c5 steering wheel on c4 ?!?!?!? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

c5 steering wheel on c4 ?!?!?!?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Mrmatt2009
CF Senior Member

Default c5 steering wheel on c4 ?!?!?!?

I hate the looks of the steering wheel on my 95 but, I wish to keep somethign with an air bag. I know they make after market wheels but i havnt been able to find one with an air bag. I was wondering if it is posible to somehow install a c5 or c6 steering wheel on my 95? or does anyone know of a wheel that looks nice with an air bag?

Thanks in advance -Matt
Old 10-26-2009, 03:36 PM
kimmer
CF Senior Member

C4 of the Year Finalist

If you get ride of your column Ill take it.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Aurora40
CF Senior Member

The '90-93(?) steering wheel is, in my opinion, much better looking. I'd have to think that would be an easier swap.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
speedoholic
CF Senior Member

The 90-93 steering wheel will not fit the 94-96 column. I had the change the steering column in my 91. I cant remember witch one it is, But one of them have a longer column with a shorter steering wheel. and the other has a shorter column and long steering wheel.

If you change the steering wheels one will bottom out on the sleeve of the column and the other will have a gap. I found all of this out when I changed the column in my 91. I bought a 96 column with no steering wheel and put it in the car, and my 91 steering wheel did not fit. I had to buy a steering wheel from a 94-96.

But agree with you. the 94-96 steering wheel is ugly. It looks like a pontiac grand am steering wheel, I have wondered about the C5 wheel as well. If you find out let me know!

EDIT: here are pictures i found on ebay of the 94-96 steering wheel and the C5 steering wheel. based on the pictures I don't think they could be swaped easy.

C4 94-96

C5

Last edited by speedoholic; 10-26-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Mrmatt2009
CF Senior Member

Thanks for info so far guys!

still looking for more feed back please!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Vintagevetter
CF Senior Member

Default Change out the insturment panel too

I also feel that the steering wheel in my 94 couple is UGLY. Looks like it belongs in grandma's Buick, not in a Corvette. I would be curious to know if the C6 /Z06 steering wheels would fit a 94?

While we are on the subject of changing things...how about getting rid of the juke box instrument panel in the late C4's...and put in some honest analog gages??? I wish someone would offer a plug & play panel replacement for the C4, using C6 gages
Old 10-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Mrmatt2009
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vintagevetter View Post
I also feel that the steering wheel in my 94 couple is UGLY. Looks like it belongs in grandma's Buick, not in a Corvette. I would be curious to know if the C6 /Z06 steering wheels would fit a 94?

While we are on the subject of changing things...how about getting rid of the juke box instrument panel in the late C4's...and put in some honest analog gages??? I wish someone would offer a plug & play panel replacement for the C4, using C6 gages

AGREEED fully! that too would bea great change
Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 AM
speedoholic
CF Senior Member

Agreed!

Ive been looking the last few months at wiring diagrams, trying to decide If I could swap the 94-96 digital AC/Heat controls out for the C5 digital unit.

I would give anything to get rid of all the orange lights all over the dash, console and door panels. I don't know why GM loved gray and orange so much. red,blue,green,white, in color would be better then orange (besides pink or purple that would be kinda gay)

I thought the steering wheel thing was just me. Ive got a few bucks still in paypal. I will keep my eye open and if I find a cheap C5 steering wheel I will pick it up. I should post a wanted ad in the C5 section. Buy a damaged steering wheel frame from a C5. Get one real cheap that is bent or bad leather just to see if it will fit.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:36 AM
5abivt
CF Senior Member

I threw on a Momo wheel with a quick release. the hell with the airbag. I also agree the 94-6 steering wheel is one of the ugliest on the planet. And what's wrong with orange lights? it's been proven time and again to be the best color for the eyes. BMWs have been orange for decades.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Mrmatt2009
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by speedoholic View Post
Agreed!

Ive been looking the last few months at wiring diagrams, trying to decide If I could swap the 94-96 digital AC/Heat controls out for the C5 digital unit.

I would give anything to get rid of all the orange lights all over the dash, console and door panels. I don't know why GM loved gray and orange so much. red,blue,green,white, in color would be better then orange (besides pink or purple that would be kinda gay)

I thought the steering wheel thing was just me. Ive got a few bucks still in paypal. I will keep my eye open and if I find a cheap C5 steering wheel I will pick it up. I should post a wanted ad in the C5 section. Buy a damaged steering wheel frame from a C5. Get one real cheap that is bent or bad leather just to see if it will fit.
Its like you read my mind! let me know things go and if u need help with anything let me know!
Old 09-06-2016, 07:46 PM
Scout5.7
CF Member

Soooooo......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c5 steering wheel on c4 ?!?!?!?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: