C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

VATS Issue on '90

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:24 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by spatz406
Thx for your reply. Is the dealer the best place to take the car to have the lock cylinder replaced, or can a locksmith do the job for (presumably) less money?
😃
I wouldn't trust a locksmith. I just wouldn't. A dealer should be able to handle lock cylinder replacement with the greatest of ease. The lock cylinder pattern failure is very easy to test for, but that doesn't mean you can skip proper testing.

In the event you want the system diagnosed properly before you start throwing parts at it, then you may or may not get that from your dealer.

I guess if I were starting from zero (I'm not) and I were looking to hire someone to figure out what was wrong with your car; then the first thing I would want to know is if they can "print a schematic of the VATS system". I would actually ask that exact question. If the answer is anything besides "yes" then they are automatically disqualified.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:45 AM
spatz406
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K, thx 2 everyone 4 yr help. I used to work on cars when they had carbs and no computers! I'll just try everything one step at a time till it works, then report what happened here in the Forum.(Guess I won't have to sell/give away my Vette after all) 😃
Old 04-11-2016, 01:47 AM
spatz406
Cruising

K, thx for that info. 😃
Old 04-11-2016, 03:28 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
I wouldn't trust a locksmith. I just wouldn't.
What exactly do you suspect a locksmith might do that you dread so much?

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
I guess if I were starting from zero (I'm not) and I were looking to hire someone to figure out what was wrong with your car; then the first thing I would want to know is if they can "print a schematic of the VATS system". I would actually ask that exact question. If the answer is anything besides "yes" then they are automatically disqualified.
I suspect the only people who can "print a schematic of the VATS system" are people who have read my article on that very subject:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...schematic.html
Old 04-11-2016, 06:05 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris

I suspect the only people who can "print a schematic of the VATS system" are people who have read my article on that very subject:

Not applicable to the 1990 model year or newer as it is integral with the CCM or BCM.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:38 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
What exactly do you suspect a locksmith might do that you dread so much?

I don't know, that's why I wouldn't go to one. If I were guessing I would think that a locksmith wouldn't properly route the wiring through the steering column and the plastic wire loom, or something equally stupid. This would ensure a premature failure of the new parts. Maybe they would get it right, and maybe your dentist could remove your tonsils. I wouldn't chance it.

As far as being able to print a schematic. I meant he should use that to help sift through all the poser shops that going to tell him "bring er on down, of course we can fix it !". I assure you any shop that doesn't have the schematic shouldn't be attempting VATS diagnosis.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:22 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

K..thx for yr reply. Will start with the relay. Btw, assuming I know my key "chip" resistance, how do I get the code in order to get the correct VATS by-pass plug in that I saw in Eckler's catalog?
Old 04-13-2016, 08:36 AM
spatz406
Cruising

Thank you so VERY MUCH, for that resistance table! However did you find that? I appreciate everyone on the Forum here for helping me with my problem. After leaving me stranded many times, I had intended on getting rid of my Vette, but you guys have shown me that with a little wok, I can keep it after all! Once again, my thanks to you all!!!! 😃
Old 04-13-2016, 04:38 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Maybe you mentioned it but a couple of additional things.
When it fails to start, does the security light come on in the DIC when it fails to crank over? You can check in the FSM (I assume you have one) or in the owners manual if it should come on or not if it's a VATS issue. It has to be in one or the other.
Also you can clean the slot for the ignition key with a cotton swab and maybe alcohol to clean off any residual crap where the resistor on the key makes contact. Just to be safe when using fluids around anything electrical, I always disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected long enough to insure any spillage has fully evaporated prior to hooking it back up.
If you can get to the clutch switch, you could make up a couple of leads and use that to hook an ohm meter up to the clutch switch and work the clutch [obviously with the engine off] and see if the switch opens and closes properly as the pedal is depressed and released.

Just a couple of additional thoughts.

Last edited by hcbph; 04-13-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:56 AM
spatz406
Cruising

Yes, the "security" light comes on when it won't crank.(Along with the other lights("brake," etc. I got this car for a "steal" and the guy was so eager to unload it that I'm guessing he had the being stranded problem, and like me, he didn't know what to do about it. K, I'll also try the alc.swab thing coz after 26 years, it's got to be dirty! ��thx for yr reply! ��
Old 04-14-2016, 04:19 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Yes, the "security" light comes on when it won't crank.(Along with the other lights("brake," etc. I got this car for a "steal" and the guy was so eager to unload it that I'm guessing he had the being stranded problem, and like me, he didn't know what to do about it. K, I'll also try the alc.swab thing coz after 26 years, it's got to be dirty! ��thx for yr reply! ��
Now that you've mentioned the "LIGHT" the resistance by-pass is maybe a very good "diagnostic" NEXT MOVE. If once you've by-passed and aren't left stranded in a reasonable amount of time you can - A. leave it if security isn't a concern for you or B. consider a key cylinder. That's still NOT a cut & dried fix, it could be a CCM issue

I suggested having a dealer "drop the key" because you seemed NOT FAMILIAR at all and maybe didn't don't have a DMM or analog meter either. A dealer "drop" is for numerical reference only. The chart is everywhere and I would have thought you stumbled upon it several times in GOOGLE - VATS searches.

I asked you several posts ago - how many keys do you have? You mention being stranded several times. As long as you "hint" that this has been going on (two owners), well maybe just maybe it's actually a key. If it's been several times using multiple keys them "maybe" you could consider that diagnostics enough to assume key/cylinder failure.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-14-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Quick Reply: VATS Issue on '90