Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

An Open Letter to the Forum Members

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 PM
VinceC4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man too cool..I bought my first vette at 59..I am now 62..I am glad you lived out your dreams..and welcome to the forum..
Old 06-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

TPIGUY....

Glad you're into your first C4. It's never too late to live the dream. Your story struck a nerve....I remember seeing the first C4 in the showrooms in the summer of 83. I was 20 years old, a college student, and had a grand total of about $35 to my name. The saleman wouldn't even unlock it and let me sit in it. I promised myself some day...

In 1997, the tide had turned, I'd grown up a bit (just a bit mind you), and I started to buy a new C5. Then it dawned on me that I would be spending a large amount of money on a car I would be driving, at best, once a week (have company car and free gas). Lo and Behold, Southwest Corvette Center had a very nice 84 sitting on the lot. I stopped in just to look....and an hour later I had written the check and drove it home. 10 years later, we're still together.

That said, without this forum, the car would have cost me a small fortune to own, restore, and repair over the years. With the help of the (mostly) fine folks here, it's been very affordable and very fun. I've learned a lot of wrenching tricks, take pride in doing most all of my own work, and have thoroughly enjoyed passing on what I've learned to others....and have hopefully saved them some time, money, and grief.

There are no dumb questions. There are no redundant questions. Ask away....we're here to help. Oh...and if you discover any secrets along the way, please post them and share.

There are some folks here that take pride in demeaning others. They are fortunately few and far between. Ignore them, and they go away.

Again....welcome to the madness.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Gary96
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well said!!! I bought my first vette back in September 07; it's the sports car that I've always dreamed about and it never disappoints me. I'm glad that I found this forum after I got my vette because there are a lot of helpful members here ready to answer any question that I have.

Congrats on the new Vette!

Originally Posted by C4boy
I agree TPIguy. I often wonder why the guys who don't post anything more than "Do a search" and "Get a service manual" even bother replying to threads...If all the dumb questions have been asked and answered in the archives, why read the forum at all?

People who reply with "Do a search" or "Get a service manual" obviously know it all and have never needed help with anything. It would be nice if these people just wouldn't reply to a post if they don't want to help because those replies are just rude. There are plenty of members here who will happily answer the same questions over and over without complaining because they've had the same questions before and like helping others.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:07 PM
USA1LT1
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Amen my Corvette brother!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 PM
MY93TOY
Pro

Old 06-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Livin the Dream
Pro

Welcome TPIGUY I too am living a lifelong dream ! Good luck with yours always something going on and a lot of good people here
Old 06-13-2008, 09:21 PM
denvervet
Instructor

Very well said . I was beginng to wonder if this was a seach engine or a discussion board . If you dont like the ? you don't have to open and read it . There are plenty that will open and offer there help witch i have either asked or read and used this is a great forum. Please ask all the ?s you have I need all the help I can get. Thanks for all the help

STW
Old 06-13-2008, 09:22 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Most of us are here to share and gather knowledge. I have kept a word file in alpha order of things that I have found on the Forum that I felt were important at the time or could be used in the future. I still refer to this often since many members have moved on and some of this vast knowledge is lost. I don't add to this very often, but there is still good information floating around.

Keep in mind that for every 20 posts there is someone that has to make a remark........enough said. I guess us older members have seen and done a few things in life to put a little perspective into our life and understand that you get what you give. We understand that at one time in life we went to Sears and bought a socket set for $15.00 and used this to pull our first engine while in the other hand there was a book "HOW TO FIX YOUR CHEVROLET." There was no Forum back then and you had to rely on the book or your friends if they were into cars. We did dumb things and made mistakes because that shared knowledge that right here was not available to us then.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 PM
or92vette
Burning Brakes

Welcome Aboard!

Ours is the first Corvette we've purchased.....

And it just keeps getting better every single day!

The people on this forum have helped me multiple times, and I've given back where I can.

Never worry about asking a "stupid" question......we all do one time or another! That's how ya gain knowledge!

You'll get some answers that help ya.....count on it!

Now....

Pics of said Polo Coupe????
Old 06-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Chris44m
Drifting

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I will always remember as a kid sitting in the back seat of my Dads 66 chevy Caprice [396 turbo hydromatic] seeing the corvettes on the road while driving from Ohio, to New York, visiting our grandparents, nose pressed against the window watching one or two of these super cars roll by...

Always facinated, always wishing...and now at 45 years old, a black 1989 vert sits in my old garage.

Yes somedays i find myself just sitting in the old chevy...going through the gears..like a kid on christmas morning. Reading this forum...getting good advice, reading articles...and all the good things that come with owning a older car.

I find myself sitting behind the wheel...smiling....speaking out loud...I LOVE THIS CAR!

C.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The dupe, do a search, it's in the AIM gang are a bunch of peckerwoods. It's a discussion board for crying out loud,not an archive. IMHO They are ruining the CF with their attitudes.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Greg0u812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roger420
I didn't know what to think when I first saw c4. Cause they had 5 different engines and 2 different looks.
LOL!!!!!!! I just didn't want to slap a smilie up for that one! To good of a reply!

