C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Video of a "Cash for Clunker" C4 destory

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:06 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
An older C4, in that condition? yes.. The car looked like crap.

You can pick up a LT1 car for under $5k, go faster, not have the lame dash/doorpanels/breadbox, better rims/brakes/suspension.

-- Joe
Still, you guys are saying a C4 is worth the same as a late third gen Trans Am or Camaro? I see third gens for sale all the time in the $5k+ range. I sure as hell wouldn't sell my C4 for the same price someone down the road is selling their Trans Am.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:16 PM
azrocketman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've learned from my mistake.

Vette owners seem to have this ignorant love towards the car, and they see past all the mistakes, defects, and issues with these cars.

I still like corvettes, I just made a huge mistake by owning a C4. I should have done my homework. Everything I found on my own was documented by others, just didn't do the research. My bad.

But I'm not going to stand around now and go "no, the car wasnt really a turd".. C4 is a dud. End of story. Seeing one go to the crusher makes me feel relief, because some poor kid won't buy it and spend 10k on it trying to make it enjoyable.

-- Joe
I just purchased a 1986 convertible. Is it as fast, comfortable, or reliable as a new C6? Probably not, but it's paid for and annual insurance and registration costs are less than $500.00 per year. More important, I'm aware of the car's shortcomings and I made a decision that I'm getting a lot of value for the dollars paid.

There are many cars out there that people may consider expendable. I own one, a 1997 Saturn SL1. Yet, if you look at the Saturn S series forum, its members are just as passionate about their cars as the folks in this forum are. The Saturn S series folks have the advantage that their cars do not qualify as clunkers or they would have similar posts.

Very few people want to see the wanton destruction of a good condition, serviceable automobile. Even if the vehicle does not appeal to the population at large, e.g. most Corvette folks probably are not Lincoln Town Car fans, the waste of materials and transportation assets for relatively minimal financial gain is abhorrent.

Steve
Old 08-19-2009, 04:26 PM
coltacp
Intermediate

Hell, I would have given the person who turned in that C4 at least $5000 for that car. What kind of idiot would take only $3500 for it?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:41 PM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

[QUOTE=anesthes;1571189562]I've learned from my mistake.

Vette owners seem to have this ignorant love towards the car, and they see past all the mistakes, defects, and issues with these cars.

I still like corvettes, I just made a huge mistake by owning a C4. I should have done my homework. Everything I found on my own was documented by others, just didn't do the research. My bad.

But I'm not going to stand around now and go "no, the car wasnt really a turd".. C4 is a dud. End of story. Seeing one go to the crusher makes me feel relief, because some poor kid won't buy it and spend 10k on it trying to make it enjoyable.

Thanks for inserting a little sunshine into our day
Old 08-19-2009, 05:21 PM
drrobstar
Instructor

That was very hard to watch. Painful.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 PM
evil1knevel
Advanced

I cant believe i watched that
it broke my heart
i wanted a vette so long and now that I have one I will never !!!!
let that happen to my baby!!!
Government people have the wrong ideas
they should ALL be voted out !!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:38 PM
87 Ragtop
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X Blind Auto-X Champ

Originally Posted by azrocketman
Very few people want to see the wanton destruction of a good condition, serviceable automobile. Even if the vehicle does not appeal to the population at large, e.g. most Corvette folks probably are not Lincoln Town Car fans, the waste of materials and transportation assets for relatively minimal financial gain is abhorrent.

Steve
That is what kills me about this. Here is a picture of a perfectly good towncar that was Clunkered here in Columbus I took a couple of weeks ago.

Several Vans, Trucks, and SUV's are being needlessly crushed. Some family out there that can't afford a new car would have loved to have one of those.

You Tube is full of these videos. One guy actually is videoing them and cursing everyone he has to do. Calls it a waste. I'd post them, but he's cussing in them so they won't fly here

As far as parting them out, check out this Chevy Pickup that got clunkered. Doesn't look like much got parted out of this one.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Cude
They can kiss my a##, They are not going to get mine!! What I don't understand is why can't they salvage the cars. Give the people a chance to do some good with the parts.
You meen the same people who helped to finance this program.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM
c4sailor
Pro

Originally Posted by desertmike1
You meen the same people who helped to finance this program.

IMO:
One correction, foreign governments are the first "financiers" of this plan because they are the ones buying the USA's debt. Future generations will service that debt - to the extent that they can carry the load. Once these countries figure out the the USA can't repay it, the jig is up and the US is in for a long recession. The Congress has a vested interest in the US people not figuring this out! Yes, they ALL need to go! To simplify, "when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging". Washington doesn't get that. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:34 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I just don't understand why they don't go to salvage yards to strip them to keep people who are not made of money on the road with parts down the line??

That corvette was worth more in parts than $4500 bucks WTF people?
WTF is happening with this country
Old 08-20-2009, 12:24 AM
bdw18_123
Drifting

Location: Prather, California -1990 ZR-1 White/Flame Red- -SOLD!!-
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogs
I just don't understand why they don't go to salvage yards to strip them to keep people who are not made of money on the road with parts down the line??

That corvette was worth more in parts than $4500 bucks WTF people?
WTF is happening with this country

That video and the other videos on YouTube about cars being destroyed is just sickening!

This country is going to hell in a handbasket because everyone is too damn greedy and doesn't appreciate what they have. Yeah, let me go give my perfectly good running car that I DONT OWE ANYTHING ON and give it away to be crushed and get into debt for a car that won't last half as long.

