C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Long Live the C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:13 PM
xrcrx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayne lowry
The Camaro turned into an 80s wussie machine with no real horsepower sound familiar ? A 69 Corvette is worth a good buck as well but the 84 Corvette and 84 Camaro are all but worthless and rightly so.
Worthless and rightly so my a$$ In '84 the Vette was a world class car, it set new standards for handling, raised the performance bar to levels not seen in many years, and ushered in a new era for the Vette. As to what it's worth now, who cares, i enjoy mine immensely, it handles on a level that allows it to play with the latest and greatest and the sbc's ease of modding keeps it competitive hp wise. It'll never be a collectible but that doesnt make it worthless.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
wayne lowry
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BluRay
Ya know there are also Chrysler LeBaron, VW, Fiat, etc. forums it has little to nothing to do with dollar value. As I said before all of you here complaining(why are you still here?) must be used car salesmen. It's the only reason to complain about the C4's. As for HP, unless you live in Germany and spend lots of time WOT topped out, why does it matter? My car rarely sees 75mph, or 65 for that matter. It gets there in a hurry and can easily get after it harder than it needs to. I guess to you it is a better decision to be making huge payments on 400-450hp that you can't experience for any real amount of time....

Whatever, there are forums here for you. By all means go to them. We are all pretty tired of hearing you cry about the dollar value of our cars. If they are only losing value now is as good of time as any for you to sell yours and lose any interest here what so ever....
I like C4 Corvettes just don't care for the delusional nonsense spewed by so many. These cars are not collectors items, they are not rare high dollar exotics, they do not attract women nor do they give the illusion of having money. If someone starts a thread and wants to have a serious conversation or needs help I am always happy to do what I can. When is the last time you built a shortblock for a member or set up a ring and pinion ? I have done alot for several members including letting one guy make passes in my car as he was on the fence about building a stroker.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:18 PM
BluRay
Pro

84 Corvette 8-10k in what country ? You can buy a nice LT1 car for that kind of money.
That's funny earlier you were all saying they were 6K.......
Old 12-30-2008, 08:22 PM
wayne lowry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xrcrx
Worthless and rightly so my a$$ In '84 the Vette was a world class car, it set new standards for handling, raised the performance bar to levels not seen in many years, and ushered in a new era for the Vette. As to what it's worth now, who cares, i enjoy mine immensely, it handles on a level that allows it to play with the latest and greatest and the sbc's ease of modding keeps it competitive hp wise. It'll never be a collectible but that doesnt make it worthless.
Newsflash it is not 1984 and as far as keeping up with the latest and greatest A LS3 Corvette runs 12.17 stock I would like to see a Crossfire run bottom 12s while retaining the crossfire set up.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I dunno wayne...I think we're one or two Barret-Jackson auctions away from making a mint on these cars.

If you have an average early C4, the market will hardly bear more than 5-6K. If it's worth more than that to you don't sell it but don't get offended either by the current market value. I hope you guys see the important distinction between your value and market value. It doesn't make you delusional to feel your car is worth more than the market value, actually listing an average early C4 for 10-12K does.

What 1 in 30,000 examples will pull is irrelevant unless you own one.
I drove an extremely nice 98 FRC last week and the dealer was asking 15K. To be honest it was a lot more car than a C4. (maybe not Zr1)
Thanks for the 11 year old breaking news.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:23 PM
wayne lowry
Melting Slicks

That's funny earlier you were all saying they were 6K.......
There's one for sale on the forum for 6K I posted the ad. The o.p. claims an 84 is 8-10k and I replied you can buy a LT1 car for that and you certainly can or for much less.

Last edited by wayne lowry; 12-30-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:27 PM
VetteDriven
Pro

I like all Corvettes. They are all cool. They wouldnt be around
for over 50 years if that wasnt the case. The are world class
and a great value. I like them all. Long Live the C4
Old 12-30-2008, 08:31 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I like C4 Corvettes just don't care for the delusional nonsense spewed by so many. These cars are not collectors items, they are not rare high dollar exotics, they do not attract women nor do they give the illusion of having money
Can I get an AMEN!

Wayne, youre obviously a car guy, not a Corvette Queer.
Both types here.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:44 PM
BluRay
Pro

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Can I get an AMEN!

Wayne, youre obviously a car guy, not a Corvette Queer.
Both types here.
I just don't see that. So far all they can do is come in here and spew about dollar amounts with total disregard for anything about the appreciation for the cars.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
frontier1111
Advanced

Hey, can anyone help with my 401K. Its not worth as much as I thought either
Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just don't see that. So far all they can do is come in here and spew about dollar amounts with total disregard for anything about the appreciation for the cars.
there's also a thing called overkill with the love orgy. delusion quickly evolves to corvette queer. yes, that is a real term that's been around forever and its directed at funnymen with little penises who act like their corvette is the only car on the planet worth noting, and everyone else is a joke. its a funny little club (actually pretty large) club, a strange addiction for the hate of mustangs and butt-patting each other that i learned to be nauseated over a long time ago. and hell, i never owned a mustang.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

84 Corvette 8-10k in what country ? You can buy a nice LT1 car for that kind of money.
USA

1984 Corvette
Old 12-30-2008, 10:22 PM
VetteDriven
Pro

The Corvette rules the roost. Nuff said
Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Rimcrew
Pro

LMBO - You peeps are too funny! Where else, (other than the C5 section) will you find parents eating their young? Look, how about if we all agree that C4's have zero value; then we can get back to just enjoying them and forget about all the money we are going to make on them some day!

