C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1986 Seat Cushion Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1986 Seat Cushion Removal

How do you remove the upper seat cushion from the seat frame on a 1986 Corvette? My manual has no information on this topic.

My seats have side bolsters that are secured to the seat back frame. None of the search results address this configuration. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:18 AM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,005 Likes on 837 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default 86

Not sure about an 86. I have an 89 and they are held by these long wire clips if I recall, its been a while since I had mine off. You push the edge of the leather toward the center of the seat. Look inside the gap that makes when you do that.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
Not sure about an 86. I have an 89 and they are held by these long wire clips if I recall, its been a while since I had mine off. You push the edge of the leather toward the center of the seat. Look inside the gap that makes when you do that.
I can't push the edge of the leather toward the center of the seat because the side bolsters are attached to the seat back.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:48 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker
I can't push the edge of the leather toward the center of the seat because the side bolsters are attached to the seat back.
On the back side of the cushion's foam there are 2 steel rods (one on each side) about 1/4 in dia running from about 3-4 inches under the head rest part down to about 3-4 inches from bottom end of seat back. These slide into clips on the plastic seat back. You can feel the easy one to reach which is the one you 1st need to remove from under the retention clip. It is on the seat back side closest to the door. Pull the edge of cushion out from plastic seatback about 10 inches from the top. About 3 inches in from edge you'll feel it with your finger tips. That rod needs to be pushed toward the middle of the seat cushion to free it from the clip. Once you have the rod free from top and bottom clips the rod from the center side of car will slip out of the 2 clips that held it in place when you pull the cushion toward the door. I've found the easiest tool to use to push the rod from under the clips is the garden tool pictured. You can work the tool so the rod will slide into the "V" of the tool and enable you to push the rod toward the center and from under the clip.

Some place on the CF there was a picture of the back od the back chusion that clearly showed the 2 rods that you need to get out from their clips. I may have an old seat back cushion in the shop. If I do I'll post a picture...or maybe some one else has a picture for you to better understand what I'm talking about.

I found a cushion from a '93 and the rod that goes under the clip is only at the top. Don'r know if that's different fthan on older C4s or if it's just my old brain but what ever here's a picture of the seat cushion and the rod you need to get from ubder the clips.

Last edited by ZRWON; 03-22-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: add picture of cushion
Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Biker
Burning Brakes

ZRWON, thanks for the comments. A GM tech on one of the Harley message boards I visit answered my question.

My '86 has sport seats. Removing the seat backs is quite a project. The seat backs are hog-ringed to the side bolsters, and the bolsters are stapled to the seat back. The GM tech suggested that I let an upholstery shop tackle the job.

Last edited by Biker; 03-23-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:23 AM
sloaner
3rd Gear

Default 1986 rear seat cushion removal

Originally Posted by ZRWON
On the back side of the cushion's foam there are 2 steel rods (one on each side) about 1/4 in dia running from about 3-4 inches under the head rest part down to about 3-4 inches from bottom end of seat back. These slide into clips on the plastic seat back. You can feel the easy one to reach which is the one you 1st need to remove from under the retention clip. It is on the seat back side closest to the door. Pull the edge of cushion out from plastic seatback about 10 inches from the top. About 3 inches in from edge you'll feel it with your finger tips. That rod needs to be pushed toward the middle of the seat cushion to free it from the clip. Once you have the rod free from top and bottom clips the rod from the center side of car will slip out of the 2 clips that held it in place when you pull the cushion toward the door. I've found the easiest tool to use to push the rod from under the clips is the garden tool pictured. You can work the tool so the rod will slide into the "V" of the tool and enable you to push the rod toward the center and from under the clip.

Some place on the CF there was a picture of the back od the back chusion that clearly showed the 2 rods that you need to get out from their clips. I may have an old seat back cushion in the shop. If I do I'll post a picture...or maybe some one else has a picture for you to better understand what I'm talking about.

I found a cushion from a '93 and the rod that goes under the clip is only at the top. Don'r know if that's different fthan on older C4s or if it's just my old brain but what ever here's a picture of the seat cushion and the rod you need to get from ubder the clips.
Great how-to instructions. I would never have figured it out. It was a piece of cake to do with finger tips only, no tool needed. Thanks very much.

sloaner
Old 01-27-2014, 03:28 AM
sloaner
3rd Gear

Thanks ZRWON. Those were great instructions. I would never have been able to figure it out. It was a piece of cake to do with no tools using finger tips only.

sloaner
Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Getting it out is easy. Getting it back in is a little more difficult…

Take an old screwdriver and grind a notch in the tip. Use it to push inward on the rod while pushing rearward on the cushion to get the rod to latch on the hooks.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:08 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Found this tip on a Wilcox site:

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Seat Cushion Removal

Quick Reply: 1986 Seat Cushion Removal