Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is better for my 1988 5.7 supercharger or twin turbos

yes twin turbos

Last edited by wildfangew; 11-14-2009 at 05:46 AM. Reason: doble question
Old 11-14-2009, 12:20 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

more than likely an S/C kit can be built to work with your stock motor. I think to get the full value and potential out of TT's you will have to have the motor work over, but in the long run you would get tons more power from the TT setup.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:40 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no turbo kits available. superchargers have been done a dozen times.

How much of a headache to you want?

once you've taken a rational approach, call Greg at www.blowerworks.net

Otherwise, I am a huge fan of turbos....
Old 11-14-2009, 02:35 PM
larry00
Race Director

Yep depends on how far you want to go ! The guys doing C 4 Turbo kits haven't come through cause there is little interest in old cars .

A couple of the SC people have a sweet kit and if your engine is in good shape it will hold 8 lb's boost without pushing out the head gaskets or damaging the bottom end.

Can't say the same about your tune and fuel curve.

You just want to play occasionally E Bay sometimes has small direct shot systems for nitrous .
Same thing there you have to limit it too because if you can't increase fuel when spraying you risk melting pistons.

There are a lot of guys on here that do it all just go over to C 4 forced induction and they are there !
Old 11-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Vette Fast
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1

Otherwise, I am a huge fan of turbos....
Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 AM
wildfangew
Navigator

Default Chevrolet corvette sbc 350 twin turbo kit 26 700+ hp

[QUOTE=mnstrlt1;1572132807]no turbo kits available. superchargers have been done a dozen times.

Otherwise, I am a huge fan of turbos....[/QUOTE

CHEVROLET CORVETTE SBC 350 TWIN TURBO KIT 26 700+ HP found it on e bay the kit looks awsome look it up and tell me what you think

thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=wildfangew;1572177504]
Originally Posted by mnstrlt1

Otherwise, I am a huge fan of turbos....[/QUOTE

CHEVROLET CORVETTE SBC 350 TWIN TURBO KIT 26 700+ HP found it on e bay the kit looks awsome look it up and tell me what you think

thanks
i'll be honest with you, ebay is NOT the most ideal place to look for a turbo kit. the only time I'd consider it is *if* the kit is from a reputable vendor with name brand turbochargers... otherwise FORGET IT!

you're going to end up with junk. Research the turbo that you want to run (based on engine and goals) and search for that specific.

Take a close look at turbo kits that have been offered for these cars... CAST IRON manifolds, garrett turbochargers, heavy duty intercoolers, all the hardware, fuel managment etcs...

Stainless steel tubular manifolds are nice, but it takes thick wall tubing and the correct heat (and spool) to weld stainless steel CORRECTLY. Typically, these generic kits don't address these details..

If you're still committed to going turbo, kind a solid fabricator/builder and have them do the job (i.e. chris "lcvette" here on the forum).
Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 AM
olcrusty
Pro

I just fired off a letter to Raptor questioning the availability of rear twin turbos for my CE. Me thinks it would be a great winter update as the car is just sitting here under wraps during the cold spell(winter). There are some references to rear twins on the internet and they are awesome. I don't race but I want something different, nasty and a head turner. Any constructive feed back from the group would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Al
Old 11-21-2009, 12:34 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by olcrusty
I just fired off a letter to Raptor questioning the availability of rear twin turbos for my CE. Me thinks it would be a great winter update as the car is just sitting here under wraps during the cold spell(winter). There are some references to rear twins on the internet and they are awesome. I don't race but I want something different, nasty and a head turner. Any constructive feed back from the group would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Al
Rear-mount turbos are definitely catching on! They install easy, they don't cluter the engine bay, and they can be done in a DIY manor for EVERY little money!

I think I would have possibly considering going with a rear-mount turbo BEFORE I purchased my supercharger only because the guy I had do some work on my c4 (at the time) was also a local STS distributor (BTW, this guy was TERRIBLE! I will NEVER take a car back to him, and I feel like I got burned...).

The only things that concern me with rear-mount turbos is...

the size of the turbo
the amount of tubing
it's away from the heat source (needs heat, not just flow)

some other's will hopefully chime in....

It seems that it's really caught on with nearly EVERY other sports car (including the newer c5/6 platforms, f-body's, etc).

The nice part is that as long as you get a truely educated person that knows their turbo's, you can just get nearly any welder (exhaust shop, etc) to weld up the needed flange, merge, and re-routing of the intake side of the turbo.

You will need to source an oiling system, and I'd still recommend a tune.

one of the only reasons why Raptor has seemed appealing is that their kit was suppose to be smog-legal. I don't believe the kit is out yet. unless you've got a really maticulous emissions station, I seriously doubt they'd even notice the turbo under the car, and it can certainly be tuned to behave like stock (pass emissions).
Old 11-21-2009, 01:21 AM
olcrusty
Pro

Thanks mnstrlt1 for the comeback and great comments. I think I will start a new thread as I have additional info pertinent to my current turbo activities and I do not wish to disrupt this thread. Thank you.

Al
Old 11-21-2009, 11:50 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by olcrusty
Thanks mnstrlt1 for the comeback and great comments. I think I will start a new thread as I have additional info pertinent to my current turbo activities and I do not wish to disrupt this thread. Thank you.

Al
Al-

No problem, hope the information helped. I do believe your CE (the red one, which is REALLY nice) is the LT4.... you're compression is a bit higher than the LT1's. So (clearly) you'll have to be much more cautious about the amount of boost. I wouldn't run a convensional intercooler only because you've got a relatively long intake track from the turbo to the TB. Instead, get a hold of Greg at blowerworks.net, he's got a really nice (affordable, compact) meth injection type intercooler. If you're willing to go the extra mile, I'd drop a cam into it and get it tuned accordingly.

Get notified of new replies

To what is better for my 1988 5.7 supercharger or twin turbos

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is better for my 1988 5.7 supercharger or twin turbos