trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here...... Here...... Brother!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Partial Quote: I have tried every Fix known to Man to remedy this VATS Issue!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++

What you didn't do when it wouldn't crank is to follow power from the battery through the VATS system all the way to the starter solenoid and somewhere in that path you would have had to find out why the starter solenoid didn't get 12v when the ign sw was in crank position! Replacing parts one by one didn't fix your problem because they weren't defective. On my 87, power comes from the battery to a jump start terminal to a fuseable link through the firewall connector to a wiring harness splice to the ignition sw socket to another splice to the start enable relay socket to the clutch safety switch socket to a wiring harness splice back through the firewall connector and to the starter solenoid. A grounded 12v lamp could have tested each one of these points to determine where you stopped getting 12v going to the starter relay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can bypass VATS, its an easy fix, as easy as, but more expensive than using a 12v lamp to find out where the defect is. What always gives me a chuckle is what are you going to do if after installing the bypass it stops working in the future? That has happened here.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:31 AM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I fixed mine really easy, I had a new ignition key made for mine. I didn't worry about the chip since I was eliminating the vats so it cost me two bucks. Then I took a cut off wheel and cut my origional ignition key just above and below the resistor in the key so i basically just had a tiny little resistor. Then i soldered the vats wires to either side of the key, made sure i couldn't pull them off and taped it up under the dash. It has been like that for over a year now with no problems.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:50 AM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C41987
.....I clean my key, after I waited 1 hour and it started. .....
1)....cleaning the key can help,,,some salty sweat buildup screws up the resistance value....just wiping the surface with clean dry cloth might do the trick

2) You only need to wait a little over 3 minutes for the system to reset before you try again

3)Also if you try to start it before the VATS resets, the time starts all over again.....so for example if you try to start it every two minutes after a problem it will NEVER start even if you have corrected the problem by for example cleaning off the key..

Voice of experience...two times, both times cleaning key and waiting 5 minutes worked

Last edited by LT4BUD; 08-28-2009 at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OldSchool6 (08-24-2017)
Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM
darkstallion_69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i originally bought my 94 vette a year ago a week after buying it I went to start it and it refused. It started 15 mins later and never did it again for 8 months until recently. Now it doesnt start every ******* day. And every single time it starts after 5 mins. I have noticed though that one side of my key the metal contact that comes out is almost smooth while the other side is not. I Might buy a new key or just do the vats bypass.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 PM
erikv79
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  adam_sandler_kathy_bates_the_waterb.jpg
Views: 2882
Size:  20.4 KB
Old 03-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Millah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bump start mine when the VATS system shuts it down. Good thing I have a stick. But it is embarrising sometimes. Think I will try and get another key made before I look at bypassing VATS. But that will be the next step if the new key dont work.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:45 PM
DWC4
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Patience is a virtue, VATS is the devil - check

Two good lessons duly noted. I have a spare good key, guess I'll keep it handy as well. Lots of great info in this thread from everyone, thanks.

Originally Posted by LT4BUD
1)....cleaning the key can help,,,some salty sweat buildup screws up the resistance value....just wiping the surface with clean dry cloth might do the trick
2) You only need to wait a little over 3 minutes for the system to reset before you try again
3)Also if you try to start it before the VATS resets, the time starts all over again.....so for example if you try to start it every two minutes after a problem it will NEVER start even if you have corrected the problem by for example cleaning off the key..
Voice of experience...two times, both times cleaning key and waiting 5 minutes worked
Old 09-18-2011, 10:59 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4BUD

Mine is just starting to have trouble and 3-4 minutes is all you have to wait till it starts. I have a couple extra keys, one that's never been used so I'll switch to that and see if it helps.

P.S. OK, just looked at the old key and half the little silver chip can't be seen on either side of the key. Dirt, worn off, can't tell. Looked at the key I've never used and there's 3 times as much silver "chip" length on it. Hopefully, using the new key I won't have any more problems. I did try it momentarily in the garage and it started right up.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09-18-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:02 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Millah
I just bump start mine when the VATS system shuts it down. Good thing I have a stick. Think I will try and get another key made before I look at bypassing VATS. .
As a footnote.
if you can bump start the car ( or jump the starter terminals ) then problem is with the starter enable relay side of VATS only.
If the key wasn't being read correctly then VATS would not allow the injectors to fire so you could push car as long as you like and it would still not fire up.
A new key would change nothing
Bypassing the relay will solve this particular problem while still keeping the fuel shutoff component active for theft protection

Last edited by rodj; 09-18-2011 at 07:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dave willis (05-26-2022)

Quick Reply: VATS Bypass Kit?