Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

glass/acrylic targa top, paint/replacement options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM
KevinRR
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wound up sending my (poorly painted, cracked, separated at the front seam) top to melrose in illinois (iirc) to have a new blue tinted acrylic lense installed. It cost about $600 plus shipping. They reused my original frame/base and installed a new lense on it. They are top notch professionals and it looks good as new. I'm still in the process of trying to install new GM weatherstrip, align the top and windows to prevent leaks etc. though.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM
jlas1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate it. Just did the weather striping on my 95.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 PM
hamrhed42
Advanced

You could be the first on the block with a carbon fiber top...
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=143112
Old 09-01-2010, 06:05 PM
ElvisGraceBo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a "new" top from somone here on the forum for $550. It's in like new condition. I sold my old top for $300 to somone else on the forum, net= new top for $250. Whoop Whoop!!!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:05 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinRR
I wound up sending my (poorly painted, cracked, separated at the front seam) top to melrose in illinois (iirc) to have a new blue tinted acrylic lense installed. It cost about $600 plus shipping. They reused my original frame/base and installed a new lense on it. They are top notch professionals and it looks good as new. I'm still in the process of trying to install new GM weatherstrip, align the top and windows to prevent leaks etc. though.
I hope yours is better than mine. As I believe their quality is rather poor. The main thing is the top warping after a few months, sh!tty paint work, and their black out tape all peeling off.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 PM
KevinRR
Racer

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
I hope yours is better than mine. As I believe their quality is rather poor. The main thing is the top warping after a few months, sh!tty paint work, and their black out tape all peeling off.
The black tape on the inside of the lense where it meets the rubberstrip is sh!tty and cheap as hell...they'd be better served to just leave that stuff off.

The rattlecan paint on the edge trim, I can live with, or redo myself later.

My lense did come off of the frame after only a couple of months and I had to send it back to be re-bonded, BUT that was more likely the fault of my stiff cheap aftermarket weatherstripping than any problem with their work.

And, even though they initially advised that since it was my original frame I should not need to do any adjusting of the top for it to fit, I found that there was WAY too much pressure on the front corners, so I had to do a LOT of adjusting of all four brackets even after installing new GM weatherstripping. I just spent about 6 hours adjusting and testing fitment on the top to try and be sure it doesnt come apart again.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 PM
SoCaliVette
Instructor

Last edited by SoCaliVette; 09-02-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

The black tape on the inside of the lense where it meets the rubberstrip is sh!tty and cheap as hell...they'd be better served to just leave that stuff off.

The rattlecan paint on the edge trim, I can live with, or redo myself later.

My lense did come off of the frame after only a couple of months and I had to send it back to be re-bonded, BUT that was more likely the fault of my stiff cheap aftermarket weatherstripping than any problem with their work.

And, even though they initially advised that since it was my original frame I should not need to do any adjusting of the top for it to fit, I found that there was WAY too much pressure on the front corners, so I had to do a LOT of adjusting of all four brackets even after installing new GM weatherstripping. I just spent about 6 hours adjusting and testing fitment on the top to try and be sure it doesnt come apart again.
I had them repaint my frame before they put a new lense on it. And they painted it with a shiny black color instead of a flat black, and had all kinds of splotches all over the paint. Like they used cheap rattle can paint and sprayed it way too close. Waste of money as I paid extra to get the frame repainted. They also painted over all the hardware which looked sh!tty. But at least I didn't have to mess with adjusting the top.

I ripped that shriveled up black tape out, and coated the lense where the tape was with some black primer that Melrose sent me. I haven't checked to see if that is holding up.

I did notice some water getting in past the front corners of the weatherstripping where it wraps around the front of the frame. I guess they didn't glue the ends of the weatherstripping good enough, or didn't seal off the dogs ears enough. But I didn't notice a lot of water to mess with ripping out the weatherstripping and redoing it.

The worst thing is the top warped at the front and rear after the summer started. It looks like it warped where it is glued to the frame. I at least hope it doesn't come unglued as that is the reason I had them rebuild it as it was an Astro Top and half of it was unglued.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 AM
KevinRR
Racer

IF you're talking about the area about 6" forward of the rear edge, mine has a "bend" there now, it had it as soon as the new lense was installed. The uniform curvature of the lense from front to back is interrupted there at a bit of an angle. I'm fine with that really, as long as it doesnt come apart or leak.

I'm afraid to take the car outside and spray it with water. I think I just need to get a waterproof car cover and never drive on days with a chance of rainfall.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 AM
KevinRR
Racer

Originally Posted by SoCaliVette
What about something like this?
That's cool and all, the workmanship looks good from the pic.

