Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

how to change brake booster (92-95) with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:08 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Old 01-23-2010, 09:41 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write-up!!! you make it look sooo easy!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:46 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Terrific article, littlesk8cracker.

Three thoughts while following your suggestions as I replaced my booster. First, replacing my booster, an unplanned fix, followed just finishing replacing my Opti, water pump, spark plug wires and valve cover gaskets, a planned one, so when I needed more room to remove the booster but didn't want to remove the master cylinder, I removed the three bolts attaching the ASR and that gave me plenty of room to move the master cylinder out of the way.

Second, I spent literally hours trying unsuccessfully to get the new booster's mounting bolts through the firewall until I noticed the aluminum bracket on the inside of the firewall had slipped about 1/4" down thus blocking any bolt. I already had the booster pushrod attached to the brake pedal so I pushed up the aluminum bracket and the bolts came on through easily.

Third, I dropped one of the two M8x125 self-locking flange nuts my old booster was attached with and found not even the two specialty bolt suppliers in town had such a thing. So I did another l-o-n-g search and found the one I dropped. The nuts for the the master cylinder are also M8x125 self-locking nuts but not flanged.

Again, thanks for all the work on the article.

John
Old 04-02-2010, 11:01 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

austinjohn, appreciate the input. good to know about the asr thing because removing the master was a PITA. also, i know what you mean about the aluminum piece on the firewall, i had to push mine up too
Old 07-27-2010, 04:25 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good write up. Just noticed on my 89 after I started the car and pushed the brake pedal. Got a loud Woooooosh noise while holding the brake pedal. And of course the brakes sucked, but the pedal had always been firm anyways. And after shutting the car down. Only was able to press the brake pedal 1/4 of the way before getting an immediate hard brake pedal.

I assume this is probably about the same on an 89. I believe you don't actually have to remove the master cyclinder, but can just pull it out of the way?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:56 AM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Good write up. Just noticed on my 89 after I started the car and pushed the brake pedal. Got a loud Woooooosh noise while holding the brake pedal. And of course the brakes sucked, but the pedal had always been firm anyways. And after shutting the car down. Only was able to press the brake pedal 1/4 of the way before getting an immediate hard brake pedal.

I assume this is probably about the same on an 89. I believe you don't actually have to remove the master cyclinder, but can just pull it out of the way?
some people have had luck just pulling it away, others say they had to remove it. in my case, the booster was absolutely not coming out with the master in the way so i had to remove mine. wasnt hard to do and gave me reassurance when i washed the huge amounts of crap outta the resevoir
Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you, littlesk8cracker for taking the time to take pictures and do the write up!!!

This Forum needs more members like you!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Somebody should sticky this in the tech stickies- nice job!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by littlesk8cracker
some people have had luck just pulling it away, others say they had to remove it. in my case, the booster was absolutely not coming out with the master in the way so i had to remove mine. wasnt hard to do and gave me reassurance when i washed the huge amounts of crap outta the resevoir
What brand booster did you use? I'm looking at the reman Cardone as it is $100 vs. $400+ for AC Delco.

I'll try to just push the master out of the way as I just got done flushing the brake fluid.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Cool

Did you change the master seals at all?

The one separating the two circuits has a tendency to go.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,507 Likes on 861 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by Nick DL
Great write up. I love write ups with pictures.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

not sure what brand i used but it was like $105 so it may have been a cardone or some other cheap brand. been 7 or 8 months so far and no complaints
Old 08-16-2010, 01:13 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

How are you guys adjusting that screw on the booster? Mine is shorter than the screw that was on the OEM booster. I tried using pliers to hold that one piece and tried turning the screw with my socket and ratchet, but the whole thing kept turning. There isn't alot of room to get something in there to hold that piece and get a socket or wrench on that screw. I also tried using vice grips, but not alot of room.

It looks like you have to use some special wrench or something to hold that piece and still have room to get a socket on the screw.

I also found a few days later the Master Cylinder is leaking on the booster, before it was dry. So, I guess I'll do that next.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:10 AM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
How are you guys adjusting that screw on the booster? Mine is shorter than the screw that was on the OEM booster. I tried using pliers to hold that one piece and tried turning the screw with my socket and ratchet, but the whole thing kept turning. There isn't alot of room to get something in there to hold that piece and get a socket or wrench on that screw. I also tried using vice grips, but not alot of room.

It looks like you have to use some special wrench or something to hold that piece and still have room to get a socket on the screw.
I didn't adjust mine and it seems to work fine.

John
Old 08-16-2010, 06:20 AM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Originally Posted by AustinJohn

John
neither did i. i didnt even know they could be adjusted?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AustinJohn

John
Mine works fine too. But I can tell it has increased pedal travel compared to before. You have to press it a ways before the brakes start being applied. I think you just want a slight gap between the master and booster rod. I figured I'd at least turn the screw out some, but couldn't get a good hold on that rod and still being able to get a socket to the screw.

I believe I have read it is possible for the booster to be damaged with the screw being too short.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:35 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
St. Jude Donor '10

Looks like I have to do some work on my `90. I change the fluid in my reservoirs last weekend. All I did was suck out the old stuff & refill with DOT4 synthetic. I did not drive the car all week as I had to work. I went out to drive it this last weekend, started the car up & the pedal is hard as a brick. It does not make any noise its just rock hard. I`m going to try bleeding the system & see if that helps. When I step on the brake with the covers off the reservoirs, only the front one shows any movement of fluid. I don`t know if this is normal. I find it hard to believe that just changing the fluid could blow the booster, but when I disconnect the vacuum line, the check valve is fine but there is nothing in the booster eg. no leaking sounds, no whoosh, nothing- just a rock hard pedal with or without the vacuum line hooked up. crap!

Get notified of new replies

To how to change brake booster (92-95) with pics

Old 08-21-2011, 07:26 PM
jsims002
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I installed a new (to me) brake booster using the write up in this thread. Awesome help, I went step by step including removing the seat. I must say, I'm not as nimble as I use to be, so getting in and out of there was getting to be a PITA. I didn't remove my M/C though, I pulled it out of the way and wiggled the booster out. Funny thing is putting the new one in was WAY easier than pulling the old one out. A+ on the write up, I hope the OP never removes the photos from the stored location.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:53 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jsims002
I installed a new (to me) brake booster using the write up in this thread. Awesome help, I went step by step including removing the seat. I must say, I'm not as nimble as I use to be, so getting in and out of there was getting to be a PITA. I didn't remove my M/C though, I pulled it out of the way and wiggled the booster out. Funny thing is putting the new one in was WAY easier than pulling the old one out. A+ on the write up, I hope the OP never removes the photos from the stored location.
I didn't remove the seat but as I was lying there on my back with my feet over the headrest (and hopefully every tool I needed, a couple of LED flashlights and my cell - just in case) I briefly thought "If I have to call Therese and she calls EMS, I'm sure the story will be circulating nationwide within the EMS in less than five minutes".

John
Old 08-22-2011, 12:27 AM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Originally Posted by jsims002
theyre uploaded on photobucket so as long as that site never goes away the pictures should stay glad everybody has had success with this. also checkout my similair write up on changing the clutch hydraulics on the zf6! coming up ill be taking the intake off to fix a small leak at the back of the manifold, maybe it could be another write up for me

Quick Reply: how to change brake booster (92-95) with pics