Sagging Headliner Fix (Pics)

Old 11-14-2008, 05:41 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Sagging Headliner Fix (Pics)

My push-in headliner I got a couple years ago, was sagging down and rubbing my head when I drove. (Wrong head getting rubbed )

To fix the problem, I got a roll of 1/2" foam at a fabric store and used the fabric from the headliner in the car. A can of 3M spray adhesive, masking tape and a piece of 150 grit sandpaper.

Headliner in all it's glory: before.

I took out the HL and traced it onto the foam with a marker. Cut it out with scissors.

Next, I masked off the trim of the top, then roughed-up the inside of the targa top with the sandpaper. (To help the glue stick properly.)

I sprayed the adhesive on both the targa top and the backside of the foam. Let sit until it becomes tacky. Then, position it into the top and smooth out any bubbles and be sure to keep it centered.

The same goes for the fabric, too. I sprayed the foam and the backside of the fabric with adhesive. Spread it out the best I could (trying not to let it fold together and stick to itself.) 2 people would be very helpful during this part.
I trimmed some of the fabric with a razor knife and then tucked it underneath the trim of the roof panel with a thin, flat tool. (Make sure you cut the fabric a little larger than the foam to give you extra to tuck in.)

After smoothing out any bubbles and finshing the edges, in about 2 hours, here is the finished headliner.

Hope this helps someone out. Thanks, John.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:25 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that looks good. I wonder if it would look to awkward without headliner at all?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:29 PM
VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnymo63
My push-in headliner I got a couple years ago, was sagging down and rubbing my head when I drove. (Wrong head getting rubbed )

To fix the problem, I got a roll of 1/2" foam at a fabric store and used the fabric from the headliner in the car. A can of 3M spray adhesive, masking tape and a piece of 150 grit sandpaper.

Headliner in all it's glory: before.

I took out the HL and traced it onto the foam with a marker. Cut it out with scissors.

Next, I masked off the trim of the top, then roughed-up the inside of the targa top with the sandpaper. (To help the glue stick properly.)

I sprayed the adhesive on both the targa top and the backside of the foam. Let sit until it becomes tacky. Then, position it into the top and smooth out any bubbles and be sure to keep it centered.

The same goes for the fabric, too. I sprayed the foam and the backside of the fabric with adhesive. Spread it out the best I could (trying not to let it fold together and stick to itself.) 2 people would be very helpful during this part.
I trimmed some of the fabric with a razor knife and then tucked it underneath the trim of the roof panel with a thin, flat tool. (Make sure you cut the fabric a little larger than the foam to give you extra to tuck in.)

After smoothing out any bubbles and finshing the edges, in about 2 hours, here is the finished headliner.

Hope this helps someone out. Thanks, John.

I had to do this ..... it was a quik fix ( because i ran the top w/o a headliner for almost 2 years I found automotive carpet at Menards bought 6ft x 26 inches and cut it to fit....tucked it under the trim and wammo looks better than the original... glued it to the top with the automotive glue-------GOOD 2 GO !!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice work
Old 11-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

cool work
i dont have a headliner,i have a black painted interior top,looks rough
but all black,no one single comment from anybody,i even forget about it..but i will purchase a headliner soon !
Old 11-15-2008, 11:38 AM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The top used to be blue tinted, but had hair-lined cracked all over it. I painted the outside black and added the pop-in headliner.
The reflections off of the roof bothered me and as a plus, the stereo sounds better with a liner.

Get notified of new replies

To Sagging Headliner Fix (Pics)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sagging Headliner Fix (Pics)