C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bose radio help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:11 PM
windhorse
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose radio help

I have a 1991 C-4 with Bose radio. I have a new radio installed today to take care of the problem. The new radio works but the problem remains.
When I first start up the car it turns on as usual. After a few moments there is a loud pop and the music is off and static is left. If I wait a while and turn the radio back on it comes on as usual and then a few moment later again a loud pop and the music goes of, radio stays on, and the static is back again. I disconnected each speaker and found it did the same thing with each speaker. Does this model have another amp some where? Can some one help me. This is a show car and I need to keep the factory radio. Please help me diagnose this problem.
Windhorse
Old 01-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the speakers need restored. you can buy a kit to do it your self or Dr Dons Radio repair from Texas can do it. I am sure others can do it too
Old 01-18-2009, 03:40 AM
ynk1121
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The head unit is actually nothing more than an interface. The tuner for the system is either in the passenger side storage compartment or above the passengers feet depending on year. There is an amp in each speaker box. I can't help with which piece is your problem though.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:40 AM
windhorse
Intermediate

Default help me understand

So you are saying all my speakers are bad? All my speakers are working. So why should I restore all my speakers? Help me out here to understand your suggestion and why you believe that.Where can I find out if there is a amp or head unit, other than in the turner unit,their location, and what it may look like? I sure am thankful for your help.
Windhorse

Last edited by windhorse; 01-18-2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: add to
Old 01-18-2009, 04:22 AM
ynk1121
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windhorse
So you are saying all my speakers are bad? All my speakers are working. So why should I restore all my speakers? Help me out here to understand your suggestion and why you believe that.Where can I find out if there is a amp or head unit, other than in the turner unit,their location, and what it may look like? I sure am thankful for your help.
Windhorse

This is a complete bose system that came from my car. The four things accross the top are amps. Left side is front right side is rears. There is one located in each speaker box. Under the rear amps in the picture is a CDM or tuner box. It is essentially the brains. It can be found in your car either in the rear passenger storage compartment or above the passengers feet depending on year. Under the CDM in the picture is the headunit. I think you can figure out where that is in the car. This is not a normal headunit. It is nothing more than an interface. It does not contain a radio tuner like traditional headunits. On the bottom left in the picture are the speakers. Large pair are the rears. Two smaller pairs are the fronts.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 AM
windhorse
Intermediate

Default Bose help

Thanks a lot. The passenger rear compartment has the C/D changer in it. So the brains must be under the passenger dash. Is that correct? I will look under there in AM, and see if I can find it. That may be my problem I hope. Can the brain be repaired or only a new one? I hope it can be repaired. Thanks for your help and pictures. That helps me a lot. Please let me know anything else you come up with.
Thanks again,
Windhorse
Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

So the brains must be under the passenger dash. Is that correct?
It should be tucked up under the glove box. Somewhere around 93/94 it was moved to one of the rear storage compartments. That makes it easier to get to but also allows any water that leaks in to get to it.

If you are going to remove the CDM from under the dash make sure you have a box of band aids close by. You will need them.

Been there, done that.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:21 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Blue 92
It should be tucked up under the glove box. Somewhere around 93/94 it was moved to one of the rear storage compartments. That makes it easier to get to but also allows any water that leaks in to get to it.

If you are going to remove the CDM from under the dash make sure you have a box of band aids close by. You will need them.

Been there, done that.
To get to the CDM, you will need to remove the hush panel, and them remove the air vent on the pass side. When you look into the dash thur the hole, you will see a silver colored box. Thats it. I can't tell you how to remove it, as I never took mine out.

Randy
Old 01-18-2009, 11:39 AM
windhorse
Intermediate

Default Bose help

So once I get the CDM out can I get it tested somewhere? Or do I just find a new one? How do I know that this is the problem? Thanks everyone for your help.
Windhorse
Old 01-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by RandyJ75
To get to the CDM, you will need to remove the hush panel, and them remove the air vent on the pass side. When you look into the dash thur the hole, you will see a silver colored box. Thats it. I can't tell you how to remove it, as I never took mine out.

Randy
I also pulled the glove box. You really can't reach anything through the opening but you can see a few items that need removed.

There is one screw in the fuse box that is easy to miss. Look for it before you snap off the plastic tab it runs though.

If I remember correctly there are three mounting points for the CDM plus the power and head unit connectors and the antenna lead.

It would also be good practice to read this thread laying on your back with a large rock in the center of your back (to simulate the door sill) and your feet at least 18" higher than your head.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
windhorse
Intermediate

Default Bose help

What did you do with it once you got it out? Did you get it tested or just replaced it? I want to make sure this is the issue and not waist time and money on something that is not wrong.Did your problems have the same symptoms as mine?
Thanks so much,
Windhorse
Old 01-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran

What did you do with it once you got it out? Did you get it tested or just replaced it? I want to make sure this is the issue and not waist time and money on something that is not wrong.Did your problems have the same symptoms as mine?
Thanks so much,
Windhorse
Mine is a non-Bose unit and would just die completely. A local radio shop wanted both units and my VIN # to send it out for repair. Along with a $50 or $75 deposit.

I picked up both a non-Bose head unit and CDM out of the "Parts for Sale" section for around $50. I pulled my head unit and tried the other one. No workee.

Then I pulled the CDM and tried it with my head unit and was back in business.

I keep meaning to send mine out for repair but haven't done it yet.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
BILL-L
Intermediate

Default Bose radio help

I had a problem with my Bose radio and went to Factory Car Stereo Repair, Inc. Look up there site it has a lot of usefull info.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:54 PM
rich653
Burning Brakes

If you really want to keep the Bose radio try this guy.

www.doctordons.com
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Check the amplifier relay.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:21 PM
windhorse
Intermediate

Default Bose help

Thanks for that suggestion. Where is the relay located?
Windhorse
Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

My 1990 maintenance manual says that it is located below the Left hand side of the instrument panel, near Right hand side of instrument cluster. According to the picture as you look forward towards the front of the car you will see three components, from the side at the instrument cluster you have the fuel pump relay, amplifier relay and the turn flasher. The relay cost is about $17.00 and they are available. There is a test procedure but the unit is so inexpensive that I would just replace it. If you need assistance email me at nyp1927@dejazzd.com. Please let us know if this was the problem. - Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Bose radio help

Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

[IMG][/IMG]Getting the CDM box out of the car is a total pain in the a$$.Take the pass seat out,take out the seat tracks,remove right dash fuse panel.One or more of the screws for the hush panel are in this area.After you remove the hush panel,get down into the foot well on your back and look up,the CDM box is behind the rats nest of plugs and wires.All the wires and plugs need to be moved the get the piece of $hit out of the car.The CDM box is up under the dash in a hole about 9X9 inches.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Getting the CDM box out of the car is a total pain in the a$$.Take the pass seat out,take out the seat tracks,remove right dash fuse panel.One or more of the screws for the hush panel are in this area.After you remove the hush panel,get down into the foot well on your back and look up,the CDM box is behind the rats nest of plugs and wires.All the wires and plugs need to be moved the get the piece of $hit out of the car.The CDM box is up under the dash in a hole about 9X9 inches.
I think they built the damn car around the CDM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

The amp relay is on the drivers side. It shouldn't be to hard to get to. Remove the lower panel and it should be on the right side, towards the center of the car.

Quick Reply: Bose radio help