Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

91 Service ride control light, What's up with that?

Old 06-26-2007, 08:03 PM
boonie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Service ride control light, What's up with that?

Every time i start my 91 vette, a "service ride control" suspension light comes on and stays on for about 2 minutes then cuts off, what's up with that? and if this isn't normal how do i correct it? or what maintenance must i perform on my suspension to correct this sisuation?
thanks boonie
Old 06-26-2007, 08:24 PM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have FX3 Suspension. Either one of your shocks gears is bad or broken or one of your shock actuators gears that sits on top of the shock is broken also. There's a code to retrieve it but I can't remember at the moment.

This guy fixed my actuators so I didn't have to buy new one's.
http://captainzcnc.com/index.html
The following users liked this post:
CVG323 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 PM
timmy 93
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slicked25
You have FX3 Suspension. Either one of your shocks gears is bad or broken or one of your shock actuators gears that sits on top of the shock is broken also. There's a code to retrieve it but I can't remember at the moment.

This guy fixed my actuators so I didn't have to buy new one's.
http://captainzcnc.com/index.html
Get a factory service manual for your year.Tells you how to check the codes.Will show which shock is bad or which actuator is not working . Captianzcnc's web sight also shows you what to look for.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:51 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I grabbed this from an old post I had replied to:

FX3 Diagnostics

To clear FX3 codes, turn the ignition to Run but don't start the car. With a small paperclip, jump pins A and C on the ALDL (in the upper left corner of the driver' side knee bolster). These pins are on the upper row and are lettered in this fashion as you look at them: E D C B A

To clear the codes, you must jump the pins for two seconds doing it for a total of three times.

To display the codes (which is simply a series of flashes of the SRC message) jump the pins and turn the ignition to Run and watch the SRC message lamp.

Codes are two digit values and the sequence always begins and ends with a code "12". The SRC light flashes based on each integer of the code and the code repeats three times with a couple of seconds between each code value. For example a Code 12 flashes like this:
12= blink, blink blink / blink, blink blink / blink, blink blink
(there is a about a half second "/" pause between each of the three code intergers)

A code 32 is:
32= blink blink blink, blink blink (and repeats twice more)

After all of the codes have been displayed there is a final code 12 and the sequence repeats until you either pull the jumper or turn the ignition off

Heres the code meanings:
Code 12 = Start of sequence
Code 13 = Left Rear Time Out (possible bad actuator)
Code 14 = Right Front Time Out (same)
Code 21 = Left Front Time Out (same)
Code 22 = Right Rear Time Out (same)

Code 23 = Loss of vehicle speed signal (this code will appear if the ignition switch is cycled On/OFF three times without the vehicle moving. Once the vehicle moves and there are no other codes the SRC light will go OFF but this code remains in history)

Code 31 = Left Front Out of Position (maybe broken gear on shock rod)
Code 32 = Right Front Out of Position (same)
Code 33 = Left Rear Out of Position (same)
Code 34 = Right Rear Out of position (same)

Code 41 = SRC Switch short to Voltage
Code 42 = SRC SWitch open contacts (console switch not positioned at one of the three detents
Code 43 = SRC switch citrcuit open.

Give this a try and report what codes you get. Remember, a Code 12 sarts the sequence and also ends it. Any other codes are repeated three times before the next code is displayed.

Last edited by c4cruiser : 11-30-2005 at 05:35 PM.
This applied to my 92 and came from the 92 FSM. You should be able to retrieve the code srom your 91 by jumpering the same pins in the ALDL.

Post the error codes you get and we can go from there. The fact that the SRC light goes out after a couple minutes is interesting. It may be that a shock gear is damaged but not yet broken or an actuator has some sort of wiriing problem. For most of the codes, the SRC light will remain on as long as a problem is detected.

The system does a self-check everytime the ignition is turned and the car moves. But as I mentioned above, if you cycle the ignition switch (starting the engine or not) three times without the car moving, the SRC light will come on for a short time and a Code 23 is set. But in this case, the light would go off as soon as any forward speed is detected.
The following users liked this post:
CVG323 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The light should come on at vehicle start-up. When the light is on, the system is doing a self check to make sure everything is ok. This should only take about 2-3 seconds. If the light stays on longer than that, it's detecting an error.

The procedure c4cruiser posted is a good one. Except "time out" equals a bad shock, and "out of position" equals a bad actuator.

Last edited by Z-07 freak; 06-26-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 AM
USA1LT1
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

If the light stays on the entire time your car is running, then you have a problem as the others have described.

Once you've figured out how to read the codes, hopefully it will be a bad front actuator - those are the easiest to get off.

If you have a broken gear inside the actuator, try Captain Z CNC (Google for the link). It's an excellent service with super fast turnaround time, and only cost $150.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 PM
rickgonzalez
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service ride control light

does this apply to my 1991 , light stays on all the time never goes off , does not show a code , check all shocks and gears working fine and active
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by rickgonzalez
does this apply to my 1991 , light stays on all the time never goes off , does not show a code , check all shocks and gears working fine and active
My 91 does the same thing. Thinking of pulling the bulb We should probably get hold of CptZ and see if he has any advice. I did pick up a set of the actuators for spares though, just in case.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by rickgonzalez
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Get notified of new replies

To 91 Service ride control light, What's up with that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 91 Service ride control light, What's up with that?