C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Best way to jack up an support my 95

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 05:04 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Christi@n
I've done once an oil change under jack stands, but it's pretty complicated pull up the car. Also i'm fear under there. Feel no safe

Yep ramp is way to go, better would be ramp for the overall lenght IMO.

Even hole in the ground i like
Oh hole in the ground trumps ramps. But the ramps are the next best thing.

The ideal setup is the pit you drive over and then work in complete safety.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
Oh hole in the ground trumps ramps. But the ramps are the next best thing.

The ideal setup is the pit you drive over and then work in complete safety.
Yeah i meant pit for "hole in the ground" just didn't know the right english for
Old 12-08-2015, 07:55 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Here's what I use:

Superior safety, relatively easy to use, and fits in nearly any garage.

Live well,

SJW
Old 12-09-2015, 03:17 AM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I used a lowboy floor jack with the item pictured. Ugly weld but it was a quick job with a stick.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:18 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

^^Great idea for the rear. I am now going on a I-beam scrap metal search at work

Last edited by 9T3VETTE; 12-09-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:24 AM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
Here's what I use:

Superior safety, relatively easy to use, and fits in nearly any garage.

Live well,

SJW

Where can one purchse one of these!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:50 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default lift

Originally Posted by Jcoyle
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO JACK UP AND SUPPORT MY 95.
i HAVE A LOW BOY HYD. JACK.
Where is the best place to put the jack and stands?
Hockey pucks work good
Old 12-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
^^Great idea for the rear. I am now going on a I-beam scrap metal search at work
I have a new setup with I beam but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I figured that would be the best since it has web material. FYI, I drilled and tapped the the jack as to make it steady and I can remove it if needed, like for the front cradle.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:46 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ClaudioC4
Where can one purchse one of these!
Right here:

http://www.kwik-lift.com/

Live well,

SJW
The following users liked this post:
ClaudioC4 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 12:10 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
Right here:

http://www.kwik-lift.com/

Live well,

SJW
I don't "get it". Bare raw steel, it's $1100.00. Painted (coated), it's $1400. It gets your car, what, 18" off the ground? Can't do any wheel/brake work w/the thing.

For very close to the same money, you can get a REAL LIFT...and even park another car underneath.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:29 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Actually there is a bar that goes with it that allows for jacking up the car to get the wheels off for break work etc.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:43 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by crowz
Actually there is a bar that goes with it that allows for jacking up the car to get the wheels off for break work etc.
I have two of the cross-bridges (visible in the photos). For the Corvette, I've found it easiest to use the factory jack and jacking points when I need to remove a wheel. The jack doesn't care whether it's resting on the pavement, or on the ramp. The cross-bridge is essential for other chores, such as supporting the rear of the engine when the transmission is out of the car.

Live well,

SJW
Old 12-10-2015, 07:53 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I don't "get it". Bare raw steel, it's $1100.00. Painted (coated), it's $1400. It gets your car, what, 18" off the ground? Can't do any wheel/brake work w/the thing.

For very close to the same money, you can get a REAL LIFT...and even park another car underneath.

Believe me, Tom, I'd much rather have a real lift. In fact, I was going to buy a four-post. But, I measured everything, and found that it just wouldn't work out in my garage (you can see the blue masking tape on the floor in the photos, marking where one of the posts would have been).

I don't have enough ceiling height to raise a Corvette more than about four feet above the floor (even with the car on the Kwiklift, I can't raise the hood all the way without it contacting the ceiling). That, combined with the lack of surrounding space, led me to abandon the idea of a real lift. The posts would have made it very difficult to move around in the garage, and since I'd be left with sitting under the car or rolling around under it on a creeper anyway, I just punted on the idea, and bought the Kwiklift instead. A two-post lift will not physically fit in my garage. It's just impossible.

The Kwiklift is a poor substitute for a two-post or four-post lift. But, within the confines of this too-small garage, it was the best I could do, and it has been very useful. For oil changes, I don't even have to lift the rear end. Just drive up onto it like a pair of small ramps, and I'm all set. And it is so much safer (and easier to use) than jackstands. BTW, the Kwiklift raises the car 20 inches -- about the ideal height for use with a creeper.

Live well,

SJW

Last edited by SJW; 12-10-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

that except maybe for safety, the two-poster is the best all-round lift: nothing comes to mind that one can't do from a two post lift.

A close 2nd would be the 4-post lift; advantage (perhaps) being safest except for the "pit". The disadvantage to either the 4-poster or the 'pit' is that to change tires, etc., it requires some sort of jack in addition. But, BOTH the 2 and 4 post lifts afford the ability to stack cars; handy IF you have the ceiling height.

The next one on my list (I've been considering this very question for a while) is one like the Kwik-Lift (sp?).

