C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

questions about 84 vette door locks

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:18 PM
puppytracks
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about 84 vette door locks

I have an 84 Corvette and have had it for 26 years. It's been setting for several years and I've been getting it road ready this summer. It has a new battery, but it was going bad after a week. I think I found the problem, the security light on the dash was blinking all the time and not going out in a few seconds as the owner's manual said it should. Called several Corvette places and they told that 84's don't have security systems. Can anyone advise me. One scrap yard that deals in Corvette parts said it could be it the door lock itself. Has anyone had this problem or can they give me any information about the system.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:24 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^First off there is a security system on the 84......

I'm not sure what makes the Security light "Stop" flashing after a while. I would [thoroughly, with an ohm meter] check all the fuses in the panel. It seems that they mixed them all around....in other words strange things are wired together under certain fuses......So a fuse that you wouldn't think runs a circuit is the one you are after.

It could be something as simple as a door switch......If you leave your door open, the cabin lights do go out after a while.....
Old 07-19-2009, 03:34 PM
tdonlin
Instructor

Originally Posted by puppytracks
I have an 84 Corvette and have had it for 26 years. It's been setting for several years and I've been getting it road ready this summer. It has a new battery, but it was going bad after a week. I think I found the problem, the security light on the dash was blinking all the time and not going out in a few seconds as the owner's manual said it should. Called several Corvette places and they told that 84's don't have security systems. Can anyone advise me. One scrap yard that deals in Corvette parts said it could be it the door lock itself. Has anyone had this problem or can they give me any information about the system.
I'll see if I can help. 7 years ago when got my 84 had a kind of similar issue. Battery kept draining and I would pop a fuse. Also told 84's didn't have security system but my horn would just suddenly start honking intermittenly in the garage. Read something in the manual about having to use the door key to activate/deactivate the theft deterrent feature (wouldn't this be a security system?) which would prevent the vehicle from being started. I ended up removing the little module from behind the control screen. It was a faded white plastic with I think a black wire w/purple tracer. This bypassed the door lock, intermittent horn, and allowed me to be able to start the car and it solved my battery issue. Down side is I don't have a horn now. Been meaning to direct wire that. I ended up putting in an after market alarm w/auto door locks via a key fob. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:25 PM
brian84
Instructor

hey guys,
my 84 is having issues with its security system acting up also.

trying to disable the security system by un locking the door with the key is not working at the moment.

probobly a bad or un hooked wire or switch in the door.

here is a picture of whats behind my driver info pannel.
can any one point out the right thing to unplug to temporarly
bypass the starter interupt relay in here ?

id like to have the ability to start up the car and move it around
( living in a apartment complex is a pain in the neck )

edit - I thought it might of been whats labeled "D" but when I tried to start the car with that unpluged, it did the same thing like the starter interupt relay again. just dead everything when I try and crank.
so it probly isnt that, unless it needs a wire jumping one conection to another.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM
jaclt
Heel & Toe

On the 87 I am working on I put a jumper between the Yellow wire and the Green/white wires located on "D". I don't know if the 84 is the same. The yellow wire on the 87 has 12v when the key is turned to "start". If your car doesn't have the yellow wire, unplug "D" and test to see which wire has 12v when the key is in "Start". Connect that wire to the Green/White that goes to the starter solenoid.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:12 PM
brian84
Instructor

after finding this post and reading awesome info from Ray Quayle

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-85-vette.html

I ended up finding a big 100amp fuse to jumper the wires a and d on the conector ( on my 84 are purple and green/white stripe )
that used to plug in to the dirty white thing called " D " in above pic

I believe doing so has bypased the starter interupt relay
I hope.

car still starts up like this, so....
hopefully that might do it for now - this starter interupt thing was driving me crazy !
I swear mine grew a mind of its own, and would randomly decide to interupt the starter with or without
the security system activated - but the security system on mine is also acting up now also.
so my horn is temporarly unpluged at the moment also.

Last edited by brian84; 08-05-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 PM
0J&D Corvette
Former Vendor

The actual lock and unlock buttons can wear down and make contact by themselves causing the door lock actuator to lock on its own. Also check your interior light timer, Theyre known for draining the battery by keeping your interior lights on all the time.
http://www.jdcorvette.com

Get notified of new replies

To questions about 84 vette door locks

Quick Reply: questions about 84 vette door locks