C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

driving new car across country

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Adam013085
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving new car across country

So for those of you who have bought a car from either an individual or dealer and drove it home across the country how did you go about getting plates and insurance? I know if you buy a dealer they can give you something I am sure but what if you buy from an individual? I was just thinking about this earlier today and couldnt come up with a way to do it.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam013085
So for those of you who have bought a car from either an individual or dealer and drove it home across the country how did you go about getting plates and insurance? I know if you buy a dealer they can give you something I am sure but what if you buy from an individual? I was just thinking about this earlier today and couldnt come up with a way to do it.
In Co. you can go to the nearest county clerk and they will issue you a temporary plate based on a bill of sale. Also, most auto insurance policies grant you 48 hours (I think that's the number) of automatic converage for a new car as long as you have an existing policy. Call you agent and check.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I called my State Farm agent, gave him the VIN, and stopped by and picked up an insurance card for the trip home. The last car I bought was from a private party and he left the California plates on for me and I drove it home on those. Most states will issue a temp plate for transit.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Adam013085
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to know. thanks guys. i thought thats how the insurance worked but was not sure about the tags.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Most states will issue a temp plate for transit.
I flew to Michigan to buy my ZR1, Michigan DMV gave me a temp tag
Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,510 Likes on 864 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by Adam013085
I bought mine at the dealer and they gave me the Temp Reg that I took with me to the National Corvette Museum. My Guide at the Museum put the Reg in the proper place for California, which is the lower passenger side of the windshield.

The next day, some Bowling Green nimrod and his trainee pulled me over for improper registration. Supposedly in Kentucky the paper reg should be placed in the back window. I looked at him and his trainee and then back to my vert with the top down.

I told him the car was registered in California and was in the proper place. He insisted that it belonged in the back window. I asked him if he had ever heard of reciprocity, that one state recognized the vehicle code laws of another state. He said that I needed to have the temp in the rear window. I again looked at my vert with the top down and asked him how he was going to see it with the top down. Feeling I was about to talk myself into a ticket, I changed the location of the temp.

I then went back to the Museum and asked the Director of Deliveries, “What gives?” He called a Major in the Police; we do not have Majors out here, and had a most interesting conversation. I do not think anyone else will have the same problem again.

After all this, it was necessary to stop at the Jack Daniel’s Distillery on the way home to help settle my nerves.

My insurance company covers any newly acquired vehicle for 30 days.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:28 PM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

Called my insurance agent with VIN and details, picked up Ins. Card. Got car from Georgia, they gave a temp plate.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:59 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you do the transaction where you can get to a fax machine, most insurancies can fax a cerd. Or you you have online access to your insurance company, they should be able to send an email with a file of an insurance car you can print.

As far as the plates, if a private party seller is not required to return the plated to his DMV, all you really need is a signed copy of a Bill of Sale that has a vehicle description, name and address of both the buyer and seller, the VIN and plate number. You will also need the current registration that matches the plates. Then drive so that you don't get stopped.

Some states require that their plates be removed immediately. So check with your state's DMV to see if they will issue a temp tag or some sort of trip permit. In WA for example, the only way to get a temp tag is to register the vehicle. That means you have to pay the excise tax, sales tax and other fees. And you have to provide a Bill of Sale and the old title. You get a paper tag, but it's actually a copy of a request for a Certificate of Title and the plates are mailed later.

We have trip permits but they are only for 3 days and no good outside the state.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:45 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I am picking up a 91 in North Carolina in about a month. I got hold of Adam Boca at the National Corvette Museum and got an insurance policy through the museum. Very interesting that for only another $75/year I am able to drive the Vette to work a couple of times a week.
I will be driving from Goldsboro, NC to the Grand Rapids, MI area the 2nd weekend in December and I pray that is does not snow! Should be OK as we don't usually get too much until around Christmas.
I plan to pick up a temporary tag in Michigan before I fly down.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:36 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

In Florida, when you purchase a car, the process starts with paying the tax, transfer of title and a temporary 30 day plate (until the permanent one arrives). Insurance is done on the phone at the time of purchase.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:43 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Jockey
I bought mine at the dealer and they gave me the Temp Reg that I took with me to the National Corvette Museum. My Guide at the Museum put the Reg in the proper place for California, which is the lower passenger side of the windshield.

The next day, some Bowling Green nimrod and his trainee pulled me over for improper registration. Supposedly in Kentucky the paper reg should be placed in the back window. I looked at him and his trainee and then back to my vert with the top down.

I told him the car was registered in California and was in the proper place. He insisted that it belonged in the back window. I asked him if he had ever heard of reciprocity, that one state recognized the vehicle code laws of another state. He said that I needed to have the temp in the rear window. I again looked at my vert with the top down and asked him how he was going to see it with the top down. Feeling I was about to talk myself into a ticket, I changed the location of the temp.

I then went back to the Museum and asked the Director of Deliveries, “What gives?” He called a Major in the Police; we do not have Majors out here, and had a most interesting conversation. I do not think anyone else will have the same problem again.

After all this, it was necessary to stop at the Jack Daniel’s Distillery on the way home to help settle my nerves.

My insurance company covers any newly acquired vehicle for 30 days.

VETTE JOCKEY, THANKS FOR A GREAT STORY!!!

GLAD YOU GOT IT WORKED OUT!

Get notified of new replies

To driving new car across country

Quick Reply: driving new car across country