Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

how to change brake booster (92-95) with pics

Old 07-16-2017, 11:22 PM
Merlin49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAKE BOOSTER, not all C4s are the same

Special thanks for ATGORDON for giving me just courage to attempt the booster replacement.
I found that on my 1990 apparently the mechanical spacing's are slightly different. I DID have to remove the cross brace to get my booster out. I also had to remove the seat and unbolt and lower my steering column to be able to reach all the under dash nuts and clips from kneeling on the floor next to the car.
And yes, I had the same problem with the pedal mounting bracket dropping down in the way, just to make reinsertion of the mounting studs very difficult. The slipped bracket turned out to be my biggest problem, and it took me almost 2-hours and a LOT of prying, plus the help of a friend to get it back up enough to get booster studs inserted.
AND thanks for the tip about using the tape in the socket to hold the nuts. That worked very well as I wrenched it all back together. Job is now done and it took me a total of about 4-hours and the help of another person. Thanks for the incite and the video.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:20 AM
Klondike
CF Senior Member

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by littlesk8cracker View Post
Haha it's awesome to see this thread is still around!
Helping people "do it right" never gets old!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:53 PM
Gmatech

Thanks for this, saved my day. Been wrenching at Chevy since 2000. Never done one and still beat the book time. I hate getting in them cars right side up... fat guy stuffed in head first must have looked pretty funny. If the lines aren't rusty don't be afraid to gently customize them. There's no reason you HAVE to take the master cylinder out. No time for that or the seat in the flat rate.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:45 PM
SnorT91Man
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reply

Here it is ten years after you wrote your article and people like me are still learning from it. Great job, man, and keep up the good work! Until I saw your pic of the retaining clip I couldn't figure out exactly how it was supposed to come off.

Out of curiousity, are you still working on cars? A C4 isn't exactly the easiest vehicle to develop your skills on!

SnorT91Man
Old 04-23-2019, 05:03 PM
jwardg

Great write and pics, very helpful.
Hey John, any tips you can give me on how to get the new booster bolts inserted past the metal plate thats blocking the hole openings from the inside?.
Ive been trying for a couple of days to get the new booster inserted through the firewall, but that plate is ruining my day(s)..

Would appreciate your sharing any tips or wisdom!

Thanks,

jw
Old 05-07-2019, 02:58 PM
lt4red
CF Senior Member

Wanted to see if anyone has a source for a new or reman-ed booster? Not finding anything from the part stores. One on amazon for 300$, but I'll buy junkyard before I pay for that.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:10 PM
belairbrian
CF Senior Member

Received 187 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4red View Post
Wanted to see if anyone has a source for a new or reman-ed booster? Not finding anything from the part stores. One on amazon for 300$, but I'll buy junkyard before I pay for that.
Guessing your looking for a 96. If so rock auto has the ACDelco 14PB4300 For around $170. It 's what I used on my 92 two years ago and have had no issues since. There is a core charge. When I bought mine AC Delco had a $40 rebate so I ended up spending about $120 after returning the core and getting the rebate.

But I would never replace a failed brake part with a possibly 25 year old part from a junk yard. Just not worth the risk to me. Add how fun these are to change and used makes even less sense..
Old 05-07-2019, 03:23 PM
lt4red
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by belairbrian View Post
Guessing your looking for a 96. If so rock auto has the ACDelco 14PB4300 For around $170. It 's what I used on my 92 two years ago and have had no issues since. There is a core charge. When I bought mine AC Delco had a $40 rebate so I ended up spending about $120 after returning the core and getting the rebate.

But I would never replace a failed brake part with a possibly 25 year old part from a junk yard. Just not worth the risk to me. Add how fun these are to change and used makes even less sense..
Yes, for a 96. That part number is out of stock on rock auto and everywhere else i checked. Rockauto had the option for some rebuild service where you ship yours out to them.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:50 PM
vette196
CF Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

don't ask Johno504
Old 05-07-2019, 09:00 PM
lt4red
CF Senior Member

I have tried Rockauto, Oreiley, Autozone, Advance, Napa and Scoggin Dickey, show it available, but try to order it and "nope" order cancelled.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to change brake booster (92-95) with pics

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: