C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rear Spoiler with the word Corvette on each side

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:58 PM
uptown193
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Rear Spoiler with the word Corvette on each side

I own a 1987 corvette that has a body kit and a rear spoiler. On the rear spoiler the word CORVETTE (in capital letters) is engraved on each side. Is this an aftermarket spoiler or was it put on in the factory? I never seen it on any other Corvette???

Old 07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Greenwood kit...I like it but most wont.

No street Corvette has ever had a rear wing on it. That is only aftermarket. It is not believed to have needed one due to the independant suspension and low center of gravity. Notice mustangs, GTOs, camaros, hondas have spoilers usually for cosmetics but unless your doing triple digits on the track trying to shave down a few tenths and your wheels are making so much power that the rear end will lift off the ground, then no, a spoiler is not going to give you a noticable gain on the street. Yes, it makes it a little more stable on highway speeds but on a Corvette, that is not a problem like the other cars I mentioned.

Keep the body kit and get ready for members to get upset about how it ruins the lines. The Corvette engraving really makes it pop though. I have not seen that before but I am also not familiar with greenwood kits as I have never personally dealt with them.

Since you already have a body kit, it would be better looking AND beneficial to lower your car. I would go 1 inch. It's pretty cheap and easy. Looks good and does help the car handle better.

Last edited by M.J.L.; 07-28-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 PM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Greenwood also

Mine is the same, problem to remove is the bolt holes in the back would have to be filled and paint matched to hide them. I like them on mine, and though others tastes are different, and many threads have really slammed the kits ---- I will keep them on my car as long as I own it. Someday the new owner can remove them if they want.

Nice car BTW

Here is mine

Old 07-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uptown193
Is this an aftermarket spoiler or was it put on in the factory? I never seen it on any other Corvette???
Negatory

Jim
Old 07-28-2009, 04:24 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Some people don't like them because of ricers. It's considered a ricer mod because it cost alot and doesn't add any HP/TQ. Aerodynamics are just as important. Thus the C6 has built in headlights rather than the pop up headlights now to prevent drag. Wheather the greenwood kit actually makes a noticable difference on a bone stock street car is beyond me but it looks cool and you guys like it so thats great!
Old 07-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Waspination
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same spoiler. I wonder about that too cuz it said corvette. I think if a spoiler is gonna go on a corvette, it should be this one cuz it matches well with the body and with the name on it. There may be others that are better now. I think the new corvettes looks excellent stock. I hate seein cheesy big *** wings on cars. Mine is big enough, any bigger would ruin the car.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Doug 87L98
Drifting

Originally Posted by ~Oakley~
Wheather the greenwood kit actually makes a noticable difference on a bone stock street car is beyond me but it looks cool and you guys like it so thats great!
None whatsoever. It is just an appearance package.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:50 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Heres my spoiler, and it was a factory option. Just kidding
I think your vettes look great.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Robert Anderson
Instructor

Default Spoiler

Originally Posted by uptown193
I own a 1987 corvette that has a body kit and a rear spoiler. On the rear spoiler the word CORVETTE (in capital letters) is engraved on each side. Is this an aftermarket spoiler or was it put on in the factory? I never seen it on any other Corvette???

If you are going to Carlisle, look for an 86 coupe painted C6 Sunset Orange Metalic with that same spoiler in the Fun Show Field. He is one of our club members. He also put small GREEN and PURPLE stripes on the hood and believe it or not it looks GREAT! (have to see it to believe it)
Robert Anderson
www.virginiacorvetteclub.com
Old 07-28-2009, 06:02 PM
yellow87
Advanced

Default its the greenwood package,

Old 07-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Greenwood kit.

That is a greenwood spoiler, I have the full kit on my 90 Quasar blue beauty. Some forum members are very negative about spoilers and body kits, but hey, it is your car so what you think is what counts. I think my car looks great so I dont care what other people think. I would love to post a pic but this old man is not very computer savvy. So enjoy you Vette, they are beauties with or without the body kits. Allentown Ernie.

Last edited by Allentown Ernie; 07-29-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

greenwood baby
Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Doug 87L98
None whatsoever. It is just an appearance package.
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought so and unless you are like the C6R going around a track that fast, it's just cosmetic.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 PM
shbbykins
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my greenwood doesnt have the lettering. lucky bastard :p
Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 AM
uptown193
Drifting

Originally Posted by Waspination
I got the same spoiler. I wonder about that too cuz it said corvette. I think if a spoiler is gonna go on a corvette, it should be this one cuz it matches well with the body and with the name on it. There may be others that are better now. I think the new corvettes looks excellent stock. I hate seein cheesy big *** wings on cars. Mine is big enough, any bigger would ruin the car.

Hi, actually your rear spoiler is different than mine. Mine is a lil thicker and mine curls up a lil in the back, I also do not see the word CORVETTE engraved in yours....
Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 AM
uptown193
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Green Hornet
Heres my spoiler, and it was a factory option. Just kidding
I think your vettes look great.
Thanks Green Hornet.

btw I love your rack.....
Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

I think that body kit looks better than some others I've seen.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Spoiler with the word Corvette on each side

Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 AM
uptown193
Drifting

Originally Posted by yellow87
Again, I do not know if mine is Greenwood. I do not see the word CORVETTE engraved on your rear spoiler and the original Greenwood has GREENWOOD engraved on their spoiler. You see what I am talking about?

I know the rest of the body kit is the same as your, but without CORVETTE engraved...

However, you car looks awesome with the kit....

Last edited by uptown193; 07-29-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 AM
uptown193
Drifting

Originally Posted by shbbykins
my greenwood doesnt have the lettering. lucky bastard :p
LMAO...........
Old 07-29-2009, 12:47 AM
uptown193
Drifting

Originally Posted by ~Oakley~
Greenwood kit...I like it but most wont.

No street Corvette has ever had a rear wing on it. That is only aftermarket. It is not believed to have needed one due to the independant suspension and low center of gravity. Notice mustangs, GTOs, camaros, hondas have spoilers usually for cosmetics but unless your doing triple digits on the track trying to shave down a few tenths and your wheels are making so much power that the rear end will lift off the ground, then no, a spoiler is not going to give you a noticable gain on the street. Yes, it makes it a little more stable on highway speeds but on a Corvette, that is not a problem like the other cars I mentioned.

Keep the body kit and get ready for members to get upset about how it ruins the lines. The Corvette engraving really makes it pop though. I have not seen that before but I am also not familiar with greenwood kits as I have never personally dealt with them.

Since you already have a body kit, it would be better looking AND beneficial to lower your car. I would go 1 inch. It's pretty cheap and easy. Looks good and does help the car handle better.

Hey thanks for the response. Forum members should not get upset due to us having a body kit, I think it makes it look nicer thats all.

I actually started this thread to find outif my rear wing/spoiler was from the factory or aftermarket due to the fact that it has the name CORVETTE engraved on the sides of the rear spoiler. This was my actual question and reason for starting this thread. Does anyone know the true answer to this question?

All the other guys that posted their boy kit pictures looked very nice but none of theirs have CORVETTE engraved on the sides of the rear spoiler. So is it factory or aftermarket???? I do not think its Greenwood or it would say Greenwood on sides like I seen on others.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler with the word Corvette on each side