lubricated?

Maaan, I gotta have one of these!!!!

Quick Reply: C4 LT1 Rear Mounted Turbo Update (pics)