I don't remember exactly when I saw the C4 for the 1st time.........but.........I will have to admit one thing:
(I hate to say this) my first thought was.........."My God, how could they have bastardized this thing any more". I grew up watching the C3's drive down the road and LOVED them!!!!! Why did GM do this to such a cool car?

I spent several years thinking "it aint no vette.........but is still a pretty cool car". Quite a few years went by. Have had a chance to get into a couple of C3's, C4's, C5's and now one C6. While the C6 is one "wicked mean sports car" (gotta drive one to believe it ), the C4 still remains "near and dear" to the heart. I love the ride, the feel, the looks, everything about it. I have never hidden the fact that I am an " old school" guy when it comes to cars. If I were rich.........I would have a C6 in the stable. Semi-Rich.......several C4's (and a couple C3's).

I still love the looks of the C3.........but........the C4 ROCKS in every way imaginable!!!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Eddywill
Racer

Wow I realize I bought my first Vette in 1985 it was a 79 I paid 9 grand for it sold it 7 years later for 6 grand.... I bought the 89 that I just dropped off at the paint shop today. I have owned a vette for over half my life!! Here they are the 79 and 89

Old 06-13-2008, 11:28 PM
samh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Righteous post my friend!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:46 PM
rustybluebeast
Intermediate

My C4 history goes as follows....It started in southern california where I grew up. First moments I remember was my father and I restoring a blue 58' corvette. Frame off, took him 3 years to do. Due to my moms health (M.S.) he had to sell it after many first place corvette car shows in socal. I remember clear as day seeing it driving away on a trailer while I was walking home from the bus stop.... Well his mental rebutle was when he bought an 87' yellow coupe named "tweetie", bought from the very front of my then elementary school in santa rosa valley california. I dreamed of that vette from the day I saw it and one day he brought me with him to buy it and I was an AWE struck child with its star black wheels and bright yellow color! My father had that Corvette from the time he bought it until we moved to COLD Minnesota and finally after he married my step mom when one day i came out into the garage in 2000 during high school and sure enough they did not tell me but staring me in the face was a brand new blue C5!!!!
obviously vettes have been a major part of my life, and my c4 is my first and most affordable entry into the scene at 21 years old....
Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Port A Vette
Instructor

Default welcome

I bought my '96 when I moved to South Texas 4 years ago. I didn't know anything about a C4 when I got mine. Between this board and my FSM set I have been able to fix many things on my car. I've learned quite a few things along the way too. I am fortunate that the South Texas weather allows my Vette to be my daily driver. There are no dumb questions - but only a few rude answers. Ignore them as I've had more help here that I have had rudeness.

Larry
Old 06-14-2008, 07:50 AM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the dysfunctional family

I generally don't post much in the c4 sections, but I will do my best to point the person in the right direction or share my experiences of how I tackled a similar problem with my ride. I particularly dont care for the typed word on discussion boards, I seem to not be able to communicate in a fashion that the other parties can easily follow the direction I try to make the topic flow. My intent often times gets taken the wrong way in the written word on boards, but if we were in the driveway the same individual would get and take my point fwiw. So I refrain. Oh and I suck at the search function - I could punch in the same words as you and get completely different results, very discouraging, it happens in google to me too not just this boards search. I do things outside the box so to speak - just have a look at my sig, not your cookie cutter build. Everybody goes with aluminum heads, I go with a set of $600 RHS iron heads for an example.

My first views of the c4 gen came during the same time frame early 80's, I knew then someday I would go for it.

Get notified of new replies

To An Open Letter to the Forum Members

Old 06-14-2008, 10:02 AM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

Great post TPIGUY.
When I was looking to finally buy my Vette, I was told to check this forum and others. I hang here because the info I have gotton has been invaluable, from what to look for and avoid in the purchase, what products to use, what tools I needed, what mods to make, what works and what doesn't. Most of my buying decisions are made with the confidence that this community has vetted the product. It's like the libraray of congress for vette people. I have filled 2 binders with printed posts on different subjects. The help provided has been great. My thanks to all for what you provide on a daily basis (even the people who "know it all" and make snide remarks, because you show us how NOT to react ). Enjoy your new ride, welcome to the club, some great advice and views here, not to mention the great people. Don't forget to wave
Old 06-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Yellow2015
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duntov-097
The dupe, do a search, it's in the AIM gang are a bunch of peckerwoods. It's a discussion board for crying out loud,not an archive. IMHO They are ruining the CF with their attitudes.
As always, your innate ability to condense an issue into a single paragraph is on target........................
Old 06-14-2008, 10:15 AM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by or92vette
Welcome Aboard!

Ours is the first Corvette we've purchased.....

And it just keeps getting better every single day!

The people on this forum have helped me multiple times, and I've given back where I can.

Never worry about asking a "stupid" question......we all do one time or another! That's how ya gain knowledge!

You'll get some answers that help ya.....count on it!

Now....

Pics of said Polo Coupe????

Quick Reply: An Open Letter to the Forum Members