C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wheel & Caliper Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 PM
High Altitude Vette
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Wheel & Caliper Clearance

So I NEED new wheels I have went through a billion pictures trying to come up with the perfect set..and then I start thinking about the brakes.
They really suck, and one of the next things on the to do list is a better brake system.
For those of you that have changed calipers where do the clearance issues come in..wheel offset or wheel diameter?
The wheels that I have been looking at have 56mm offset front and 54 rear. I was told today that a 44mm front offset would clear most any caliper, and still keep the tire under the fender...
What say you?
Gary

over at the million page C5 wheel picturerama there is one with new cragars...I wouldn't have thought so..but damn nice
More to think about..
Old 12-28-2010, 02:15 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Clearance problem is caliper to inside of rim; not offset
Depends on internal design of wheel
For example; C5 calipers won't fit factory 17" sawblades but will fit factory 17" A molds
Old 12-28-2010, 07:44 AM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by High Altitude Vette
So I NEED new wheels I have went through a billion pictures trying to come up with the perfect set..and then I start thinking about the brakes.
They really suck
, and one of the next things on the to do list is a better brake system.
For those of you that have changed calipers where do the clearance issues come in..wheel offset or wheel diameter?
The wheels that I have been looking at have 56mm offset front and 54 rear. I was told today that a 44mm front offset would clear most any caliper, and still keep the tire under the fender...
What say you?
Gary

over at the million page C5 wheel picturerama there is one with new cragars...I wouldn't have thought so..but damn nice
More to think about..
Interesting comment. A $10 bias spring and a set of more aggressive pads and a C-4 will stop pretty damn good. If you have the small 12 inch brakes, an upgrade to J55 13 inchers would be the best/least expensive upgrade unless your tracking your Vette. With C-5 brake conversions and some of the aftermarket ones, you will have to do measuring and fitting to confirm clearance. With the J55's, most any aftermarket wheel with the stock offset should work without problems.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 AM
High Altitude Vette
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the reply's. The common sense thing to do would be do the brakes first and then get the wheels to fit.
But there is a fairly small range of wheels that I like..and or will fit that I might just go the other way around.

So I could get a better look at what is going on up front I decided to yank a wheel off the front. I don't have anything that fits the undercarriage for the floor jack so I had to dig the factory one out.

Well its the first time any of that equipment has seen the light of day since new! I didn't have instructions to take the instructions off the instruction retaining wire/thing..so I went bold and just jacked it up..
Spare is flat, and rubber is harder than the frame so I am going to see if GM will warranty..
Also found where the mouse the cats were chasing under the car was hiding..and his store of cat food
Gary

Last edited by High Altitude Vette; 12-28-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: pic fussing

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel & Caliper Clearance

Quick Reply: Wheel & Caliper Clearance