Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How did C1, C2, C3, C4 etc designations originate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I agree. Every catalog I read about the C5 when it first appeared explained why you should buy one because of how much better it was than the C4. I mean from a technological standpoint they were right but I mean come on. Other car makes that the Corvette is compared with don't take a dump on their previous generation designs to push the new one.

But that's the Corvette marketing motto: the next generation is always suppose to be bigger and better than the last. Come to think of it, I guess every car maker these days follows that philosopy but they keep it low key.
I don't recall that being the Corvette marketing motto previously, was it? It seemed surprisingly crappy. Like the guys who did the C5 really didn't like Corvettes previously. It also seemed sort of short-sighted not to compare your car to the competition, and to instead hack apart your past. Maybe some guy driving a C4 stole Dave Hill's girlfriend in high school or something.

While some of you guys are stating the letter "C" followed by a number was certainly uttered by someone somewhere prior to the 1997 Corvette, no doubt, that's true. However its use as a common reference to a generation of Corvette, and one specifically defined as '53-62, '63-67, '68-82, '84-96, and '97+ most definitely first appeared with the C5. It was in marketing materials and magazine articles about the "new" Corvette.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:52 PM
96polovette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I agree. Every catalog I read about the C5 when it first appeared explained why you should buy one because of how much better it was than the C4. I mean from a technological standpoint they were right but I mean come on. Other car makes that the Corvette is compared with don't take a dump on their previous generation designs to push the new one.

But that's the Corvette marketing motto: the next generation is always suppose to be bigger and better than the last. Come to think of it, I guess every car maker these days follows that philosopy but they keep it low key.
Yes, I remember every magazine article touting the new C5, from Corvette Fever, to Automobile to Road & Track saying how much of an improvement the C5 was over the previous generation. They failed to mention at the time the ZR-1 was still "king of the hill" and had 60 more horses than the new 97 C5. It wouldn't be until the C5 ZO6 was introduced that a new corvette could match the best of the previous generation. The C5 had a lot of improvements over the previous generation, but some things were also lost, namely the low race car feel, the new styling did not appeal to everyone, and the car felt almost too refined. The LT4 cars were right there performancewise with the C5. The jump from LT4 to LS1 was not as impressive as the magazines made it out to be, only later versions of the LSX engine were a significant improvement from a performance standpoint.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Final Effort
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aj1988
I bought my first Vette in Dec. 67 so the 68 Stingray was a new car at the time. I remember that all the 53 - 62 Vettes were called Solid Axle cars, the 63 - 67s were Mid-Years, and after 68 all of the Stingrays were called Sharks. Then when the 84 came out the factory called it a C4 and that seems to have moved back to include the C1, C2, C3, etc.

Call me old school, or cranky, but the old ones will always be solid axle and mid-years to me.
I guess we went to the same school.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 AM
rzmnco
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markKlein
It is my undestanding that the "generations" share common frame, suspension, interior design etc. The difference in looks between a 68 and an 82 are body panels, but the fundamentals are the same. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Quick Reply: How did C1, C2, C3, C4 etc designations originate?