Muscle beats import everytime.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Built muscle always beats built import hands down no questions asked
its so far off its a joke.
Till they can beat the NHRA Dragster's with 500cu american muscle.
all they can say is i get better gas mileage.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I just sold a mitsubishi that handled and accelerated harder than my C4...can't beat the off idle torque though. the vettes go fast without working too hard- the 4 cylinder turbos have to be thrashed within an inch of it's life. The evo would run like that all day though- lots of engine tech and content.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:52 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,797 Likes on 666 Posts

Even out here in the "sticks" I've seen quite a few imports with tons of mods and yes they may be fast or quick...but I still believe they're aren't many cars on the road, percentage-wise, that if in stock form can run with a stock C4, especially the LT1/LT4 platform. For what you'd have to put into the average "ricer" to make it fast you can take that same amount, put it into a C4 and have something truly scarey. A woman I know has a '07 'stang GT with a LOT of mods. I think she paid nearly 40 grand for the car plus mods by the time it was done. She's always chiding me into racing for titles vs my stock 94. I only had to tell her one time....that if it were THAT important to me I could put 5 grand into my vette, still have only half the money into it as her car, and I'd have to bring a friend with me to drive my newly aquired car back with us. I did give her the option of buying another '07 GT completely stock and we'd have a go at it. She didn't like that idea.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by abecon5
am I right???

or do you guys actually fear seeing this guy in your rearview

Only if he`d driving with those Jesus sandals. His foot might slip off the brake when he`s behind me at the light & then he will hit me in the a$$. (that urethane on these old vettes is getting expensive)
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
St. Jude Donor '10

HERE YA GO!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

Cough.. Cough ...

Seeing the potential of the L98 as a forced-induction engine, NewMexico-based HP Performance recently introduced a bolt-on turbo systemfor '85-'91 C4s. Designed specifically for the needs of TPI engines, thenew kit includes a single 60mm turbo, a front-mounted air-to-airintercooler, a compressor-bypass (or "blow-off") valve, and a TiAL 44mmwastegate that regulates boost to 7-8 psi.

According to HP, a stock L98 will withstand 8 psi, provided the air/fuelmixture and timing curves are spot-on. In fact, whereas the Callawayturbo motors featured low-compression pistons, the higher compressionprovided by the standard L98 slugs actually enhances throttle response,fuel economy, and outright power production. The HP kit provides thenecessary extra fuel and timing via a set of 42-pound injectors and arevised PROM.

The 60mm turbo used in the HP kit provides near-immediate boost responseand tire-annihilating low-end torque. Anyone who has ever driven amodified 427 or 454 big-block Vette will immediately recognize the hugeshove in the backside available from the HP-blown L98.

Before installing the turbo kit, we ran the L98 in normally aspiratedtrim to establish a baseline. The engine was configured with an electricwater pump, a set of long-tube headers, and the factory injectors. Runwith the FAST engine-management system, it produced 332 hp at 4,800 rpmand 394 lb-ft at 4,000 rpm. Given the relatively high engine speeds atwhich the peak horsepower and torque values occurred, we suspect the camwas a tad hotter than the factory L98 stick. Still, the TPI motoroffered impressive low-speed torque, with the curve exceeding 350 lb-ftfrom 2,500 rpm to 4,900 rpm and topping 375 lb-ft from 3,200 rpm to4,700 rpm. Whatever its cam specs, the 350 seemed to be in excellentrunning condition and ready for some boost.

After tuning to provide 20 degrees of total timing and a safe air/fuelmixture of 11.75:1 (with the supplied injectors), we were rewarded withan even ""500 HP"" hp at 4,800 rpm and an ""INCREDIBLE 611 LB-FT of TORQUE at3,800 rpm"". As expected, the addition of 8.3 psi of boost pressure simplyamplified the naturally aspirated power curve. The horsepower stillpeaked at 4,800 rpm, and the engine speed for the torque peak wasactually reduced from 4,000 rpm to 3,800 rpm.

Even more impressive is that the HP Performance system has room to growshould you decide to build a dedicated TPI turbo motor. Seven hundredpound-feet at the tires, anyone?

