C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Owner

Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 PM
azrocketman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner

Hello,

My name is Steve and I'm now the proud owner of my first Corvette. It's a 1986 L98/automatic convertible with 71K miles. It's a good looking car being silver with a black top. Of course, being almost 25 years old, it has a couple of relatively minor issues. I'm going to fix them while I'm changing fluids and performing maintenance on the car. Are any of these typical C4 issues?

1) The emergency brake handle feels like it is not connected to anything. I'm guessing a bad cable under the car.

2) The oil pressure indicates 10 psi with the engine off and 65 to 80 psi with the engine running. I'm assuming that the sender is bad. Is a GM part required or is aftermarket OK?

3) The tattletale lamps (e.g. emergency brake, door ajar, ABS) do not light during the engine start lamp check. The door ajar lamp does not light if you open a door. I'm guessing that there is a common ground or connector that may be disconnected or has poor contact. I'm thinking that I need the electrical schematics to troubleshoot this one.

4) I'm putting together a tool kit to keep in the car. Any specific tools (like a wrench for the belt tensioner) that I'll need. Also, is the car all SAE fasteners or did GM mix it up (metric and SAE)?

I'm going to the National Corvette Museum in two weeks (less Corvette because I'm hauling stuff for another hobby of mine). Any "must have" books for the newbie Corvette owner while I'm there?

Steve
Old 08-03-2009, 01:21 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by azrocketman
Hello,

My name is Steve and I'm now the proud owner of my first Corvette. It's a 1986 L98/automatic convertible with 71K miles. It's a good looking car being silver with a black top. Of course, being almost 25 years old, it has a couple of relatively minor issues. I'm going to fix them while I'm changing fluids and performing maintenance on the car. Are any of these typical C4 issues?

1) The emergency brake handle feels like it is not connected to anything. I'm guessing a bad cable under the car.

2) The oil pressure indicates 10 psi with the engine off and 65 to 80 psi with the engine running. I'm assuming that the sender is bad. Is a GM part required or is aftermarket OK?

3) The tattletale lamps (e.g. emergency brake, door ajar, ABS) do not light during the engine start lamp check. The door ajar lamp does not light if you open a door. I'm guessing that there is a common ground or connector that may be disconnected or has poor contact. I'm thinking that I need the electrical schematics to troubleshoot this one.

4) I'm putting together a tool kit to keep in the car. Any specific tools (like a wrench for the belt tensioner) that I'll need. Also, is the car all SAE fasteners or did GM mix it up (metric and SAE)?

I'm going to the National Corvette Museum in two weeks (less Corvette because I'm hauling stuff for another hobby of mine). Any "must have" books for the newbie Corvette owner while I'm there?

Steve
CONGRATS Steve! Welcome to THE Forum. I hope you have $$$ in the bank, because the bills will pile up quick

All kidding aside, the problems you mentioned don't seem that bad. The oil sender sounds like its bad or just a bad connection. Mine used to read 80 all the time, then I replaced it and its working fine. I used a NOS part and it wasn't too expensive. Its a hard part to get to however, best if you remove the wiper motor to allow access. You will learn quickly that on a Vette in order to replace or repair one thing, you have to go thru another.

My e brake always felt "loose" but I know it works. You may just have to adjust the parking brake cables, provided they are attached. Its fairly easy. Jack the rear up, remove the wheels and locate the adjuster star thru the rotor. I forget which way is to tighten, maybe someone here can tell you.

For the lamps, make sure the bulbs aren't burnt out or taken out. Do they light up otherwise? When I got my 85 some of the idiot lights didn't work as well as some of the other dash lights. The previous owner had told me the alternator went and was overcharging so it fried some of the switches and blew some lamps. Take off the center bezel and you can remove the "box" that contains the lamps. Its a good place to start. The door ajar issue might be a bad door jam switch, they go all the time, very common I understand.

Lastly, tools. Get yourself a nice Metric tool set and a GM Factory Service Manual. Almost everything is metric. You will need up to 27mm if you want to tackle the heavy stuff like suspension, etc. I picked up a nice Craftsman set with SAE and Metric that goes to 18mm and I've added to it. The belt tensioner is a 1/2", any 1/2" breaker bar will plug right in. I generally keep a flashlight, set of screwdrivers & small socket set in the car for the long trips. I always keep my Hagerty card in my wallet for the roadside assistance call should I not be able to fix it myself.

While at the Museum, you might want to look into getting a copy of your window sticker and build sheet. They used to offer a package where you got the sticker, the build sheet, a brochure from your year and a copy of the Corvette Black Book.

Good Luck and remember, we're all here to help you.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

The oil pressure unit is behind the distributor next to the fire wall and is a little difficult to get to. Here is a picture of the unit...the one on the right with the single tab for the electrical fitting. With a little help (two people) you can get it out if you remove the distributor cap only. One person on the drivers side with a socket with an extension and someone on the passenger side to hold it up and not let it fall down when you take it off. Reverse things to install.....some one to hold it in position as you start to screw it in. You can buy these at almost any auto parts store or on line.

I would not use Teflon tape on the threads. The unit should have a sealant already on the threads. If not, then use something like pipe joint compound. I had an experience where Teflon tape was used on the threads and a small piece came off and plugged the hole in the sending unit and showed ZERO pressure!

with ejscarfo on the other items.

Welcome to the forum. Take your time and learn how to use the search function....it will be very helpful.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:11 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Steve welcome to the Forum Sounds like you got some pretty good help already. Good luck with those issues and let us know how things work out.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:35 PM
jsls0130
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your C4.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 AM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome, welcome, welcome!

congratulations on a great car! always fun to start the repair list,
but don't forget to drive it! that's the best part!

looks like you got some great tool suggestions, but i'd like to reccomend a fire extinguisher on board to be prepared for the worst! nothing like not having one when when you need one!

enjoy!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:53 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

welcome aboard
Old 08-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Epimax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum!
Congrats on the new Vette! ENJOY!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Aquaman92
Le Mans Master

Welcome to the Forum
Old 08-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Bob89c4
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Steve & welcome. You'll be spending alot of time here.

Enjoy and post some pics!

Bob
Old 08-04-2009, 06:58 AM
PAINTER MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome Steve. It's always great to have a new member.

AS for the info panel. If none of the lights are working, I would check the connector on the back of it. It is a big connector. One of my tabs that locks it into place is broken. That's always a problem with old cars. I have to get it just right or it won't work.

Have fun.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 AM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

welcome aboard !
Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:06 PM
azrocketman
Racer

Thanks everybody for the responses. I'm looking for a long term relationship with Corvettes and this forum.

One last question: There is a fabric piece that covers the "package shelf" under the rear window when the convertible top is up. The leading edge of the fabric flutters while driving with the windows down. Is there a way to fix this (tape or velcro do not appear to be solutions because the fabric folds with the convertible top)?

Steve
Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome Steve,

Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome !!

Get notified of new replies