C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Being a "good" Christian owning a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:44 PM
jordanpingrey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being a "good" Christian owning a Corvette

I've received some flak over the years from my Christian friends and obviously my Christian mother, all with the complaint that owning something like a Corvette; 1988 Blk/Blk CPE 4+3, is materialistic. A little background for you:

When I purchased the Vette, I needed a car and the Vette only cost 8000k where as a little honda civic with 90,000 miles was about the same price. Well the obvious choice was made and I found myself with a 64,000mi blk fire breathing dragon, but as the weeks passed after my purchase I was criticized for falling victim to materialism and it actually caused some people to look differently at me, weird enough as that is. And of course i paid a lot of attention to the new car making sure that it was properly detailed and clean when ever i drove it, again it was a blk vette so keeping it looking showroom 80% of the time was a job in itself and I think added to the perception that i spent a lot of time on the car. I've had people comment that i should just sell the vette and get something more economical, i rebut with the fact that my vette gets 25mpg on hiway and 16 in town which is not too bad, and selling my vette would only get my maybe 7k since it now has 93,000mi. Everybody thinks that Corvettes cost a lot of money but they're really cheap, they are a lot of car for the money and I plan to keep buying vettes throughout my life.

So I just want some discussion from you'all on what you think about owning a Corvette and still being in the religious boundaries. What would you think about if you saw your pastor drive up to your Sunday morning service in a vette? My answer is: I've finally found the right church!

God Bless
Semper Fi
Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Being judgemental of others by their material possessions is not very characteristic of a true Christian. Taking pride in what God gave you is not a bad thing as long as it doesn't interfere with more important things like people, relationships, and the well being of children. God takes a great delight in our happiness. He would probably even like a ride in the Vette .
Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 PM
smack123
Drifting

I'm not religious myself, but have respect for those with a strong faith.

I'm pretty sure if you knocked on the pearly gates and asked God, he'd say that the C4 is a fine automobile, and that all good upstanding christians should be driving one.

The spawn of satan drive Porsches and Ricers.

In all seriousness, again coming from an athiest background, what makes the Corvette so special, aren't all vehicles "materialistic"? Sure, maybe some are moreso than others, but at the end of the day, does God think we're all going to take the bus?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Just reply, "Judge not lest ye be judged."
Old 04-04-2007, 11:58 PM
fuzzydawg
Instructor

Way I figure it, if you realize you're blessed by being able to own something like a Vette, without: 1) becoming arrogant about it; or 2) worshipping the daggone thing (NOT the same as taking good care of it, mind you), then you're okay. Realize that material things come and go, they don't (or shouldn't) make us who we are... there's nothing in scripture that says we shouldn't enjoy this world. And to tell the truth, EVERY time I'm cruising on a beautiful day with the top down and the engine rumbling, I thank the Lord for another beautiful day and the chance to enjoy it.

So... go for it.

Another former member of the Green Machine USMCR
Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 AM
ozvette87
Pro

Ive been around this sorta situation before...
first off, are you preying to the Vette or GOD every night?
does the Vette make you happy?
when you die, will GOD judge you on the fact you owned a Corvette or whether you loved and cared about all his stuff as he says?

......keep the Vette
Old 04-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

Originally Posted by smack123
I'm not religious myself, but have respect for those with a strong faith.

I'm pretty sure if you knocked on the pearly gates and asked God, he'd say that the C4 is a fine automobile, and that all good upstanding christians should be driving one.

The spawn of satan drive Porsches and Ricers.

In all seriousness, again coming from an athiest background, what makes the Corvette so special, aren't all vehicles "materialistic"? Sure, maybe some are moreso than others, but at the end of the day, does God think we're all going to take the bus?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:35 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you should tell all your judgemental fellow Christians to go to Hell. Most of them are probably paying way more for their new cars with automatic headlights and power moonroofs and navigation systems.

Cruising in the old vette with the top down at 80mph through twisty winery roads is quite a religious experience.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 04-05-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:37 AM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

I do not see a problem with owning a Corvette regardless of the value of the car. You can be a good Christian and drive a Corvette, it's what's in your heart not what you drive. The way to heaven does not include driving a boring Toyota. Sounds like you have some very judgemental friends.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:42 AM
shortcut96
Instructor

[QUOTE=jordanpingrey;1559680302]
So I just want some discussion from you'all on what you think about owning a Corvette and still being in the religious boundaries.

These to things have nothing to do with each other..If your friends are questioning your faith because of a car you need new friends..
Old 04-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Hmmm I remember this somewhere. "he who is without sin , cast the first stone".

Dont worry about others judging you. Everyone has opinions, especially those who want to tell you how to run your life.

Enjoy your life, smile more often, tell your wife and kids you love them and be charitable. Leave the judging to the one that matters. Life is too short enjoy it why you can.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Yakko
Le Mans Master

You would be a full on sinner, damned to hell, if you bought a 63 split window.

A C4, not so much.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:04 AM
juanathandavid
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my parents are as christian as they come. they both had sting rays back in the day. now i have an 89.

Psa 37:4 Delight yourself also in the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

edit: i love all my toys but i KNOW where(who) they came from...and i know they are temporary and can be taken away at any moment. enjoy them while you can
Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Randy T
Pro

What would you think about if you saw your pastor drive up to your Sunday morning service in a vette? My answer is: I've finally found the right church!

I wouldn't mind seeing my pastor drive a vette. He doesn't, but there are a couple of them in the parking lot on a regular basis, as well as some other very nice (and pricier) vehicles.

I view my own (also cheap) Vette as a blessing, really. It's a fun car and I really enjoy it. I don't idolize it just as I don't idolize my house or any other possession. What God has allowed me to have or possess, I also do my best to take care of. I get a lot of satisfaction out of keeping my Vette clean just like I do with my house. I take pride in both, but do not elevate either to a status that they, as possessions, do not deserve. It's great to have a nice house to live in and I'm fortunate and blessed to be able to have a Vette as a third car.

I would encourage you to enjoy your Vette; that, and to tell others who may look disdainfully at your owning it that you are appreciative of God's blessing you with it.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 AM
Randy T
Pro

Originally Posted by Yakko
You would be a full on sinner, damned to hell, if you bought a 63 split window.

A C4, not so much.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:16 AM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I think you should tell all your judgemental fellow Christians to go to Hell. Most of them are probably paying way more for their new cars with automatic headlights and power moonroofs and navigation systems.

Cruising in the old vette with the top down at 80mph through twisty winery roads is quite a religious experience.
Amen!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:46 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

This is what pisses me off about organized religion. Who has the right to tell me what I can and cannot own as long as it is legal?

Get notified of new replies

To Being a "good" Christian owning a Corvette

Old 04-05-2007, 01:56 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That's pretty much why I hate church, too much organized religion (i.e. sheepish ignorance) going on in there.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
That's pretty much why I hate church, too much organized religion (i.e. sheepish ignorance) going on in there.
Karl Marx had one thing right: Religion is the opium is the people.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 AM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

If people told me that I was being materialistic due to owning a Corvette, I'd respond with KMA! I'm sure you can figure that one out, but if you can't, the acronym stands for Kiss My Azz. I'm Jewish and no matter what religion you are, you should do what you want and not worry about what other people think. You do what you want. If others don't like what you like or what you want or possess, who gives a hoot? They won't make you happy. You'll make yourself happy and if owing a Corvette enables you to be happy, then it shouldn't matter in the slightest what others say about it. And if they denigrate you because you own a Corvette, it's time to make new friends.

Quick Reply: Being a "good" Christian owning a Corvette