I've got news for you; C4's are approaching worthlessness (I think I just invented a word). Don't believe me? I have seen two LT4's recently for less than $9K (one red/black, and one black/tan). Both had around 70K miles, and looked to be in fantastic shape. Since LT4's are about the pinnacle of C4's (other than the Z's, GS's, etc), to find them priced in the $8k range means others will be quite a bit below that (unless you happen to find a fool who wants to be departed from his money).

So, our C4's are junk. Can we just enjoy them now and quit feeling like we have to justify owning one. I happen to like mine (both of them), and don't give two rats behinds what anyone else thinks!!! MOVE ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Funny, I don't remember clicking "Off Topic"
Old 12-30-2008, 11:14 PM
VetteDriven
Pro

8-10 grand is not worthless.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 PM
nferr
Racer

Talking about the value of any car in this current market is ridiculous. Basically you can't sell anything right now. My local Caddy dealer has an 04 SRX AWD loaded with the Northstar and 40,000 miles. He's asking $14,900 and I mentioned $13,500 to the salesman and he said that's possible. That's a car that listed at over $50,000. A local dealer has a 2004 350Z convertible with 50,000 miles listed at $12,900. So a 25 year old Vette at $5000 or a mid 90's at $8-$10 is really not that bad. It's the economy.

I don't understand the need for some owners to come here and bash the C4. Maybe they bought the wrong car for themselves. Maybe they way overpaid and have buyers remorse. I appreciate mine for what it is. I don't knock it for what it isn't. It's a Corvette of a certain era. It's a blast to drive. Has a unique style. I don't pretend it can outrun new Corvettes. So what? I don't expect 1980's Porsches to outrun new ones either. But I still like seeing one getting driven down the road. That's what it's all about.

Get notified of new replies

To Long Live the C4

Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
The C4 like those before it is a great Corvette. Granted, the old Corvettes are easier to work on and the body on the old ones can be removed from the chassis. That helps a lot in restoring it the best you can. I watched a series about restoring a 62 Corvette on the DIY channel and was amazed how simplistic it was.

I think the introduction of new fuel injection, plastics everywhere, tons of electronics, wires and stuff put together that was never designed to come back apart ruined it for a lot of those people that cherish all the Vettes before the C4.

C1-C3: "Restore it"

C4-C6: "Sale it and buy one in better shape"
This is quite true. C4s as of yet aren't to the point where ground up restorations are being done. No the same may be true of latter C3s as well. I don't see anyone (or at least significant numbers of ) restoring 75-82 Corvettes either. And those are probably the slowest V8 Corvettes there are.

The C4s have plenty of potential as collector cars, but they will generally be limited to ZR-1s and to a limit extent Grand Sports. LT4s will be semi collectible, much like hipo non-solid lifter small blocks during the big block era. And even for ZR-1s, there will b e a significant divide between the 93-95 and the earlier ones. Furthermore, high mileage cars will take the inevitable hit until the days when ground up restorations take place.

Unfortunately there are so many L83, L98, and LT1 cars that they will simply be the drivers of their respective generation.

Just a comment for those disparaging the C4, consider this. The C3 Corvettes had the last of the big blocks. The LS6 Corvette in 1971 is often celebrated given its supposed power (425 gross) and production number (188) and being the last of the solid lifter big blocks. But consider that the net HP for this Corvette is only 325HP. That is 5HP less than the LT4 and 80HP less than the latter ZR-1s. So why would a ZR-1 be any less valuable in the long run than an LS6 (C3 version)? Even the LT1s have more factory HP than the LS5 big block (300 versus 285).
Old 12-30-2008, 11:54 PM
VetteDriven
Pro

A 300 hp LT1 would probably have 375 gross hp if rated by 1960s
standards.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rimcrew
LMBO - You peeps are too funny! Where else, (other than the C5 section) will you find parents eating their young? Look, how about if we all agree that C4's have zero value; then we can get back to just enjoying them and forget about all the money we are going to make on them some day!

I've got news for you; C4's are approaching worthlessness (I think I just invented a word). Don't believe me? I have seen two LT4's recently for less than $9K (one red/black, and one black/tan). Both had around 70K miles, and looked to be in fantastic shape. Since LT4's are about the pinnacle of C4's (other than the Z's, GS's, etc), to find them priced in the $8k range means others will be quite a bit below that (unless you happen to find a fool who wants to be departed from his money).

So, our C4's are junk. Can we just enjoy them now and quit feeling like we have to justify owning one. I happen to like mine (both of them), and don't give two rats behinds what anyone else thinks!!! MOVE ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!!
You are so right, I don't know what else to say.
I mean we are justifying why we own C4's in a C4 forum. How pathetic does this have to get?
Enough already

Quick Reply: Long Live the C4