Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

93- How do you use a grease gun? <not the mafia type>

Old 05-06-2007, 11:41 PM
93*Corvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 93- How do you use a grease gun? <not the mafia type>

I know that this seems stupid, but I have never greased a zerk fitting. My question is I just replaced my ball joints. Since they are new, I know they need grease. I just bought a grease gun, I tried the tip and it fit the fitting...

Now what? How do I know how much grease to put in it? I'm afraid to pump too much in and end up ruining the ball joint.... How do you tell the proper "level"?
Old 05-06-2007, 11:53 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hold the end onto the zerk fitting snugly and squeeze the handle twice. Don't worry about overpacking it. The extra grease will ooze out as the ball joint moves around. Wipe off the grease so it doesn't attract dust. You can also get some small red caps for the grease fittings.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:59 PM
hthebeard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93*Corvette
I know that this seems stupid, but I have never greased a zerk fitting. My question is I just replaced my ball joints. Since they are new, I know they need grease. I just bought a grease gun, I tried the tip and it fit the fitting...

Now what? How do I know how much grease to put in it? I'm afraid to pump too much in and end up ruining the ball joint.... How do you tell the proper "level"?
On all the cars I have used a grease gun on, I just keep pumping until grease starts to ooze out of seal, but don't take my word for it because I have never done it on a Vette, and make sure the tip is locked on to the fitting before you start pumping.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:59 PM
93*Corvette
Pro

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Hold the end onto the zerk fitting snugly and squeeze the handle twice. Don't worry about overpacking it. The extra grease will ooze out as the ball joint moves around. Wipe off the grease so it doesn't attract dust. You can also get some small red caps for the grease fittings.
I actually pumped it about 5 times... The rubber on the ball joint didn't seem to be getting bigger... so I stopped.... Did I damage it? Can you take the zerk fitting out to release the pressure?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:01 AM
93*Corvette
Pro

Originally Posted by hthebeard
On all the cars I have used a grease gun on, I just keep pumping until grease starts to ooze out of seal, but don't take my word for it because I have never done it on a Vette, and make sure the tip is locked on to the fitting before you start pumping.
I've heard the you can see it ooze on U-joints... Never knew how they did it on ball joints....
Old 05-07-2007, 12:14 AM
hthebeard
Instructor

Originally Posted by 93*Corvette
I actually pumped it about 5 times... The rubber on the ball joint didn't seem to be getting bigger... so I stopped.... Did I damage it? Can you take the zerk fitting out to release the pressure?
Like I said before, you need to make sure the tip of gun is locked onto fitting and you should be able to feel it snap in place. Some force may be necessary.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:16 AM
or92vette
Burning Brakes

You pumped 5 times?

You're fine....

If anything, underfilled. I normally pump until I see or hear grease exiting the joint.

Don't take the zerk out.

Do wipe off any excess....

Now...repeat in 5K miles!
Old 05-07-2007, 12:43 AM
hthebeard
Instructor

Originally Posted by or92vette
You pumped 5 times?

You're fine....

If anything, underfilled. I normally pump until I see or hear grease exiting the joint.

Don't take the zerk out.

Do wipe off any excess....

Now...repeat in 5K miles!
Just keep pumpen until you see grease coming out. I never stop pumping until I get off completely
Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 AM
93*Corvette
Pro

Originally Posted by hthebeard
Like I said before, you need to make sure the tip of gun is locked onto fitting and you should be able to feel it snap in place. Some force may be necessary.
The tip is snapping on correctly... I tried it on the old ball joint and saw how the grease actually gets in... So I know that the grease is getting into the fitting.... What I didn't know is how much to put in which CentralCoaster has explained.... I really appreciate it guys

I just didn't want to "overfill" it and have to spend another $50 at the machine shop.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:50 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You're fine, enjoy!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

If it's overfilled it can drop off onto the inside of the rim and get slung all over on your rotor etc. I squeeze the boot with my hand and pump the gun, feeling for the boot to enlarge. You don't need the boot bulging way out.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:28 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If they are properly lubed than it doesn't take too many pumps. If you're lubing the first time pump more.

Basically the bearings in there require a certain % of air space to work properly. You really can't overfill it, it's not a sealed bearing, the extra grease will come out on its own.

Get notified of new replies

To 93- How do you use a grease gun? <not the mafia type>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93- How do you use a grease gun? <not the mafia type>