C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

88 Corvette AC/Heater Auto Control Climate Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
SpeedyKev42
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Corvette AC/Heater Auto Control Climate Problem

I have the Auto Climate Control on my 88 Chevy Corvette. I am having a problem with the AC clutch activating when I either press the Auto, Bi-Level or Defroster buttons on the control head while the internal temperature is set at 90 degrees and while in Manual. It will blow out cold air and my windshield will not defrost. I know that GM designed the AC to kick on for a short time to clear up the windshield for a short time, but the clutch does not turn off. It takes at least 15 minutes for the AC clutch to shut off. Also, sometimes while driving with the temp set at 60 degrees and it set in manual with the Bi-Level button pressed, the AC will suddenly kick off and hot air will start blowing inside the car. I put a new programmer in the car to no avail. I also checked vacuum lines and seem to be ok. The air blender door seems to move when I press the buttons on the control head.

Are there any other problem areas that I may be missing?

I am wondering if there is anyway I can test the Auto Climate Control head.

Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced Auto Climate Control head for this car?

Also, could the internal temperature sensor be causing this problem by sending a false reading? If so, does anyone know where it is located in the car?

Does anyone have a electrical diagram for the Auto Climate Control System for a 88 Corvette?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by SpeedyKev42; 08-04-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:00 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You might buy an owner's manual - System is designed to engage the compressor in any of the Modes you've selected. Vent temperature has nothing to do with whether or not the compressor runs - the pressure of the refrigerant flowing through the system controls that and it'll run all day with system set to 90 as long as that pressure is within the parameters to keep it running (and if the outside temp is above 70 degrees, that's what it should be doing; ie, running and not shutting off). You start by checking pressures and for that you need a manifold gage set. I suggest you take it to an a/c shop and have them check it out for you. Should be less than 50 Bucks and if they tell you it's low on gas, that would fit the symptoms you've described.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 PM
woxof
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control 1986 to 1989

Originally Posted by SpeedyKev42
I have the Auto Climate Control on my 88 Chevy Corvette. I am having a problem with the AC clutch activating when I either press the Auto, Bi-Level or Defroster buttons on the control head while the internal temperature is set at 90 degrees and while in Manual. It will blow out cold air and my windshield will not defrost. I know that GM designed the AC to kick on for a short time to clear up the windshield for a short time, but the clutch does not turn off. It takes at least 15 minutes for the AC clutch to shut off. Also, sometimes while driving with the temp set at 60 degrees and it set in manual with the Bi-Level button pressed, the AC will suddenly kick off and hot air will start blowing inside the car. I put a new programmer in the car to no avail. I also checked vacuum lines and seem to be ok. The air blender door seems to move when I press the buttons on the control head.

Are there any other problem areas that I may be missing?

I am wondering if there is anyway I can test the Auto Climate Control head.

Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced Auto Climate Control head for this car?

Also, could the internal temperature sensor be causing this problem by sending a false reading? If so, does anyone know where it is located in the car?

Does anyone have a electrical diagram for the Auto Climate Control System for a 88 Corvette?

Any info would be greatly appreciated
I have a 1989 with similar problem. Check the blend door motor located
on the passenger side (little black motor) behind the computer. When you change the temperature the blend door motor will move the arm to close or open the door.

I have an extra one that I bot and it was not the problem. I will sell it for the exact amount I paid per recipt validation $250.00.

I think it is your control head which is 500 to 600 used.

It will be posted on craigs list

Get notified of new replies

To 88 Corvette AC/Heater Auto Control Climate Problem

Quick Reply: 88 Corvette AC/Heater Auto Control Climate Problem