traction control question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 PM
RockHeadss
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default traction control question

On my corvette I do not have the option with the Tour /sport / performance mode . I have a switch the I can push on/off for the traction control . With the traction control off what would that be like ? The performance mode or a sport mode ? With the traction control on that should be like the touring mode . Right ?

Thanks
Mark
Old 03-11-2010, 09:59 PM
GreyGhost
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

are you talking about the button above the headlight switch? If so..that just turns off the ASR, which means the back end will step out on you. That is not the same as selective ride control..the FX3.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
RockHeadss
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by GreyGhost
are you talking about the button above the headlight switch? If so..that just turns off the ASR, which means the back end will step out on you. That is not the same as selective ride control..the FX3.
The ASR is traction control with it on it is like a touring mode and with it off performence mode .
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 3 position switch you refer to is for the FX3 suspension, which varies the dampening in the shocks only. FX3 has nothing to do with traction control.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 PM
GreyGhost
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RockHeadss
The ASR is traction control with it on it is like a touring mode and with it off performence mode .
I guess you could look at it that way but the tour/sport/performance mode is the settings of the shocks with the FX3 option.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:19 PM
RockHeadss
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by GreyGhost
I guess you could look at it that way but the tour/sport/performance mode is the settings of the shocks with the FX3 option.
I got it now Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 PM
94Ad Blue
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend going out to a large parking lot, on an early Sunday morning when no one is around... then turn the ASR (traction control) off, and let it rip.... do this a few times until you really understand how your particular car will respond.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by 94Ad Blue
I recommend going out to a large parking lot, on an early Sunday morning when no one is around... then turn the ASR (traction control) off, and let it rip.... do this a few times until you really understand how your particular car will respond.

I don't think that can be stressed enough.
There has been more than one Corvette wrapped around a tree or slammed up against a curb, due to it "getting away" from the driver.

When those rear tires break loose, things can happen very fast.
If your not used to it, the results can be painful.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 AM
RockHeadss
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 94Ad Blue
I did that when I got the vette . I did know that was for the suspension , I was thinking it was for the traction control .
Old 03-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by RockHeadss
I did that when I got the vette . I did know that was for the suspension , I was thinking it was for the traction control .
ASR is the traction control, nothing to do with suspension.
With ASR off, you can drive the car as if it were a more primitive vehicle. In other words, you can drift and do burnouts without the computer interfering.

With ASR on, the computer will cut timing, fuel and some other things to keep the car under better control. That doesn't mean you will never lose control, but it lessens the chance.

The more sophisticated ASR systems will actually apply one or more of the brakes to keep the car straight when needed.

On your '94, you have the first generation ASR. It is not as sophisticated as the updated version for '95/96.

With ASR active, you can actually feel the gas pedal press back against you and you'll usually hear some kind of grinding noise behind you since the EBTCM is located in the compartment behind the drivers seat. That just tells you it's active.

The EBTCM controls the ABS and ASR and nothing to do with shocks and other suspension components.

ASR off or on, the ride will be the same. If you want to slide the rear end around on a turn, turn it off, if you don't leave it on.

Also understand that with ASR on, it may be harder to accelerate quickly since you stand a chance of breaking the tires loose and the ASR will prevent you from doing that.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:35 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That is the wierdest feeling when the gas pedal pushes back!
Old 03-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Riks40th
Drifting

Location: St. Louis, Mo......... 1993 Torch Red w/White Interior...2006-07 Bloomington Gold 2005-ZR1/C4 Gathering, 2001-2012 Funfest
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

...no doubt.

Yeah, what Mr Mojo said....

Rik
Old 03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Lars87
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
ASR is the traction control, nothing to do with suspension.
With ASR off, you can drive the car as if it were a more primitive vehicle. In other words, you can drift and do burnouts without the computer interfering.

With ASR on, the computer will cut timing, fuel and some other things to keep the car under better control. That doesn't mean you will never lose control, but it lessens the chance.

The more sophisticated ASR systems will actually apply one or more of the brakes to keep the car straight when needed.

On your '94, you have the first generation ASR. It is not as sophisticated as the updated version for '95/96.

With ASR active, you can actually feel the gas pedal press back against you and you'll usually hear some kind of grinding noise behind you since the EBTCM is located in the compartment behind the drivers seat. That just tells you it's active.

The EBTCM controls the ABS and ASR and nothing to do with shocks and other suspension components.

ASR off or on, the ride will be the same. If you want to slide the rear end around on a turn, turn it off, if you don't leave it on.

Also understand that with ASR on, it may be harder to accelerate quickly since you stand a chance of breaking the tires loose and the ASR will prevent you from doing that.
Great info.

I was not aware that the was a difference in the ASR system for the later C4 and early ASR equiped cars. Can somebody give more detailed info on this..?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:52 PM
dirtcheap74
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lars87
Great info.

I was not aware that the was a difference in the ASR system for the later C4 and early ASR equiped cars. Can somebody give more detailed info on this..?
I am curious as well since I just bought a 96 LT4.
I was looking around on the internet for the difference between ASR gen 1 and ASR gen 2. I could not find much of anything.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Lars87
Great info.

Originally Posted by dirtcheap74
I am curious as well since I just bought a 96 LT4.
I was looking around on the internet for the difference between ASR gen 1 and ASR gen 2. I could not find much of anything.
I found a book on ebay describibg the EBTCM for the ABS/ASR.

The major differences are the newer one is 16 lbs lighter than the older one.
The older one, you can't turn off(or on) until the car settles down, but with the new one, it's instant off when you press the button.

I'll have to dig the book out again and give it another read.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
I found a book on ebay describibg the EBTCM for the ABS/ASR.

The major differences are the newer one is 16 lbs lighter than the older one.
The older one, you can't turn off(or on) until the car settles down, but with the new one, it's instant off when you press the button.

I'll have to dig the book out again and give it another read.
I'm pretty sure the later ASR does 3 things:
- ignition retard
- throttle back (plus kick back in pedal)
- rear brakes

Personally I don't like it on at all - it's a very primitive system, but quite impressive for its day.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:09 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Get notified of new replies

To traction control question

Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 85vetteguy
That is the wierdest feeling when the gas pedal pushes back!

When I first got my vette I thought it had a broken motor mount or something wrong under hood until I found out it was the ASR kicking in. I still haven't got use to it.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Gary96
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4

I don't think that can be stressed enough.
There has been more than one Corvette wrapped around a tree or slammed up against a curb, due to it "getting away" from the driver.

When those rear tires break loose, things can happen very fast.
If your not used to it, the results can be painful.

The first thing that I always did when I started the Vette was to turn the traction control off. I never liked the feeling of the gas pedal pushing back when the tires would barely spin. I’d had the car for over two years and thought I knew how to control it. Then last December on a cool day I came out of a curve on the gas a little heavy and the back end really got away from me. Things did happen really fast but I was able to get away with some bad scratches on the hood and no other damage. It was a lesson learned with the cost of a new paint job sometime this spring. Now I leave the traction control on.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 PM
KentsOkay
Instructor

Noob question, how do I know if ASR is on or off?

Quick Reply: traction control question