LT what ?! 500hp @ 4800 rpms 611 ft-lbs tq @ 3800 rpms @ the wheel's with alot of room to grow...
Link to the turbo kit ---> http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_06...all/index.html

Last edited by Jamie Lennartson; 03-16-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I am not interested in beating any other car. I have a stock 88 Vette and drive it every day, weather permitting. Rain won't melt it. I will park it next to any ricer that is 22 years old.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Hideki
Racer

My turbo Eclipse is a lot faster than my C4... I've had my rear end handed to me by an RX7 before, while the C4 is an awesome car and can hold its own, and I'm certain there's amazing powerhouse C4's on the road. There's a lot of import metal out there that can beat my personal C4. With that said, a custom C4 is an awesome, gorgeous dinosaur
Old 03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I am about as anti-rice as it gets however I'm not dumb enough to dismiss them all. A majority of the ones that are "fast" are nothing more than grenades in the making with giant turbos bolted on without the rest of the supporting parts.

That doesn't mean they all are.

There are quite a few stock imports out there these days that will give a stock C4 all it wants.

Originally Posted by Hokies83
Before installing the turbo kit, we ran the L98 in normally aspiratedtrim to establish a baseline. The engine was configured with an electricwater pump, a set of long-tube headers, and the factory injectors. Runwith the FAST engine-management system, it produced 332 hp at 4,800 rpmand 394 lb-ft at 4,000 rpm.
Are you talking about RWHP with these figures? If you are, you are coming close to the 400 bhp mark. No way a L98 does that with only headers and fuel management. Even if you are talking bhp and not rwhp, I still find it highly unlikely that an L98 would make that much with those mods. You are almost 100 hp above stock.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I am about as anti-rice as it gets however I'm not dumb enough to dismiss them all. A majority of the ones that are "fast" are nothing more than grenades in the making with giant turbos bolted on without the rest of the supporting parts.

That doesn't mean they all are.

There are quite a few stock imports out there these days that will give a stock C4 all it wants.

Are you talking about RWHP with these figures? If you are, you are coming close to the 400 bhp mark. No way a L98 does that with only headers and fuel management. Even if you are talking bhp and not rwhp, I still find it highly unlikely that an L98 would make that much with those mods. You are almost 100 hp above stock.
Read for yourself people hate on early c4's so much they dont remember the fastest c4 ever was an l98.....
heres the link to the dyno / turbo ---> http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_06...all/index.html
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Read for yourself people hate on early c4's so much they dont remember the fastest c4 ever was an l98.....
heres the link to the dyno / turbo ---> http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_06...all/index.html
It was a bit of a problem to read that article though, with all the run together words. I hope their mechanical abilities were better than their editorial ones.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

You can make anything fast, however a 12 second Civic is a radical little bastard. My car broke 12s with a STOCK LT1 just gears, tires and a stall. There are some neat imports however just not my thing, if they were I'd buy one
Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 PM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kenv
Wow. I think Gianni is rolling over in his grave and Lane Bryant would if she could.

Never underestimate a Japanese car just because of its nation of origin. I don't think you can underestimate the guy though cause he's a mega-douche.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Well, this is just a pool of quicksand with everyone saying "jump in, it'll be fine". This forum doesn't really welcome opinions, but overall I'd agree with most of what's said.

Many here have criticized me endlessly for my Honda background, but for those that don't know I built primarily Honda's for 10+ years, and 8 of those years I spent doing work for customers (fab, tuning, install, paint, body, custom composite parts, you name it). I'm extremely familiar with Honda platforms, and I'm considered one of the best in my area in terms of knowledge and capability without question. I've built well over 60 Honda's and have fabricated components on cars running in the 9's and making in excess of 850whp and 600wtq.

With that said, my opinion is simple.

1) The majority of what you see in the honda world is junk, built by kids with no experience or mechanical knowledge...basically DIVING in. Here guys start with an exhaust and a cam, there they go turbo/nitrous the second week they get the car. It's a disaster.

2) There is a breed of honda enthusiasts out there, that are now approaching 30 and beyond, and if you meet one of their cars on the road, sorry.... First of all, you likely won't notice it because of its clean simplicity, second you likely won't touch it from a red light in a C4 unless you've got your own pile of work done.

3) For those that are curious, I'll give you a little inside basics as of 2010. If a Honda has a dual cam Bseries, 300whp is 800 bucks out of pocket. If its a dual cam vtec engine, 350+ is that same 800 bucks. 800 buys you chinese junk parts, but China has improved its quality standards and for the past few years, the stuff is holding together. If you use top quality components on a dual cam vtec motor 1.8 liters preferrably, 450whp is nothing to make. I could build a 450-600whp Honda, drive it on the street on pump gas for 5k (car included) with my eyes closed. Thats the reality. Civics have aftermarket support that C4 guys would kill for.

