C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Re-Lexan for Targa Top?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:39 AM
BarelyRuns10's
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re-Lexan for Targa Top?

I had a top shipped to me and some of the shipping tape stuck to the top. When I removed the tape it appears to have removed patches of the Lexan coating. Does anyone know of a way to recoat this top or a fix for this problem. It is otherwise a great top.
I am new to this forum and would appreciate any feed back. I don't wish to contribute to a soap opera, if this topic is not discussed here.Thanks Ray!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:12 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you bought it new, contact the supplier and ship it back. If you bought it used, contact the shipper and try to get your $$ back. Either way, dont spend any more to refinish it. Are you absolutely sure the top is de-laminating, or is it the tape's adhesive that is still stuck to the top? I didn't think the plastic was a laminate piece. Maybe others will chime in.
Mike
Old 04-05-2008, 12:16 PM
tonymax2
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming you're takning about a C4 "glass" top. Original C4 "glass" tops are solid, tinted "plexiglass" acrylic plastic with a coating on the outside (inside coating ?-don't think so) for some scratch resistance and UV protection. The coating will peel, bloom, degrade, etc. as can the plastic itself. "Lexan" is polycarbonate plastic (much stronger & more expensive than acrylic), not a coating and never used by GM for C4 tops. It's very possible that the tape, especially if it's the thin, clear type of packaging tape and was pressed on pretty hard, has pulled off patches of the coating. Getting tape on the top is criminal stupidity, or should be.

If it's just the tape adhesive residue, you might get it off with a solvent without damaging the coating or the plexi, but I'd have to do some research before I'd try any. Tape residue would be ridges on the surface, while coating pulled off would leave a "hole" with edges you can feel. I doubt the owners manual says anything about cleaning the top with other than mild soap and water. Residue will get harder and more difficult or impossible to remove without damage to the surface if exposed to heat or sunlight for any significant legnth of time, like maybe days. Removal is best completed as soon as possible.

I've not heard of any good way to repair the patches or any good way to remove the original coating and re-apply a suitable new coating. If you can't get your money back, I'd suggest talking with someone knowledgeable in the plexiglass fabricating business about possible fixes, or someone in the 'vette paint business about painting the plastic to match the car. Good luck
Old 04-05-2008, 01:43 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tonymax2
I'm assuming you're takning about a C4 "glass" top. Original C4 "glass" tops are solid, tinted "plexiglass" acrylic plastic with a coating on the outside (inside coating ?-don't think so) for some scratch resistance and UV protection. The coating will peel, bloom, degrade, etc. as can the plastic itself. "Lexan" is polycarbonate plastic (much stronger & more expensive than acrylic), not a coating and never used by GM for C4 tops. It's very possible that the tape, especially if it's the thin, clear type of packaging tape and was pressed on pretty hard, has pulled off patches of the coating. Getting tape on the top is criminal stupidity, or should be.

If it's just the tape adhesive residue, you might get it off with a solvent without damaging the coating or the plexi, but I'd have to do some research before I'd try any. Tape residue would be ridges on the surface, while coating pulled off would leave a "hole" with edges you can feel. I doubt the owners manual says anything about cleaning the top with other than mild soap and water. Residue will get harder and more difficult or impossible to remove without damage to the surface if exposed to heat or sunlight for any significant legnth of time, like maybe days. Removal is best completed as soon as possible.
Nothing I've not heard of any good way to repair the patches or any good way to remove the original coating and re-apply a suitable new coating. If you can't get your money back, I'd suggest talking with someone knowledgeable in the plexiglass fabricating business about possible fixes, or someone in the 'vette paint business about painting the plastic to match the car. Good luck
I'd try WD-40 first. It's proven to be safe for all types of surfaces or finishes and gets rid of tape, decal, sticker residues (including those on car paint) etc. Been used by decoraters for years.

Last edited by ZRWON; 04-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:36 PM
RACER 1993
Racer

Lexan is a brand name for plastic, like "Plexiglass" or "Tuff Act". I would think that color is all the way through the material.

I have used Plastix to polish my top, took out a lot of small scratches and I can't see any evidence that there is a film there. If there was I would probably have rubbed through it. Try cleaning it first.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:13 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a commercial adhesive remover if WD doesn't work.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:31 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

send it back and ask for your money back. it was his mistake not yours.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:28 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZRWON
I'd try WD-40 first. It's proven to be safe for all types of surfaces or finishes and gets rid of tape, decal, sticker residues (including those on car paint) etc. Been used by decoraters for years.
I wasn't joking about the WD-40 use...many people have no idea of the many used for that stuff...check out their site. You'll be amazed at where all you will be using it in the future

http://fanclub.wd40.com/Members/FanSpeak/uses.cfm
Old 04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
BarelyRuns10's
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply to Re-Lexan. You are right, after a closer look ,it said at the rear outside of top Lexmar 100 coating by the Lexamar Corp. I'm guessing this is what was removed by the tape. The top was purchased used from RedLine Corvette's in CA. Sorry about calling it lexan, should have looked closer. I guess I am stuck with it. A $500.00 mistake. I surely won't do business on the internet again.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 PM
psychosurfer
Instructor

I would not let one bad experience stop me from the convenience the web provides. At the very least let the seller have a chance to make it right. As a business owner I stand behind my products arriving in perfect condition, it scares me to think that there could be an unhappy customer out there who has not brought a concern to my attention, as a concern like what you are describing would be taken care of by me personally with a quickness.

Get notified of new replies

To Re-Lexan for Targa Top?

Quick Reply: Re-Lexan for Targa Top?