Pros:
  • Quick and safe; especially convenient if the car is otherwise stored on the ramps anyway.
    Somewhat less expensive than "a real lift", but can be the only option if ceiling height is an issue
    Relatively easy to move to a new location (compared perhaps to a 2 or 4 post lift)

Cons:
  • Cost is 80-90% of either of the other two post lift options, I find.
  • You're still lying on your back to do work: getting up and down from the floor is tough on old bones...
  • limited height adjustments and essentially on one end only, and to change the height requires the vehicle be removed to make the change (as I see it). Limited height/clearance can be a PIA for some jobs.
  • Separate lift (jacks, etc) required if the wheels have to be removed.

The wood cribs:
Aside from the initial fussing to build them and to use them look to me to be, as others have said, "comforting". But, again one is on his back to do work, and then there's the getting up and down from the floor (for this old salt) that becomes an issue (changing transmissions or engine pulling or the like!

Ramps:
Ramps are convenient to a point. But, height adjustment means having the right lumber handy, and all the fussing involved with that. Safety is good tho, but it was the inconvenience of the quick height adjustment issue that moved me away from tamps; that and if I need height AND taking a wheel off, e.g., rear-end changeout, the ramps were just a PIA (to me).

Jacks and jack stands:
Pros:
quick to set up, especially when using a pair of hydraulic jacks or a special tandem jacking bar (designed for the purpose).
easy height adjustments w/o having to take the car off the stands to do it.
very easy to move jacking system around, especially convenient if the vehicle(s) are not easily jockeyed around to be lifted.
Cheap.

Cons:
lying on your back to do work; getting up and down...a real PIA by the end of the day!!
limited room for some bigger jobs; some requiring extra height extension, which leads to
safety concerns (I always leave BOTH of my hydraulic jacks under the frame in addition to the jack stands...just in case! )

As for vehicle jacking points, the pinch-frame locations are what I use most for jacking and jack stands. But, after one of the rocker panels suddenly cracked due to contact with the jacking pad (hockey puck), I use pinch locations further under the frame. (Somebody offers a special little disc welded to a pin that fits into the typical hydraulic jack pad fixture. The disc has a V-groove cut into the diameter of the disc, and the disc itself is small enough to avoid interference with the brake lines etc that may be in close proximity to the jacking points.)

Safety: I guess it goes w/o saying, the surface the jacks (especially the two-post lift) sit on need to be level; one of the biggest contributors to lifting stability (personal experience). And, I would NEVER crawl under a car supported by jacks alone; hydraulic or otherwise (after seeing a couple people that had paid with their lives for doing so).
Old 12-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I was genuinely curious, as I'm about to pull the trigger on the Atlas 2 poster pictured....and I wanted to make SURE that I wasn't completely oblivious to some important aspect. Garage size most certainly would drive lift choice.

My joists are 9'6" up, so I can just barely fit that lift in my garage, height wise.

Thanks for the good, clear responses.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:48 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Here's a picture I found a while back on supporting a car. Unfortunately I don't remember where I found it and cannot give credit to whoever came up with it, but I'd feel safer with these than just jackstands.

To whoever came up with it and took the picture - Thank You and sorry for not giving credit to you.
This is what I use on my 94' except mine are made out of 2x12's and have no gaps in them. 5-2' pieces of 2x12 screwed together with deck screws. Very safe. I do not trust jackstands when working under the car. I use them brakes, etc...
Old 12-12-2015, 08:29 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The pinch welds work until they don't. Then they bend or tear. After my first tear I got several very low profile aluminum jacks and would use the rear differential for the rear and the cross member for the front or if only going for one side of the front would use the bottom A Arm.

Admittedly the bend/tear was on a car I was jacking up weekly to rotate or change tires for competitive reasons, so I likely was stressing those pinch welds way more than most would.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:30 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
The pinch welds work until they don't. Then they bend or tear. After my first tear I got several very low profile aluminum jacks and would use the rear differential for the rear and the cross member for the front or if only going for one side of the front would use the bottom A Arm.

Admittedly the bend/tear was on a car I was jacking up weekly to rotate or change tires for competitive reasons, so I likely was stressing those pinch welds way more than most would.
Don't the exhaust pipes pass directly underneath the differential? At least that's how they are on my 1995. "Competitive reasons" indicate possible modifications/ custom exhaust.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:40 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Mishawaka
I have a new setup with I beam but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I figured that would be the best since it has web material. FYI, I drilled and tapped the the jack as to make it steady and I can remove it if needed, like for the front cradle.
I bought the Jackman's jack adapter for raising the back of the car using the batwing. I did end up modifying it a little. The bolt to hold it onto the jack didn't fit mine. I tried sitting it on the cup of the jack but it could slip. Instead I picked up a piece of metal that fit inside the cup of the jack. I drilled and countersunk a hole and bolted it onto the jack adapter. It now works well, doesn't slip-and-slide and drops into the cup in just a second. It's the piece on the right in the picture, the addon is in orange. The other piece is something I built to change out u-joints in a press by pressing on the cross shafts rather than on the caps.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Best way to jack up an support my 95