But...

most of the c4 owners are the older crowd...not involved in the import carbon fiber craze of the 2000's. I did the unpainted carbon fiber thing for a few years, and got over it quick...then I painted the CF body color and was much happier.

Usually the final production version of whatever the CF part is, weighs the same as or more than the stock part it replaced...at least on sportscars (which are usually made with lightweight body panels). The exceptions I could see for a c4 would be the hood and doors.

I mean, I can't see a CF panel being any lighter than an acrylic panel. Maybe slightly lighter than a FG panel? Still, not sure most people, especially c4 owners, could/would justify spending a grand on an unpainted CF top instead of simply getting a new acrylic one or a used FG one and painting it. They're not going to do it for the weight savings and they're not going to spend a grand and turn around and paint it body color, versus just painting a FG one instead.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:17 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

IF you're talking about the area about 6" forward of the rear edge, mine has a "bend" there now, it had it as soon as the new lense was installed. The uniform curvature of the lense from front to back is interrupted there at a bit of an angle. I'm fine with that really, as long as it doesnt come apart or leak.

I'm afraid to take the car outside and spray it with water. I think I just need to get a waterproof car cover and never drive on days with a chance of rainfall.
Yeah, it's like 6" from the rear and runs all the way across. It looks like it has sunk in. I also noticed some dimples at the front corners. It doesn't look good, but I guess as long as the top doesn't come unglued and fly off. The Astro Top didn't warp, it just came unglued. Though, I'd never buy an Astro Top.

I think Melrose may have a warranty on the top warping. But I figure after I wasted time and paid for shipping to have them put a new lense on it, that it would just warp again.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 AM
SoCaliVette
Instructor

Last edited by SoCaliVette; 09-02-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 AM
KevinRR
Racer

No Sir, you are not right. I am over 10 years doing composites and i can tell you one thing. Any part made out of a pure carbon fiber will be stronger minimum twice and will be lighter almost 3 times.
Check this out.
The oem fiberglas SKIN (without frame and all other things)is 13lb
The carbon fiber one is 4LB
If i will step on the fiberglass top, it will crack
If i will step on the carbon fiber top, here is how it will look like
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/DSC00084.jpg
I know some people, they just paint the carbon fiber over and they spend way more than a grand
So bottom line, you want c4 owners to spend a grand on a top that is 10lb lighter than FG, but will most likely be painted over just like FG.

Please see the magnaflow exhaust thread for thoughts (mine and others) about c4 owners and purchase of expensive modifications.

I'm not hating on your idea or product. I think it is great. And honestly if you had come to market with this early this year before I had melrose re-lense mine, I would have bought this. Most c4 owners will not.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 AM
SoCaliVette
Instructor

Last edited by SoCaliVette; 09-02-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 AM
KevinRR
Racer

If you are going to spend a grand to get a Lexan top which heavier than a carbon fiber one and it is not that strong as a carbon one. Why do you think, most C4 guys will not buy it? It is all about what people like and why they want to get it. Some of them want it because they want to save some weight, some of them want to get it because of the carbon fiber look. Some of them want to have something different than others.
This product came out back in 2009.
I'd never heard tell of it...

Nor was any mention of it made when I inquired about where to obtain a new top.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...targa-top.html

Of course, I did specifically ask for a glass top...I was unaware any CF option existed, and I didnt want to spend a bunch of money on a used FG top that would have to be repainted anyway.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:47 AM
SoCaliVette
Instructor

Last edited by SoCaliVette; 09-02-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:01 PM
KevinRR
Racer

650 shipped warrantied for the new glass top.

And your 480 price is only good for one more top. Then the price will more than double. So, I dont think that stating an introductory price is a fair comparison of your product versus the standard options.

Get notified of new replies

To glass/acrylic targa top, paint/replacement options?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:13 PM
SoCaliVette
Instructor

Old 09-02-2010, 03:23 PM
KevinRR
Racer

I do not know how much you end up paying for your glass top, but this carbon one is 480 shipped right now. I can give you a link of that.
650 shipped warrantied for the new glass top.

And your 480 price is only good for one more top. Then the price will more than double. So, I dont think that stating an introductory price is a fair comparison of your product versus the standard options.
$480 shipped and warrantied for the new one if it will crack,shrink..etc.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:07 PM
SoCaliVette
Instructor

Quick Reply: glass/acrylic targa top, paint/replacement options?