C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Replacing Seat Covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Dahmonkee
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Seat Covers

Has anyone replaced their own leather seat covers on a 1996 that is standard style,not sport a seat? The seat bottoms appear to be the lesser of two evils. The seat backs are really what I need info on. I know some will say to take them to a Pro, but It's a long winter and I have the time.
Dano
Old 12-11-2009, 12:45 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Dahmonkee
Has anyone replaced their own leather seat covers on a 1996 that is standard style,not sport a seat? The seat bottoms appear to be the lesser of two evils. The seat backs are really what I need info on. I know some will say to take them to a Pro, but It's a long winter and I have the time.
Dano
Being short of money at the time, I went for the "Iggee's". One of the better decisions made in the last 6 to 7 years. Wear well, fit great, real good price (under $200.00). Go to their web site and take a look.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:00 AM
mszietlow
Intermediate

Bump...

The IGGEE's look alright but for the sake of 'doing it right', I'd like to hear about how others have gone about beautifying their worn seats!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:47 AM
megtom2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-...Q5fAccessories
and installed them a little over a month ago. The installation is pretty straight forward. Just pay attention when you are taking off the old cover as to where the hog rings are attached. For both front seats it took about 4 hours and 4 beers. I held off for the first three to make sure my head was clear during most of it. lol
Old 12-13-2009, 08:07 AM
motorjunkie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have done many upholstery jobs on my cars over the years. The 1 thing I will say is, spend the extra 15.00 and buy a nice pair of hog ring pliers. You will have much better results! Also, if you have damaged underwires, you can replace them with wire coat hanger. It works great!

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 PM
the aeronut
Instructor

Hey megtom2,
I went to the link you provided and the ad is for simulated leather. Are yours sim. or real leather, which ever they look good. Also, was the C4 embroidery on the headrest at extra cost?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by megtom2
I bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-...Q5fAccessories
and installed them a little over a month ago. The installation is pretty straight forward. Just pay attention when you are taking off the old cover as to where the hog rings are attached. For both front seats it took about 4 hours and 4 beers. I held off for the first three to make sure my head was clear during most of it. lol
looks decent actually
Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 PM
megtom2
Racer

Yes they are sim leather but look and feel really nice. They look even better now after sitting on them for a couple of months. The embroidery was $50. I actually got them complete for about $220 using my ebay bucks. They have held up well so far and I wasn't going to pay 15% or up of what I paid for the car on seat covers.
To add along with what was posted before just have some good hog ring pliers (Harbor Freight $4) and a bag of hog rings. Some good wire cutters for the removal helps out also along with a long pair of needle nose pliers to help pull some clips through the cushions.

Last edited by megtom2; 12-13-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:21 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Seats

Originally Posted by megtom2
Yes they are sim leather but look and feel really nice. They look even better now after sitting on them for a couple of months. The embroidery was $50. I actually got them complete for about $220 using my ebay bucks. They have held up well so far and I wasn't going to pay 15% or up of what I paid for the car on seat covers.
To add along with what was posted before just have some good hog ring pliers (Harbor Freight $4) and a bag of hog rings. Some good wire cutters for the removal helps out also along with a long pair of needle nose pliers to help pull some clips through the cushions.
Looks Great! Did you use your original cushions? Any advice on how to make the work turn out like yours?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
megtom2
Racer

Original cushions. After I finished I wished I had bought new ones because the new covers were a little bit loose but as I said before if these cars are not worth anymore than $6k or so I am not going to go overboard for a regular daily driver.
I was completely freaked out before I started from reading the horror stories on this board. Main advice is to take your time and pay attenion to how the hog rings are attached as you snap them to remove the old cover.
Oh, and enjoy a cold one as you do the second one. First probably needs to be done sober. lol

Last edited by megtom2; 12-13-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Seat Covers

Quick Reply: Replacing Seat Covers