C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Differential Oil Siphoner

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:12 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Differential Oil Siphoner

What's the Best Pump / Siphon etc. to suck the oil out of the differntial.?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:29 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.c4guru.com/articles/Chang...ntialFluid.pdf
Old 08-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

I have the same pump pictured in the above article and it works well. I had no idea it was a Mity vac brand, it was in a no name box when I got it. +1 for it though.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:44 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default consider a vacume pump homemade 'system'

I have used pumps like the above link, and whereas they do work (and might be required for filling the differential), the manual pumping can be a pain and especially difficult if laying down or underneath something, not to mention of questionable ability to evacuate all that can be sucked out when you might need to move the suction hose around at the same time both hands are busy pumping.

A better alternative for draining the differential would be a suction system such as can fashioned from a shop-vac quite easily (as I did) for only a couple of dollars.

Buy a ten (10) foot length of clear vinyl tubing about half the diameter of the drain plug (e.g. 3/8" OD, 1/4" ID -- available at Homedepot).

If concerned about oil splash inside the shop-vac, line the inside of the shop-vac canister with a garbage bag.

Place a rigid container with a large cut-out in the lid (e.g. large coffee can) inside the shop-vac.

Route the tubing through the shop-vac hose opening and then at least 3" into the coffee can through the large cut-out and duct tape to the can lid.

Then use some additional duct-tape to close-up the shop-vac opening.

Now you have a very inexpensive suction tool, which can just be turned on with a switch, with the noise/smell a bit away from you (thanks to the 10 foot length), --AND-- no manual pumping needed.

Also, this 'system' allows you to lay under the car and manipulate the hose into the differential fill hole opening and wiggle it around to get as much of the old oil and metal filings out as possible.

Obviously, you will still need some pumping mechanism for putting in the new oil, to the previous post's pump or I bought the Lubrimatic pump designed for screwing right to the differential oil containers, BECAUSE, there is too much chance of spilling the oil container while laying under a car with just a hose sticking into it.

Also, I pre-mix the limited-slip additive into the first container after it is half emptied, so that the mixing occurs more quickly.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I have the same pump pictured in the above article and it works well. I had no idea it was a Mity vac brand, it was in a no name box when I got it. +1 for it though.
....just bought this pump 2 weeks ago and did my differential oil change-out.......under $13 and works spectacularly!...extracted oil lube and "installed" new oil w/o incident or effort...
Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Da Mail Man
....just bought this pump 2 weeks ago and did my differential oil change-out.......under $13 and works spectacularly!...extracted oil lube and "installed" new oil w/o incident or effort...
Where did you guys buy it from?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4
Where did you guys buy it from?
....most any automotive shop......
Old 08-27-2007, 04:05 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Thyanx Guys...I found one at Sears $12.99
Old 08-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4
Thyanx Guys...I found one at Sears $12.99
.....be sure to squirt a little oil in through the top inlet/outlet and move the piston-pump rod a bit as per instructions....
Old 08-27-2007, 04:11 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Da Mail Man
.....be sure to squirt a little oil in through the top inlet/outlet and move the piston-pump rod a bit as per instructions....
10-4

Thanx Again

Get notified of new replies

To Differential Oil Siphoner

Quick Reply: Differential Oil Siphoner