C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bear vrs. Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Vetfiend
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bear vrs. Corvette

Bear lives to see another day,vette needs body work. Its nice to see them moseying around here in Northern Lake County,but my mint 85 is the latest casualty in a never-ending series of hits and near-hits around here. I avoided the big S.O.B. but the vette swapped ends before heading for the woods. Moderate rear end damage.Got it in the garage covered up,tomorrow I will post some photos,after the shock has worn off a little.

I have insurance with Hagertys,and have never had a claim filed before. Is there anyone who has gone this route with them so I maybe know what to expect?? No other cars involved,no injuries.Thanks,Don
Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Brian Blum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, and here I thought deer in the road were bad. I don't know how I'd react if I had a bear run out in the road.....
Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Good thing the bear didn't want to exchange info with you.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 AM
A1775GRUNT
Heel & Toe

bro, so sorry that sucks big time. I would not want to make that call..... "Yeah hello insurance company I hit a bear in the road." damn bad luck.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:07 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I have Hagerty on my '84 but have never had to file a claim. I'm assuming you filed a police report....as long as that was done and there were no policy violations, I can't see where they wouldn't cooperate. They are very reputable.

If it's any consolation, the bear probably had to go scrub his behind fur in the nearest stream. On the other hand, he may go back to his cave and draw another Corvette on the wall and brag to all the local sows how he scored another sports car this week.

In all seriousness, sorry your car is wounded, glad you're OK. Let us know how you make out with Hagerty. Hope it's good....I just renewed with them last week.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:28 AM
carguy604
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Don't worry, no-one here would dare make any wise-cracks about it being "bearly scratched"...
Old 06-06-2008, 06:54 AM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by carguy604
Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Don't worry, no-one here would dare make any wise-cracks about it being "bearly scratched"...

Eeeeewwwwww.

Bears in Fl.?

More believable if you tell insurance adjustor a gator jumped out at you.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Bummer. Glad you're okay.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:57 AM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to hear you're OK - not hitting the bear was probably the best alternative. My sister totalled a big ol' Lincoln Town Car when she hit a 400lb bear. And the bear walked away, probably none too happy.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 AM
5POINT7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jonnymac
Good thing the bear didn't want to exchange info with you.
glad you are ok. vettes can be fixed.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by pianoguy
Glad to hear you're OK - not hitting the bear was probably the best alternative. My sister totalled a big ol' Lincoln Town Car when she hit a 400lb bear. And the bear walked away, probably none too happy.
Probably just pissed it off. The bear spent the next week with a sore butt, a bad attitude, and an impression of the Town Car's hood ornament on it's ribcage. There was probably a rash of overturned dumpsters that week. The American black bear is tough as nails. I've had a couple of close calls with the ones in Southern New Mexico.

Missing it and going into the woods was probably the best course of action.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Kathy stopped for a Bear crossing the road 2 weeks ago and today we had 2 Deer behind the house. I love living in the country.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Vetfiend
Advanced

Tried to take some damage photos today,was informed by #1 son digital camera no work...will have to work on that. Hagertys took the claim yesterday,had a nice,sympathetic,young lady handleing that. Got a call from the adjustment dept. today ,and we are set to meet early next week.So far so good with the Hag.

The Florida Black bear is a separate species then what you would see up North or out West,generally smaller and more mild-mannered. I have some pics of one that hangs around our house,which I will post hopefully later when my technical adviser comes home from his girlfriends. Deer actually cause most of the wrecks around here but the bears are a close 2nd.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Eddywill
Racer

that "bear is the fruit of the woods. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, bear-kabobs, bear creole, bear gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried, there's pineapple bear, lemon bear, coconut bear, pepper bear, bear soup, bear stew, bear salad, bear and potatoes, bear burger, bear sandwich. Th-that's about it."
Old 06-06-2008, 11:05 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

I work for one of Hagerty's competitors, they are fair and you should be in good hands. Collector car ins has looser guidelines for repairs and allows for more flexibility with blending, R&I times, etc. When you consider their loss ratio is probably in the 40/50s they should be able to treat you well.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Old 06-07-2008, 12:59 AM
kenmack
Pro

Default bear plate

You shoulda got His plate no. and sued His insurance co.
Bearly Mutual
Old 06-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by kenmack
You shoulda got His plate no. and sued His insurance co.
Bearly Mutual

Their motto....."Screw with us and see how it feels to get mauled" From your friends at Mutual of Oma-Claw.

Glad to hear it's working out OK with Hagerty. I've never heard anything negative about them. I'm sure insuring collector iron is a whole lot simpler than underwriting some nervous soccer mom's Camry that spends half it's life at the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Bear vrs. Corvette

Old 06-07-2008, 10:12 PM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 for Bears being the number one threat to America.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:35 PM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddywill
that "bear is the fruit of the woods. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, bear-kabobs, bear creole, bear gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried, there's pineapple bear, lemon bear, coconut bear, pepper bear, bear soup, bear stew, bear salad, bear and potatoes, bear burger, bear sandwich. Th-that's about it."
"Yo Bubba, sup?"
Old 06-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Vetfiend
Advanced

I took the cover off and did a more thourough inspection,besides the entire rearend being wasted,theres a kink with paint popped off on both sides just beyond the doors,and the undercarridge took a bad beating,the exhaust is hanging down almost to the ground.

I am wondering if their are body shops that specialize in classic cars.My car has pearl white paint,which was flawless.Also,how do go about getting estimates when the car is not driveable? I would prefer not to have to haul it from place to place on a flatbed.Just wondering,I guess the adjuster maybe will know.I understand there just going to give me a check . Hope its enough to fix it back to like it was.Thanks for the words of encouragement. Still planning to get some pics up soon.

Quick Reply: Bear vrs. Corvette