Old 12-31-2008, 11:52 AM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
For you that think RT is hard on the C4, for the love of God, don't enter
CFOT

Jim
Yea, but they do it out of jest (it is CFOT after all); it seems like RT has a genuine hatred of the C4. Just my honest opinion....Maybe I'm not able to comprehend his dry humor.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by janarvae
Yea, but they do it out of jest (it is CFOT after all); it seems like RT has a genuine hatred of the C4. Just my honest opinion....Maybe I'm not able to comprehend his dry humor.
Maybe, but it makes for good reading and I for one get a laugh out of it.
Bottom line, every one should lighten up a bit. Just my .02

Jim
Old 12-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

yes, but let's make sure we don't get so light that we end up being light in the loafers
Old 12-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

i do not hate the C4, i own one. won;t be around forever that's for sure, but i've owned it now for over 5 years. therefore i'm qualified to an opinion. rim is right -- at times i can be pretty tactless about it. but how about all the ball-sniffing, placating, grandiose posts from certain c4 owners that put down other cars all the time? one ignorant classic are the sanctimonious posts that laugh at mustangs. that is ridiculous, and you should see the pile-ons from other ego-centric nitwits. no one seems to get annoyed at all those -- after all its an ego stroke to others who are on the fringe, so its accepted. i say bullsheist. part of my problem stems from this very strange in an inapplicable, unfounded, absolutely UNEARNED attitude. but that's not why i post in these kinds of threads. some folks just need to be brought to earth, that's all i'm saying. cut the bull, it ain't rare, and quit acting like a baby about it. if someone insists on being so sore about it, then they've got other life issues to deal with, good luck to them.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 12-31-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Tornado
yes, but let's make sure we don't get so light that we end up being light in the loafers
Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

i do not hate the C4, i own one. won;t be around forever that's for sure, but i've owned it now for over 5 years. therefore i'm qualified to an opinion. rim is right -- at times i can be pretty tactless about it. but how about all the ball-sniffing, placating, grandiose posts from certain c4 owners that put down other cars all the time? one ignorant classic are the sanctimonious posts that laugh at mustangs. that is ridiculous, and you should see the pile-ons from other ego-centric nitwits. no one seems to get annoyed at all those -- after all its an ego stroke to others who are on the fringe, so its accepted. i say bullsheist. part of my problem and stems from this very strange in an inapplicable, unfounded, unearned attitude.
I don't know - kind of sounds like the pot calling the kettle black...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Agreed. Whether we agree with that opinion is an entirely different issue. That statement applies to many topics brought up in this thread....
Old 12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

sometimes my humor is downright bad

i'd be very careful about giving many a pass in OT -- i'll bet you dollars to donuts that a majority of those who post negatively in there are downright serious. if you follow other posts at other times, you will know this.

it may be hard to accept (i learned it years ago), but its a bonafide fact that the C4 is the new beat-down red headed stepchild of the corvette community. we are at the bottom. much of it has to do with the near worthless $$ value base L98's and LT1's have now, and any kid can buy one -- like some old beater 80's 6 cyl. firebird -- we're in the same category among other eyes. its just the way it is.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

sometimes my humor is downright bad

i'd be very careful about giving many a pass in OT -- i'll bet you dollars to donuts that a majority of those who post negatively in there are downright serious. if you follow other posts at other times, you will know this.

it may be hard to accept (i learned it years ago), but its a bonafide fact that the C4 is the new beat-down red headed stepchild of the corvette community. we are at the bottom. much of it has to do with the near worthless $$ value base L98's and LT1's have now, and any kid can buy one -- like some old beater 80's 6 cyl. firebird -- we're in the same category among other eyes. its just the way it is.
I know. But nobody likes to hear it. Over and over and over again. Like it or not, it is "an extension" of our personality - that's why we bought it over other cars.

Now, if you think it's going to magically attract women - you might have another problem. If you enjoy the thrill of driving it and hearing that V8 rumble - then it's not fun to hear someone bash it constantly....As I wouldn't bash someone else's "pride and joy". I may not agree with the tastefulness of a particular mod, paint scheme, or interior color combination, but to each his own.

Last edited by janarvae; 12-31-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

I know. But nobody likes to hear it. Over and over and over again. Like it or not, it is "an extension" of our personality - that's why we bought it over other cars.

Now, if you think it's going to magically attract women - you might have another problem. If you enjoy the thrill of driving it and hearing that V8 rumble - it's not fun to hear someone bash it constantly....As I wouldn't bash someone else's "pride and joy". I may not agree with the tastefulness of a particular mod, paint scheme, interior color combination, but to each his own.
i know it can be difficult, you have to make a conscious effort to separate yourself from a machine. i don't mean blow it off, but don;t take it so personally. you are not your car, just like you are not your job. too many folks are caught up in making a direct measurement between personal value and their car (or job). this is one of the biggest fallacies in our society. big-time mistake.