4) Next fact is, no matter how fast the civic, it's still a civic. A C4 that loses to a Civic, at the end of the race is still a Corvette. Prestige goes a long way, and win or lose...your driving a Corvette. No Honda guy will argue that point...they know that. They want to experience speed, and Honda's open that door.

5) This thread is ridiculous, and I'm amazed CONTINUALLY, at how V8 enthusiasts take the time to have discussions and brain storming sessions over how their cars are better. In addition, the opinions sometimes sound like the ignorance similar to when the government wouldn't allow blacks into certain positions of the military because they believed they couldn't see at night. Some comments sound similar to the ignorance of extreme racism, or islamic extremists views of women....literally absurd. If you argue displacement or "American", that's a true opinion, but if your making baseless opinions about a platform your not familiar with, it's laughable. If you have an opposing view, then be educated about it, don't make uninformed accusations about something.

6) Finally, I think I see it like this. Corvettes are in a another class. They are true sports cars, and as such that's how people perceive them. They have always been bang for the buck and hang with the best out there...Ferrari, Lambo's, Vipers, you name it. For 1992, these cars were pretty amazing for the price. They have always been infused with technology born from the race track...the road course. A true performance car. Noone, import or not, doesn't believe that.

On the other hand, Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, they are products of a drag era. Of a car that is intended to go straight, in line with America's legacy...drag racing. While technology has improved their handling, they were never purpose built machines...they are budget sports cars.

So, to me, I wanted the entire experience...handling, braking, power/weight, responsiveness and Civics are the ticket. They have the support, they have the capability to impress...period. If many of you here rode in a truly well built Civic, I guarantee 100% you would NOT be able to deny being impressed...no question. I've ridden hardcore V8 guys in my cars I've built and every time, they were either in pure fear, or at least extremely impressed. It's all in the builder behind the car, and 90% of built Honda's out there are crap, built by noobs...period.

To the statement above though...theres NOTHING radical about a 12second Civic...that's a cakewalk. I could build a cheap pile of junk with junkyard parts that runs 12's. Its not so hard as you make it. Honda heads are incredible, vtec is a proven technology, and those motors are mega stout stock...the dohc vtecs can handle 4x the output they make stock and not break. Honda builds an incredible motor, and their long term reliability that noone can deny proves that.

Last edited by RC000E; 03-16-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Id never buy an import if thats what the op was after.

Will muscle beat an import every time hell no. there are some super quick ones out there, ive been smoked a few times by them.
My TPi car was the worst to run against them, once they hit the boost they are long gone. Hell I got killed by a Bimmer from 80 on up I may as well have thrown it in reverse lol.

Always someone faster.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:39 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

If you paid attention at all you would have seen that I never said you COULDN'T make one fast.

I questioned the fact that you said that an L98 with headers and some fuel management stuff would make close to 400 bhp. There is no way that is going to happen.

Comparing highly modded and "built" Hondas to stock Corvettes is absolutely worthless. A few hundred bucks and some know-how will build a 10 second Pinto. Who gives a crap. In fact comparing modded anything is pointless. If you are going that route, why not compare a GT1 Corvette to a modded Honda? The number of stock parts is about the same.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 03-16-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

LT what ?! 500hp @ 4800 rpms 611 ft-lbs tq @ 3800 rpms @ the wheel's with alot of room to grow...
Link to the turbo kit ---> http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_06...all/index.html
I'll be happy to search for the gentleman that has a 1,000 HP C4 LT1 that was his daily driver if you'd like. It was on this board several years ago.

The L98 isn't a bad engine but it isn't the greatest thing sliced bread.

You can hype the L98 until the cows come home but even with the turbo you noted above it's still quite a bit less HP than a new ZR1.

Get notified of new replies

To Muscle beats import everytime.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
If you paid attention at all you would have seen that I never said you COULDN'T make one fast.
You can make one fast.

But, on the other hand you can push a Yugo off a cliff and it will be extremely fast.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:49 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Try putting all that boost to a stock bottom end and see what happens (especially an L98), it isnt as simple as bolting on a turbo and sweeping the streets. Youll spend a TON putting it together right.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

The point is, the lure of Honda's isn't being built vs non built...its a matter of cost. For 5k you can build a 12sec Honda easy...you can hardly own a vette for that. In the end, like I said though, a vette is a vette and a civic is a civic.

I don't know why anyone is arguing with Hokies...that dude knows everything. You'll never win that arguement. He's the guy who knows it all and hasn't built the first damn thing...a perfect blend. He has a 6second Corvette, he just hasn't bought it yet.

Quick Reply: Muscle beats import everytime.