Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Are Wheel Anti-Theft Locks REALLY Necessary on OE Saw Blades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:09 AM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Are Wheel Anti-Theft Locks REALLY Necessary on OE Saw Blades?

On my late C4 with the factory brushed finish OE saw blades I was contemplating at least replacing the 4 locking lug nuts with regular lug nuts so I don't have to hassle with the key. Or maybe even replacing all the lugs with standard open or acorn lugs and not even messing with the caps either.

In searching through some lug nut threads I was surprised that even recently, a number of members made stern warnings about keeping locking lugs on saw blades for fear of theft. I never figured the saw blades (particularly by 2009) as being all that desirable or interchangeable and figured these all left the factory with locks installed (a potential thief would have to remove a handfull of caps to see if this was the 1 in 50,000 C4s that didn't have locks).

Q1: How many people have come out and found their lug caps removed, lugs tampered with or other signs of an attempted Saw Blade Wheel robbery which was foiled by the locking lugs?

Q2: How many people have been 'stuck' because they didn't have a 'key', couldn't change the flat, couldn't do a brake job because of a temporarily misplaced key, couldn't get new tires installed etc...?

PS: Few Questions on the screw-on caps:
1) Will the early C4 ('84?) black plastic caps fit OK on late C4s?
2) Are the aftermarket chrome caps metal or plastic?
3) If so, any other cap colors avail in metal?

Last edited by pgtr; 01-02-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:24 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

People will steal anything! If you leave your vette out....There were several plastic caps (they all fit the standard lug nut, 85-96, 84 used a different lug nut). They came in black, gray, and silver. The chrome ones are after market, and I've seen them in plastic and metal. You can paint them any color you like.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
pgtr
Racer

Thanks - so the chrome caps can be either plastic or metal - good to know!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:52 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by pgtr
On my late C4 with the factory brushed finish OE saw blades I was contemplating at least replacing the 4 locking lug nuts with regular lug nuts so I don't have to hassle with the key. Or maybe even replacing all the lugs with standard open or acorn lugs and not even messing with the caps either.

In searching through some lug nut threads I was surprised that even recently, a number of members made stern warnings about keeping locking lugs on saw blades for fear of theft. I never figured the saw blades (particularly by 2009) as being all that desirable or interchangeable and figured these all left the factory with locks installed (a potential thief would have to remove a handfull of caps to see if this was the 1 in 50,000 C4s that didn't have locks).

Q1: How many people have come out and found their lug caps removed, lugs tampered with or other signs of an attempted Saw Blade Wheel robbery which was foiled by the locking lugs?

Q2: How many people have been 'stuck' because they didn't have a 'key', couldn't change the flat, couldn't do a brake job because of a temporarily misplaced key, couldn't get new tires installed etc...?

PS: Few Questions on the screw-on caps:
1) Will the early C4 ('84?) black plastic caps fit OK on late C4s?
2) Are the aftermarket chrome caps metal or plastic?
3) If so, any other cap colors avail in metal?
I have never had an issue with theft or attempted theft of any wheels from my cars. Maybe I've just been lucky

As far as the key, the most important thing is to put the key back where it belongs immediately after you use it. There is a place for it and as long as you put it back, it will be there for next time. Never hurry when the key is involved. Any tire shop will have a way of removing a locking lugnut; it may destroy the nut, but it will come off.

The plastic caps used on the C4 are really a generic GM item. There are a number of GM cars that have these plastic covers and the lugnuts with the outside threads are the same right down to the 60 degree pitch on the cone. Even the C5 plastic caps use the same lugnuts as the C4. The chances are that if you ask for caps for a 91 Celebrity, they will cost the same as the Vette cap and have the same part number.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
RickF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw something recently where people were putting sawblades on VWs; GTIs IIRC. IMO it looked pretty good!

Sawblades are cool again.

Personally, I wouldn't think the lock would be worth it unless theft is an ongoing problem in your neighborhood. Some people just like to steal. In many cases the tires are worth more than the 'blades.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 PM
96polovette
Drifting

I don't use wheel locks. Most savy criminals know the wheel lock key is usually kept somewhere in the car should you have to change a flat tire. So with wheel locks installed, if they want your wheels bad enough they're going to break into your car to look for the key.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't use wheel locks. Most savy criminals know the wheel lock key is usually kept somewhere in the car should you have to change a flat tire. So with wheel locks installed, if they want your wheels bad enough they're going to break into your car to look for the key.

I have actually been thinking about doing the same. My locking nuts are all torn up. It's PITA just to get the key to line up and go on.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wheel locks are worthless. I have removed over 20 sets for customers who have lost their key. With the right tools, it's not hard and you don't need to break into anything. Not to mention the C4 style locks get chewed up and are very difficult to get on the locking nuts.

Replace them with regular nuts and be done with it. Who steals sawblades anyway?!?!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

You can buy those "Nut Grabber" tools at Sears that remove damaged nuts & bolts. I'm sure the thieves have an assortment of them on hand to remove the puzzle head lug nuts with no problem. A lot of times if they have trouble stealing something, they'll just trash it because it pissed them off.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 PM
shacky
Racer

I bought replacement lugs and locks at Summit Racing. Good price for nice new chrome lugs. I keep the lock key in the storage area behind the passanger seat. It's out of the way and I always know where it is.

I have thought about replacing my sawblades but I really like the look!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:07 AM
pgtr
Racer

Thanks everyone - pretty much what I figured.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
the most important thing is to put the key back where it belongs immediately after you use it. There is a place for it and as long as you put it back, it will be there for next time.
My key rattles around in the center console. I usually have to rummage around to find it. Is there a better place?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:57 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I think they came from the factory in the rear compartment. You can just put it in a zip-lock bag too.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 AM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by RickF
I saw something recently where people were putting sawblades on VWs; GTIs IIRC. IMO it looked pretty good!

Sawblades are cool again.

Personally, I wouldn't think the lock would be worth it unless theft is an ongoing problem in your neighborhood. Some people just like to steal. In many cases the tires are worth more than the 'blades.
If anybody has their sawblades stolen because they didn't have locking lugs, I'll gladly give you my Turbines, for free.

Dug this picture up from 3+ years ago. (Recently ? )

Old 01-03-2009, 11:15 AM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine don't have locks on them, and last time I looked, the wheels were still on the car.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

If the car is garaged there shouldn't be a problem. A little hard to steal them at a show or a cruise.

Get notified of new replies

To Are Wheel Anti-Theft Locks REALLY Necessary on OE Saw Blades?

Quick Reply: Are Wheel Anti-Theft Locks REALLY Necessary on OE Saw Blades?