but i understand the rest of what you are saying -- and you're not the kind of person i was referring to before. we've got enough of those funnymen around here.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:54 PM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The C-4 with it's current low values could easliy become the tri-five Chevy for todays kids? I would have to take a big bite out of my retirement fund for a new Z-06! I really don't see that happening right now. C-4's have been fun but after 40+ years of Vettes & other specialty cars it is likely I will try others!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:57 PM
xrcrx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteDriven
How about some more C4 pics
Sounds good, Thought this was just a cool shot-it's a really nice Z06 that was parked near my 84-not bad for a cell phone pic

Here's another shot of mine just because i can:

Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Rimcrew
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C-4 Now
The C-4 with it's current low values could easliy become the tri-five Chevy for todays kids?
While I see your logic, it's not likely to happen. The reason I say that is that I have had the opportunity to dismantle a couple of later model C4 coupes, and that opened my eyes to just how complex and fragile these cars are. The Tri-fives are very simple to work on. Any backyard mechanic can do most of the restoration work on one. Most C4 owners would not replace their own heater core because it is too "hard" to do. That being the case, they would never replace the main wiring harness under the dash because that makes a heater core look like a minor tune up in comparison.

Now - I still like my C4's, I just realize that they are kind of disposable. Given that, I will drive them and enjoy them while I can. If they crap out, I will move on to something else. Of course, I always have my old, reliable Mustang to fall back on!
Old 12-31-2008, 06:23 PM
VetteDriven
Pro

In a few more hours it will be 2009 and the C4s are still going strong.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:53 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I have owned 3 corvettes over the last 10 years and they have all overlapped. I started with a bone stock 1987 L98 in college. It had about a million miles on it, the interior was trashed, and it sorely needed a paint job. Either way I loved that car. Actually, I still do. My father owns it now and in his spare time he has turned it into one of the nicest looking early body C4s out there. I went from the 87 to an 02 Z06. I bought the Z because of the love I had for my 87. I'm not going to compare the 2 for obvious reasons. I just bought my second C4 this week. A 96 that is for track use. I love all three of them, but after spending a LOT of time behind the wheel (and under the hood) of a C4 I just can't fathom it ever being in the realm of the 60's muscle cars and the other collectors. There are a few that will most likely stand out like the ZR-1 and the Grand Sport, but as a whole I'm going to go with no. There are just too many of them and it was such a wide range of years to become a collectible. Look at the cars that bring big bucks today... 99% of them were a one year run. I realize that the 67-69 Camaro for example are the same basic platform but you can tell the 3 years apart from a mile away. Same with the 66-70+ Chevelles. They were all 1 year built of a specific body style. The difference between years is what made people fall in love with them then, and still does now. Do you think a 69 RS/SS Camaro would bring the same money if they had been made for 10+ years with only minor changes?

Old 12-31-2008, 07:05 PM
96polovette
Drifting

The 84s turn 25 tonight. 25 years is the age when cars are supposed to stop depreciating and begin to appreciate.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:08 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wayne lowry
The 84 Corvette is the cheapest lowest powered example of the C4 Corvettes. That is not my opinion it is fact. I never posted they are all junk or worth $2500.00 however a NICE example can be had for $5000.00 which to me makes them just about worthless as far as Corvettes go. Can you buy a NICE example of any other generation for $5000.00 ?

1984 CHEVROLET CORVETTE $3,900
1984 CHEVROLET CORVETTE, SEE MORE PHOTOS OF THIS VETTE AND 125+ OTHERS FOR SALE AT WWW.BUYAVETTE.NET! Medium Blue exterior, Graphite leather interior. 205hp 350ci Crossfire engine, automatic transmission, posi rear-end.
You need to subscribe to corvette magazine and look inside at the Market report. You will be amazed how much some of those worthless examples are listed for. The crossfire manifold suffers from fuel starvation. Some believe that was done purposely so that the 85 would sell better. However porting a crossfire manifold or adding a Xram set up will embarrass most stock TPI owners. Ask me how I know? EFI-CFI a know poster runs 13s with his basically stock ported crossfire 84 at the local track. The 84s usually mocked awful ride also made it the best handling Corvette up to that time and for many years afterward as GM had to take some of the race car feel out of its suspension to please the weak at heart. The 84 is unique in itself being the Motor trend car of the Year ( a first for any sports car) mine is displayed at car shows according with re pro decals along with the history of Dave Mc Lellan and his team of engineers who made the 84 a world class sports car out performing cars such as Porsche, Ferrari and a host of other European imports.Worthless, In think not at least not to those who love Corvettes and the History and development of the car through the years.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:02 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

The way I see it. Although the majority of early C4 Vettes are near "worthless" in a financial sense, they are still very fun cars to own. The fact that they are cheap just means I can buy more of them

Get notified of new replies

To Long Live the C4

Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Why are you guys still having this argument? It's pointless. Neither side is going to cave. And both have some valid points.

Agree to disagree, and move to your respective corners.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 PM
xrcrx
Burning Brakes

At least we don't all like the same thing, then it'd be really boring.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Rimcrew
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xrcrx
At least we don't all like the same thing, then it'd be really boring.

Ding, ding, ding; you win! That is exactly right!!

Now can we post Mustang pics?

Quick Reply: Long Live the C4