Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

85 corvette - hood won't pop open - cables are OK - ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Default 85 corvette - hood won't pop open - cables are OK - ???

i'm visiting my son here in florida, and his 85's hood won't open without some assistance. all the cables seem fine, and primary latch (at the hinge piller), again, seems fine. when you pull the hood release, the drivers side pops up about a 1/2 inch or so, but the passengers side, doesn't pop up at all. to open the hood, you have to grab the hood at the windshield, and pull up, and pull the hood release a second time - then the hood will come up. i'm thinking its the RH "hood primary latch catch bolt bracket" (hood mounted spring thing) needs adjustment. i have the FSM, but nowhere is a detailed adjustment procedure for the hood opening mechanism - it just shows some engineering drawings of the components. i'm sure all c4's are the same, and i don't have access to my 90 FSM. does anyone have a dimension for the "latch catch bolts", or give me a adjustment procedure? i'd like to fix this thing before i go back home - TIA
Old 03-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty sure thats just normal on for the '85. I have to hold the release and pull up on my hood ever since I bought it. The later years came with the hood assist shock which i'm sure helps a lot.

You could try putting some grease on the hood locks and it might help some.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 AM
ragged claws
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the '85 but my '89 has an adjustment nut on each cable end (at the latch). I adjusted mine when I installed some emergency hood release wires and haven't had a problem since.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 AM
rich653
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here, I've replaced the hood springs,shock and adjusted cables, spring tension..etc. but I still have to do the one hand release and other hand pull on the hood. On the bright side I've got it down pat and now it just feels like the normal way to open the hood. If you find some magic cure post it so I can try it.

Get notified of new replies

To 85 corvette - hood won't pop open - cables are OK - ???

Quick Reply: 85 corvette - hood won't pop open - cables are OK - ???