Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Should I take the vette on the road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 PM
MJinPA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I take the vette on the road trip?

Going to Columbus, OH this weekend. It's a 800 mile roundtrip. My vette is primarily a weekend car, as I've only done one roadtrip over 4 hrs in the 2 years i've had it. My concerns are of course, the chance of thunderstorms every day, the road debris on the miserable PA turnpike and the tight and crowded parking at a well known drinking establishment that I know I'll be visiting.

Should I take it or not? Honest opinions welcome including the bashing I'll probably get from a few.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:02 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I take my DD 95 on long road trips ...so IMO if your car is in good mechanical shape take it...

Mike
Old 06-03-2010, 10:32 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Its actually why I bought my car. A week after I got it, I took off on a 2000 mi road trip from Bama to upstate NY with a week of hunting in the middle. I have to say its tough to pack two weeks of stuff plus hunting gear. I took a short barrel rifle and my .22 and had both barrels on either side of my arm rest covered with a towel That'll be the last hunting trip I take the Vette on Now it serves to drive back and forth to FL 4-5 times a year. Other than that it has the life of Riley, pampered and covered.

Take your car, have a great time, it'll seem like less time on the road. Trade with someone before you go to the bar. Vette+Bar+turning the tires over=DUI.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Why not?

The week after I bought the 92 we left Columbus, OH for a week in the north Georgia mountains.

Little later drove it out to Colorado Springs and back.

We've had it in 15-20 states so far.

What's the watering hole you're headed to?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Absolutely, drive your Vette and have fun

Here are few trips and I lost many others from DC, NYC, St Loius, and Texas.

Big Bear

Yosemite

Death Valley

Lone Pine

Route 66

Norfolk, VA

National Corvette Museum,. Kentucky

Mexico

Track

Car Shows

Mid America's Drive your Vette to Work Day

Old 06-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Garden of the Gods:

Gettysburg:

Bowling Green (CF CI of course)

Heading home from Knoxville after 87 Ragtop picked up his 87

Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Drive it, they are great highway cars.

Ran the 89 vert Naples to Chicago non stop then back to Naples non stop 6 times, 1350 mi one way.

Am leaving for Naples next week in the 90 for a few days, 1450 mi round trip from here. The 2nd week of July I'm off to St Paul MN.

Remember to slow down a bit if you encounter heavy rain, the wide tires tend to hydro plane when/if you hit standing water on the road.

Enjoy the trip, have fun.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

There ment to be driven, drive it, enjoy it.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 AM
CopperCorvette
Pro

Go for it. You'll have a great time letting the car do what it was meant to be doing. The first weekend I had my 87 I went to Hollywood with my wife (something she has always wanted to see) and back home for 1100 mile trip. Only time I wasn't smiling was when I was looking for a bathroom on the highway
Old 06-04-2010, 01:57 AM
American Raven
C3 Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJinPA
Going to Columbus, OH this weekend. It's a 800 mile roundtrip. My vette is primarily a weekend car, as I've only done one roadtrip over 4 hrs in the 2 years i've had it. My concerns are of course, the chance of thunderstorms every day, the road debris on the miserable PA turnpike and the tight and crowded parking at a well known drinking establishment that I know I'll be visiting.

Should I take it or not? Honest opinions welcome including the bashing I'll probably get from a few.
I have no problems driving any of my cars from coast to coast. Some are more updated and comfortable but mechanically I wouldn't fear any of them leaving me stranded.

I love my '95 LT1 and use it as a daily driver, but I know I would be pretty fatigued after driving more than a few hours in it. Also, I have serious back problems and sitting in the Corbeau seats for more than a few hours would make my life really miserable. Gas milage is about 22-25 mpg on the interstate with the cruise locked in at 75 mph. My Z06 and Mustang both average about 30 mpg under the same factors. The '79 - getting 18 mpg is doing really good.

So from a mechanical standpoint, I wouldn't hesistate to drive my '95 for hours. From a comfort standpoint, I'd probably would select one of my other cars for a long distance trip.

I think that most members of this forum are the same way about their cars - they are the sort to take care of their machines and most C4's are capable of being trusted to do a long-distance trip.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:08 AM
Willymo
Racer

I drove my 95DD from Virginia to California and it was by far one of the funnest things i have ever done. Go for it, you wont forget it.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:19 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My '88 is a DD and I drive it between SE NY & NE OH (450 miles 1-way) with no issues. Well, when I tried that last Jan I lost both the A4 and then the engine, but otherwise all is well...
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
My '88 is a DD and I drive it between SE NY & NE OH (450 miles 1-way) with no issues. Well, when I tried that last Jan I lost both the A4 and then the engine, but otherwise all is well...
Point would be, you fixed it and prolly drove it again
Old 06-04-2010, 05:58 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default One leeetle suggestion first...

If U have an M6 trans and you aren't already running Castrol TWS 10W60 oil in it (Bill B's recommendation), or you have more than 13000 miles on the last oil change, you might want to change it. Neither of the above not withstanding, then be sure to level the car and top off the fluid level before going.

No, I'm not suggesting the ZF is problem prone, but while in 6th gear, the reverse gear is also engaged (tho spinning freely on its (sub) shaft). According to how Bill B explained it to me, the stock trans oil hole(s) is a bit small and IF either the oil is past it's prime, OR the level is a bit low, then lubrication is lost and a common problem with the ZF will occur: the reverse gear seizes on the sub shaft and the result is a fried transmission! Anywayz, a fresh fill of TWS (available from your local BMW dealer) will forestall any trans issues while cruising on a long trip.

And, while we're on the subject, if you haven't changed the differential oil in the past 20k, that too is something to do before you're trip (and don't forget the posi fluid supplement to be added to the oil).

I took my 95 Vette on a couple long trips: a 24 hour and a 30 hour trip and found it to be THE BEST cruiser I ever drove on a long trip! So, worry not...they are meant to be driven (and I think they like it!).

P.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:51 AM
1991-C4
Instructor

My '91 coupé is my DD, rain or shine (except in the dead of winter), but in your case, I am going to go against the crowd and advise you to take another vehicle.

Obviously this is your baby and I get that. For many people, owning a Corvette is just a hobby. If you are concerned about driving it in the rain, picking up road debris and where you are going to park, you will be a nervous wreck worrying about your car instead of enjoying your trip. It will never be the same after you get back because it would be nearly impossible to come back from an 800 mile round trip in pristine condition.

Enjoy your Corvette on your terms, but for an extended road trip, get something else!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:59 AM
PAINTER MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't worry at all about driving the vette to Columbus, Ohio. I drive there all the time. Of course I only live 70 miles away.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 AM
vetteman42
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When you are in that rocking chair and can't get around much, what do you think you wished you had done???

Drive it and enjoy it every chance you can!!

And, SAVE THE WAVE

Get notified of new replies

To Should I take the vette on the road trip?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by PLRX
Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 AM
beadist
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Drive it. Enjoy it. Just don't take it to the watering hole. Let someone else drive. The temptation is enormous when you're sober....after drinking....it changes to very dangerous. Show it to your friends before heading to the bar.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:20 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Yes you should. Once you do, you'll never ask that question again!

Quick Reply: Should I take the vette on the road trip?