How the stupid a$$ government thinks that DESTROYING wealth (using OUR tax dollars!!!) will improve the economy is just beyond me. Are we all really that F'in stupid? Like sheep to the slaughter, no one thinks for themselves any more. Watching stuff like that makes me really, really pissed off.

The government offers handouts and everyone comes running... Disgusting!

Last edited by bdw18_123; 08-20-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Bob89c4
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now they are saying the clunker thing ain't working so well. Could you see this coming?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...s-dealers.aspx
Old 08-20-2009, 03:16 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

The Cash for Clunkers is just there to boost auto sales. If not, then they'd let you buy a used car from the dealer that gets more than 10 MPG than your old one.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:02 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Yeah it ends Monday

Originally Posted by dogcatvette
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090820/...h_for_clunkers

Cash for Clunkers to end on Monday

By KEN THOMAS and STEPHEN MANNING, Associated Press Writers Ken Thomas And Stephen Manning, Associated Press Writers – 20 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration plans to end the popular $3 billion Cash for Clunkers program on Monday, giving car shoppers a few more days to take advantage of big government incentives.

The Transportation Department said Thursday the government will wind down the program on Monday at 8 p.m. EDT. Car buyers can receive rebates of $3,500 or $4,500 for trading in older vehicles for new, more fuel-efficient models.

"It's been a thrill to be part of the best economic news story in America," Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement. "Now we are working toward an orderly wind down of this very popular program."

Through Thursday, auto dealers have made deals worth $1.9 billion and are on pace to exhaust the program's $3 billion in early September. The incentives have generated more than 457,000 vehicle sales. Administration officials said they have reviewed nearly 40 percent of the transactions and have already paid out $145 million to dealers.

Administration officials said applications for rebates will not be accepted after 8 p.m. EDT Monday and dealers should not make additional sales without receiving all the necessary paperwork from their customers. Dealers will be able to resubmit rejected applications after the deadline.

President Barack Obama said in an interview Thursday that the program has been "successful beyond anybody's imagination" but dealers were overwhelmed by the response of consumers. He pledged that dealers "will get their money."

Dealers have complained of delays in getting reimbursed and backlogs of vehicle paperwork getting processed in the program. Dealers have said they face a risk of not being reimbursed but LaHood has pledged that dealers will get paid for the incentives.

The administration has said it has tripled the number of staffers sorting through the dealer paperwork.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 PM
neverendingprojects
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
So, now you guys are saying a C4 is worth only $2500? Damn, it looks like it is cheaper to get a C4 than a third gen Trans Am or Camaro.
OOPs joshw accidentally quoted the wrong post of yours, was referring to the 5k one!

Very Very sad but seemingly true, this 92 six speed didnt even sell on ebay for 4K...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220465374854

Last edited by neverendingprojects; 08-20-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neverendingprojects
OOPs joshw accidentally quoted the wrong post of yours, was referring to the 5k one!

Very Very sad but seemingly true, this 92 six speed didnt even sell on ebay for 4K...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220465374854
93 Camaro 145k miles for $5800. I see this all the time:

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1327334195.html
Old 08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Silverbullet6spd
Racer

We have a 94 vette we took in for C4C. What a waste!

Get notified of new replies

To Video of a "Cash for Clunker" C4 destory

Old 08-21-2009, 11:56 PM
87 Ragtop
Race Director

CI X Blind Auto-X Champ

Originally Posted by Silverbullet6spd
We have a 94 vette we took in for C4C. What a waste!
Was there something wrong with it? You couldn't get $4,500 for a 94 LT1 at a dealership? That doesn't make any sense.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 Ragtop
Was there something wrong with it? You couldn't get $4,500 for a 94 LT1 at a dealership? That doesn't make any sense.
That is because you like the cars therefore you think it's worth it.

The dealer, and consumers wouldn't pay that. Dealer might have given him $2500, and put it on the lot for $5000, expecting to sell it for around $4200.. If he's lucky.

Forget the fact that it's a "Corvette" for a second. It's an OLD GM car, which will probably be unreliable, breakdown, etc. They made soo many C4's the "Corvette value" isn't really apparent at this point.

And even with that said, the dealer down the street from me has had the same 1969 C3 since about March, and the price is reasonable IMO. Just won't sell.

-- Joe
Old 08-22-2009, 10:53 AM
87 Ragtop
Race Director

CI X Blind Auto-X Champ

That is because you like the cars therefore you think it's worth it.

The dealer, and consumers wouldn't pay that. Dealer might have given him $2500, and put it on the lot for $5000, expecting to sell it for around $4200.. If he's lucky.

Forget the fact that it's a "Corvette" for a second. It's an OLD GM car, which will probably be unreliable, breakdown, etc. They made soo many C4's the "Corvette value" isn't really apparent at this point.

And even with that said, the dealer down the street from me has had the same 1969 C3 since about March, and the price is reasonable IMO. Just won't sell.

-- Joe
You seem to really enjoy trolling this thread We get the point, you hate C4's, you were thrilled with this video.

It doesn't matter what kind of car it is. If it was still running and in good use SOMEONE would have wanted it. Government mandated destruction of any car Vette or otherwise is just stupid. Environazi's should be up in arms. That could have been someones dream car. That could have went to auction. Could have went to charity. Many other options for all these cars.

Quick Reply: Video of a "Cash for Clunker" C4 destory