C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

A Pillar and Header weatherstripping Install PT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Default A Pillar and Header weatherstripping Install PT1

Hello fellow forum Members. I started the first of many new years projects on my ZR-1. Along the way I took a few photos to share to help fellow members who are considering doing the same weatherstripping project. My Windshield header weatherstripping (WS) and side pillars were showing their age and were cracked in some areas and torn. On the front above the center of the windshield I had a significant crack in the original weather stripping that would allow air noise at 70mph into the cabin. Just enough to annoy me and all things considered I probably could have black RTVed it but I figured after 18 years of faithful service it was time to replace the factory originals.

I used GM replacements and the fit was excellent. (please no comments or debates on what the best weatherstripping products are) I used Wilcox for my rear hatch and that appears to be holding well. The rear hatch product from wilcox has stonger reinforced corners than the GM original had. I had never replaced the front header or side pillars before so hopefully somebody considering the project will learn something from my project.

First up I bought the Madvet weatherstripping 4 tool set which im my opnion made the job easier. The claw tool is excellent for removing the ws button clips in the lower door section and the upper corners. The scrapers and the pick tool were good for removing that pesky weatherstripping glue out of the channels. Lasty the tools are small and easily fit in your hand to get the job done. Heres a pic of the tools. Now remove the blue 15AMP INST fuse from the passenger fuse panel (saves the battery) Remove the top then open the doors and get to work !

Heres a pic of the work area

Heres a pic of the WS retaining clips, Two small clips fit in the lower door areas and the one larger/longer clips into the upper corners. Total of 6 for the entire project. The claw tool works great on these and doesnt damage them so you can reuse them.

Heres the WS upper corners locations, they simply push in

After removing the old WS (dont worry it will come out in about 1000 pieces lol) its time to scrape out the glue and old weatherstripping remnents. The angle chisel tool and pick tool work well in these areas. Take your time and clean the channel out completely. Also when removing the old WS be careful as the WS has a metal reinforcement wire inside of it. It would be easy to jab yourself if your not careful when working with the channel tools. As the WS starts to pull apart you will see it.

Heres what you looking for a total clean out of the uchannel on the top of the window frame. You will noticed that paint will come away from the center of the channel with the old glue. Heres an angle shot of the side of the channel. The more time you take to clean the area out the easier the reinstall. Dont worry about the paint loss as the new WS sits on top of it. The glue tends to be retained next to the install pins and bolts that the metal channel bolts too. Use the pick and go slow.

Last edited by Goldcylon; 01-05-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Absolutely fantastic. Where did you get the tools? How much? and are they useful in replacing other w/s on the car?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 PM
5POINT7
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for sharing!!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Steve59
Absolutely fantastic. Where did you get the tools? How much? and are they useful in replacing other w/s on the car?
I bought them from Midamerica Corvette or MADVET.com. Yes basically they cover all the Weatherstripping jobs on the C4. $26.99 plus shipping

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...triping%20tols

Last edited by Goldcylon; 01-06-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
Thanks a lot for sharing!!
No sweat! GC
Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Binski
Racer

Thanks, I was just about to start on this project, very helpful, thanks again!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
zaragoza
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Thank you.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nice!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Thanks fellows
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 AM
sonicfog
3rd Gear

Any chance we could get the photos for the original post to show up again. It would be helpful. This is a project that I would like to do.
Thanks
Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sonicfog
Any chance we could get the photos for the original post to show up again. It would be helpful. This is a project that I would like to do.
Thanks
Sorry Long gone but I will be doing this project again Soon. GC

Get notified of new replies

To A Pillar and Header weatherstripping Install PT1

Quick Reply: A Pillar and Header weatherstripping Install PT1