C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Front bumper adjustment on a C4

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 PM
jeffya7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front bumper adjustment on a C4

I have a 1995 Corvette and need help with the front bumper. I bought the car last month and never noticed the difference in the gap until last weekend when shooting pictures. I noticed that there are screws when lifting the hood does this adjust the front bumper cover? The hood aligment is perfect so I am assuming it is a minor adjustment to the bumper cover. Any help would be great. Is this a common issue? See pictures below.

Thanks, Jeff.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there are shims between the bumper and the mounting location on the frame you need to add a few on the drivers side. the screws only hold the cover on.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:17 PM
jeffya7
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply Gator. How do youthink that happened? Do you think that the previous owner hit something?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:30 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffya7
Thanks for the reply Gator. How do youthink that happened? Do you think that the previous owner hit something?
does the hood fit well at the rear by the windshield? are the gaps at the doors the same on both sides? if so i would say he bumped the front but that type of hit would have required paint work to the font bumper. anyway it is an easy fix with a few more shims.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

There are two horizontal brackets that have "some" adjustment to equalize the spacing between the hood and the front cover. I have a Power Point file and a Word document that I can send you that shows the brackets, adjusting screws and some words describing how it done. I did this for another forum member a few years ago as he was interested in how I made the adjustment on my 89.

I will need your email address if you are interested in the files. The bad news is that you must remove the front bumper cover to make the adjustment.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Sam Lam
There are two horizontal brackets that have "some" adjustment to equalize the spacing between the hood and the front cover. I have a Power Point file and a Word document that I can send you that shows the brackets, adjusting screws and some words describing how it done. I did this for another forum member a few years ago as he was interested in how I made the adjustment on my 89.

I will need your email address if you are interested in the files. The bad news is that you must remove the front bumper cover to make the adjustment.
Very helpful guy right here!!!!!

I would add that you need to report on the gaps to confirm. From the pic, it looks like the pass side might just be too low. The fasterner might have loosened causing it to slip down. That wouldn't require removal to fix.

The bracket are pretty hard to see/visualize. There is a mounting brace that runs in front of the radiator. This is the mounting structure that bolts to the frame. Shims between the two (on each side) increase the gap for each side. Adding/removing a shim is the only way to change the gap. Believe it or not, there is about 3/8" to 1/2" worth of shims on each side! If you can see them, they are shiney 1" (slotted) squares.

I suspect Sam Lam's (Bobs) documentation is very good. He has been very helpful to me (for other documentation)!

Gregg
Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Do a search on this topic, it's been covered alot of times. You DON'T need to pull the bumper. You just need to add a shim to the drivers side (and of course loosen all the structure to allow the assembly to move). This is very common due to towing, bumping, in-correct jacking, etc. It just takes time and patience (and a shim or two). It is IMPERATIVE that your door to hood gap is correct on both sides before doing this, and if it is a hood adjustment, remove the locking pins before adjusting or you will have a very memerable experience. Also make sure your hinge pins are not worn.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:50 PM
JohnyH
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sent a PM, I have the same problem.

John
Old 10-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I would check the hood hinges for slop before pulling the cover. Open the hood and gently lift the left. Mine had the slop. I addjusted the bumpers and it lines up nicely. Care must be taken to not make a drastic change that will lock your hood down at the latches. The proper fix for sloppy hinges would be new ones.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Email with Power Point, Word and JPG files sent to Johnyh and Jeffya7 as requested. Also sent photo of my hood to bumper spacing after realignment. Hope these are helpful to you.

Bob
Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

PM sent TOO!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Info sent to DanZ51. Hope it is helpful to you.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 PM
grestmit
Heel & Toe

I have the same kind of problem on my 89, except the nose drops on driver side. I have not been able set it rite, so could you send the file to me. It would be much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 AM
ynk1121
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Sam Lam's permission, I converted his document to pdf and hosted it for all to download to save him the trouble of emailing it out to everyone that needs it.
http://mysite.verizon.net/brianjbalo...mperadjust.pdf
Old 11-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ynk1121
With Sam Lam's permission, I converted his document to pdf and hosted it for all to download to save him the trouble of emailing it out to everyone that needs it.
http://mysite.verizon.net/brianjbalo...mperadjust.pdf
I responded to a thread about a year ago to a forum member who was asking for help in this area. I wrote out a "ruff" Word document that I though would help him. The document should have included more details along with some photos to improve the clarity of the process.

Since making a comment on this thread, I am amazed at the number of people asking for help on this topic. The adustment is not difficult, but it is time consuming. I will do some modificatins to the Word doc, including adding photos to improve the procedure. The revised copy will be forward it to Brian.

I will post a note when the revisions are completed.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 AM
oaklands
Instructor

Count me in. I have the same problem. I did download the pdf provided earlier. Thanks for the help.

Keith
Old 10-31-2014, 12:48 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I responded to a thread about a year ago to a forum member who was asking for help in this area. I wrote out a "ruff" Word document that I though would help him. The document should have included more details along with some photos to improve the clarity of the process.

Since making a comment on this thread, I am amazed at the number of people asking for help on this topic. The adustment is not difficult, but it is time consuming. I will do some modificatins to the Word doc, including adding photos to improve the procedure. The revised copy will be forward it to Brian.

Hi Sam Lam or can anyone, direct me to the latest document for aligning the C4 front bumper? Mine is a 1991. It's off alignment about a 1/4 inch on the driver side right where the harder part of the side of the cover meets up with the side of the hood and even more where top of the harder part of the cover and meets up with the hood. Makes me want to throw up every time I see it.

Last edited by hgoodwiniii; 10-31-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Front bumper adjustment on a C4

Old 10-31-2014, 09:34 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Boy, you really dug deep to find this info from 2007! Most of these posts make it look a lot harder that it is. You don't need to remove the bumper cover! There are four bolts holding the complete bumper assembly to the front of the frame. That's where the shims fit. These bolts are in slots for up/down or right/left adjustment. The shims are for forward/ rearward adjustment. Loosen the bolts for the skid plates at the bottom of the bumper.

The bottom two bolts are hiding directly below the visible bolts. This photo shows the drivers side bolt.

Left front bolt for bumper.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:39 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Boy, you really dug deep to find this info from 2007! Most of these posts make it look a lot harder that it is. You don't need to remove the bumper cover! There are four bolts holding the complete bumper assembly to the front of the frame. That's where the shims fit. These bolts are in slots for up/down or right/left adjustment. The shims are for forward/ rearward adjustment. Loosen the bolts for the skid plates at the bottom of the bumper.

The bottom two bolts are hiding directly below the visible bolts. This photo shows the drivers side bolt.

Left front bolt for bumper.
Ok, got it thanks. I'll give it a go.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:22 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead anyone have any documents or info etc that was talked about in this thread ? Did a bunper swap yesterday and the gap between the hood and bunper cover seems excessive . Thx!
Mikegillvt@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: Front bumper adjustment on a C4