Rhino ramps

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rhino ramps

Hello everyone,
I've read some posts where some people swear by their rhino ramps.I'm thinking about going out and buying a set maybe tonight or tomorrow.My question is,will rhino ramps raise a 'vette (87), high enough for an average sized person (who can still suck in his gut ) to get under,or just high enough to get a jack under for placing jack stands? Thanks to all who reply.

tankman
Old 06-23-2008, 06:03 PM
JonnyAngle
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could probabally fit an 8 gallon keg underneath the car without the tap in. Just be sure to put some 2x4s down so ya can get on the ramps instead of pushing them out of the way with your bumper
Old 06-23-2008, 06:08 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a pair, and they work OK for me, but I'm fairly slim. I have to put a 2x10 in front of the approach to keep the spoiler from scraping. When I put my headers in and pulled my exhaust earlier this spring, I needed more working room, so I jacked up the front after it was up on ramps and added another 2x10 underneath, and also jacked up the back and put a couple of 2x10's stacked under the rear wheels. I've also seen people jack the front end up after it's on the ramps and flip them around so that the approach is out of your way. Anyway, for the price, I'm happy with the use I've gotten out of them. I'm not a big fan of jack stands for some reason.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:16 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Thanks to both of you.I'm off to advance auto parts.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

They are good for oil or front air dam changes that's about it. I do use them though as a safety device with jack stands.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

You'd be better off with jack stands and a floor jack. I thew mine out when I moved. worthless...
Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
You'd be better off with jack stands and a floor jack. I thew mine out when I moved. worthless...
I can't get a floor jack under my car without using the the ramps. I get lots of use out of them for oil changes and minor things like that. Any more serious work under the car and jackstands are required.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Firevette
Safety Car

Cruise-In X Veteran

I managed to replace my entire exhaust with them, removing the catback first. It was a pita, but got the job done.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Well,I bought a set & should have checked the dimensions first.They don't have the height of my old steel ramps.I think I'll take them back in the morning and start looking for something else.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:08 PM
captmike13
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

If you get them get the 12,000 lb. ramps. The 7,000 lb. ramps aren't wide enough.

Mike
Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

I already got them.I will be looking for something else,but am not ready for the quick lift.I saw some aluminum mini-ramps advertised somewhere.I'll see what the scoop is on them.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I have see some really neat 2 piece aluminum ramps wish I could remember where. They were pricey though. They had a little more height but all ramps are pretty much for changing oil which is fine they do make that job quick and easy. Never seen one you could slide under with a dolly on.

I did read a funny/scary thread on someone trying to back up on them he spit them under the car in front of the rear wheels.

Last edited by Redeasysport; 06-23-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

I read that post also about the ramps flying out.I don't do much except oil changes,spark plugs,water pumps,and coolant changes.I've been reading about the Different procedures for changing coolant & don't know which one to go with.I recently bought this '87 and am in the process of changing out fluids.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rhino Ramps

Originally Posted by JonnyAngle
Just be sure to put some 2x4s down so ya can get on the ramps instead of pushing them out of the way with your bumper
That's why I stopped using mine. I got fed up with pushing the ramps forward on approach. I only use a jack and several stands now. I get more height and feel safer while working. I have seen some people build their own ramps that were impressive.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:12 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

I had a car fall on me, that was supported by crappy stamped steel ramps when I was 19 years old. Fractured my hip and and two vertebrae. I was lucky it didn't kill me. The attending doctor in the ER said that most victims of cars falling on them are from poor jacking or ramps not properly secured, and most people don't live to tell about it like I did. Most that die are from suffocation, because they can't raise their chest to breathe!!!

Yes, we did some stupid stuff and were not as safety conscious as we should have been, but I'll never trust another ramp in my life. I still get under my car all the time, but it is supported by strong jack stands, and I kick the **** out the car before I go under to make sure it ain't going anywhere.

Just keep it in mind, because it only takes a second and then you say "Oh ****".
Old 06-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Dads90
Burning Brakes

I'm happy with my Rhino's. I back onto them and jack the front level and place jack stands up front.

Get notified of new replies

To Rhino ramps

Old 06-24-2008, 05:44 AM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by biggrizzly
I had a car fall on me, that was supported by crappy stamped steel ramps when I was 19 years old. Fractured my hip and and two vertebrae. I was lucky it didn't kill me. The attending doctor in the ER said that most victims of cars falling on them are from poor jacking or ramps not properly secured, and most people don't live to tell about it like I did. Most that die are from suffocation, because they can't raise their chest to breathe!!!

Yes, we did some stupid stuff and were not as safety conscious as we should have been, but I'll never trust another ramp in my life. I still get under my car all the time, but it is supported by strong jack stands, and I kick the **** out the car before I go under to make sure it ain't going anywhere.

Just keep it in mind, because it only takes a second and then you say "Oh ****".
When I got back from 'Nam,I bought a brand new 1968 Plymouth Sport Satellite covertible with bucket seats,chrome up the ying yang & a 383 under the hood.I decided to rotate my tires one day & jacked the car up and used four cheap jackstands that I bought on the base at San Diego.I didn't have a "creeper",but decided to roll under the 'vert and investigate.All of a sudden I heard & saw the car moving,& then saw one of the jack stands bend.Somehow I got out from under the leaning car,I think I must have grown little feet on my azz,because I came out from under there on my back.That episode scared me so badly that I've never been under a car again without ramps,heavy duty jack stands,and anything else I can find.Some of my friends laugh at me,but I don't take chances.I'm glad you made it through your ordeal.

tankman
Old 06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
ragged claws
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeasysport

I did read a funny/scary thread on someone trying to back up on them he spit them under the car in front of the rear wheels.
I installed my cat-back exhaust using plastic ramps. When I was finished and drove forward off of the ramps I spit both out the back about 20' down my driveway. When using on the rear are you supposed to drive forward on them or back up on them?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 AM
robl30166
Advanced

Default here was my solution

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...6/IMG_6036.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...6/IMG_6037.jpg

Quick Reply: Rhino ramps