Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help! Original Top Color? Beige or Driftwood?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:35 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help! Original Top Color? Beige or Driftwood?

I have the origianl window sticker which lists the top as beige. The color that is on it now is the Stayfast driftwood color. The stayfast beige has more of a brownish tint where as the driftwood is lighter. I matched the current top to the Stayfast samples as being driftwood. The top on it now is not the original however. It may be the right color though, not sure.

I was told Stayfast was the original manufacturer of the material. Stayfast is owned by Haartz. Haartz has several different models on their website confusing the issue even more. They only make the material not the tops. I called them and they werent much help. Anyone know who was the original top manufacturer? Anyone know what stayfast now calls the color that the top was original produced in??

My upholstry shop deals with a few top manufacturers. Probably the same ones the catalogs order from. Keep Auto Top, E-Z On Auto Tops, Robins, Electron, etc.. I think there are only about four of them. Are any of these the original top manufacturers? I called E-Z and their books are showing the stayfast driftwood 2024 as being the original color. I believe EZ-On is the company that makes tops for MidAmerica. Which makes sense if thats where I ordered my last one from and it's the stayfast driftwood color. I called Kee Auto Tops and they are saying stayfast beige is the origianl color and driftwood is no longer being made. Robins said beige but then driftwood may be correct. Thanks for the help. I really need to get this ordered today.

Here's a pic of the current top -driftwood. I can't remember where I ordered this from. I may have gotten it from MidAmerica. They are calling their original replacement top beige. Even though this one matches the stayfast driftwood.

Does this look like the color of the other original polo's you've seen?

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 10-12-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:43 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

I can''t believe no one has run into these issues before. I guess people arent into correctly restoring C4's yet. Neither am I to be honest. I just figured since it's getting changed anyway why not get the correct color top. This needs to get ordered today so I'm going to go with the Driftwood top.

Thanks anyways.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Can you hold the order for a bit? I copied this and sent it to someone who actually worked there during this time frame. He should get back to me after he searches his memory bank or even his notes.
I will post up the answer as soon as I hear from him.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:26 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've attached a couple pics of my old Polo Green 92 with the Beige top. Not sure if the color representation is all that correct as the pics show that it was sort of cloudy when I took the pics.

FWIW, the RPO code for the top color is 68T and is simply defined as Beige in my build sheet. IIRC, 92 was the first year for the beige top color as earlier tops on Polo Green I cars were "Saddle" and more towards a brown than beige or light tan. When Polo Green Metallic II came out, the tops were the lighter beige.

As far as what company made the tops for Corvette back in 92, I'm sure that Gordon Killebrew would know that. If anyone knows anything about C4's it's him.

Chances are that Stayfast simply calls their beige color "Driftwood" rather than trying to give the same color different names. Is there any way you can ask for a sample swatch of that color??
Attached Images   
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

some pics of mine too
Old 10-13-2009, 07:49 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

OK, I was able to e-mail Gordon Killebrew. He said the color was beige and that American Sunroof Company did all the convertible tops until the end of the 1996 model year. He is not sure if they are still located in Bowling Green or not as they may have moved.
I signed up for his new service at www.corvettetroubleshooting.com
so I was able to tap into his wealth of knowledge.
I would advise anyone interested in 1963 to current Corvettes to sign up as soon as possible. You will then be notified of when they go live with online advice and how-to's. I have a bit of an inside track right now so was able to get a response in about 24 hours.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
OK, I was able to e-mail Gordon Killebrew. He said the color was beige and that American Sunroof Company did all the convertible tops until the end of the 1996 model year. He is not sure if they are still located in Bowling Green or not as they may have moved.
I would advise anyone interested in 1963 to current Corvettes to sign up as soon as possible. You will then be notified of when they go live with online advice and how-to's. I have a bit of an inside track right now so was able to get a response in about 24 hours.
Very interesting! I knew that ASC made the C4 convertible hardtops (RPO CC2) and those were individually fitted to each car at the ASC facility in Bowling Green. New 'verts were delivered there where the tops were fitted and the cars were returned to the Assembly Plant for final finishing and shipping.

Here's some interesting reading about ASC. The article doesn't say if there is still a facility in BG but it does mention that they made convertible tops for Corvette starting in 1986 when the C4 'verts came out.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 PM
olcrusty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the original top on my 1994 I just sold.

Olcrusty
Old 10-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 972 Likes on 457 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Does not matter since the bottom half of the car is still green...LOL.....J/K...
Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
I'm going to call my upholstry guy today to see if he placed the order yet. If so it's probably too late. The driftwood color is very close to the other pictures of cars I'm seeing. When you compare it to the beige in the sample book it is very different though. Maybe I should have looked at the book out in the sunlight. Thanks for doing this research for me I appreciate it. I'm going to check out that new website. Also thanks to everyone else for the pictures and info.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Original Top Color? Beige or Driftwood?

Quick Reply: Help! Original Top Color? Beige or Driftwood?