C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Best way to jack up an support my 95

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Jcoyle
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to jack up an support my 95

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO JACK UP AND SUPPORT MY 95.
i HAVE A LOW BOY HYD. JACK.
Where is the best place to put the jack and stands?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have some aluminum plates I put between the jack stand and the pinch weld,I also have some HDPE plastic pads I made for my jacks.I hate climbing under the car so what you dont see in this picture is another jack stand in the back as well as both floor jacks.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Everyone has their preferred way, here's how I get the car on 4 stands. I use a cheapie Harbor Freight jack under the front jacking point until the car is high enough to get my large floor jack under the front crossmember. Then I raise the front of the car, and put 2 stands under the front jacking points.

Moving to the rear, I use the rear shock mounts and bring it up one side at a time, and put the stands under the rear jacking points.

Takes about 3 minutes.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:01 AM
CE1
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hockey pucks still make great pads!!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Everyone has their preferred way, here's how I get the car on 4 stands. I use a cheapie Harbor Freight jack under the front jacking point until the car is high enough to get my large floor jack under the front crossmember. Then I raise the front of the car, and put 2 stands under the front jacking points.

Moving to the rear, I use the rear shock mounts and bring it up one side at a time, and put the stands under the rear jacking points.

Takes about 3 minutes.
jacks at the jacking points- you mean on that flange (pinch weld?) where the arrows are? Just curious, as I never felt those seemed safe.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 AM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by socalman
jacks at the jacking points- you mean on that flange (pinch weld?) where the arrows are? Just curious, as I never felt those seemed safe.
They are safe. But you will see fuel and brake hard lines right there too. Just keep off those and you're golden.

One thing that Saab got right was the way the scissor jack top had a channel that it slides into. I would prefer something like that on our cars.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by socalman
They're fine, just watch the brake lines like 94Z alluded to. The lines are usually tucked up far enough that it's not an issue with the stands.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:11 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3
They are safe. But you will see fuel and brake hard lines right there too. Just keep off those and you're golden.

One thing that Saab got right was the way the scissor jack top had a channel that it slides into. I would prefer something like that on our cars.
Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
They're fine, just watch the brake lines like 94Z alluded to. The lines are usually tucked up far enough that it's not an issue with the stands.
go to know. I always went fishing for a piece of frame, I think I was hitting the area the OP has pictured, but was never really comfortable there either.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:15 AM
VmaxFlyer
Instructor

Default newbie here

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3

......My 95/6 TBird/Cougar had the same deal........unfortunately,,,,the body actually started to crinkle.....
Old 12-06-2015, 08:24 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I will still put wood blocks under the tires. I found a friend under a car.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I will still put wood blocks under the tires. I found a friend under a car.
This is a very sad story...

I use ramps too... I feel more safe under ramp
Old 12-06-2015, 06:19 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by VmaxFlyer
......My 95/6 TBird/Cougar had the same deal........unfortunately,,,,the body actually started to crinkle.....
newbie here

I see your still at it..... Digging up old 5+ year old threads just to make a comment.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:15 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Here's a picture I found a while back on supporting a car. Unfortunately I don't remember where I found it and cannot give credit to whoever came up with it, but I'd feel safer with these than just jackstands.

To whoever came up with it and took the picture - Thank You and sorry for not giving credit to you.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Mishawaka (12-09-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 09:02 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

wood cribbing
Old 12-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by hcbph
Here's a picture I found a while back on supporting a car. Unfortunately I don't remember where I found it and cannot give credit to whoever came up with it, but I'd feel safer with these than just jackstands.

To whoever came up with it and took the picture - Thank You and sorry for not giving credit to you.
This give me a great safety sensation
Old 12-07-2015, 01:52 PM
VmaxFlyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
wood cribbing
it works!! lol

http://www.craneblogger.com/crane-bi...ne/2012/01/25/
Attached Images  

Last edited by VmaxFlyer; 12-07-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: wasn't digging up old threads...found them in searches
Old 12-08-2015, 03:42 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Place the floor jack under the pinch welds under the side rail, you will see small arrows stamped, indicating the correct location. Use a puck or spacer of some kind if you wish, just avoid the metal lines running inside the pinch welds as others have said.

Raise the car enough to put good jack stands under solid frame locations, or under the pinch welds as was intended. I use the front frame rails and the rear pinch welds (there's an area ahead of the rear tires that forms a triangle with the pinch welds, that's a solid place for a jack stand). Keep in mind that the floor jack does not raise straight up, it travels in an arc and the wheels on the jack need to roll on the floor as you are lifting. Be aware of this when lifting the 2nd side (or lowering the first side) so as not to pull the car off the remaining stands.

Jack stands rated for a capacity beyond what is needed, and in good condition, are perfectly safe. I always give my car several solid bumps with my hip on every corner before climbing underneath. Of course it does not hurt to put wood blocks (or the tires/wheels on their sides) under the car for added safety. I find they get in the way of my work sometimes, but worth the added security and peace of mind.

Last edited by DGXR; 12-08-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to jack up an support my 95

Old 12-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

This is what I actually use, safe sensation when i'm under there, jack stand don't give me same sensation, but it's just what i feel,

I work with pleasure with them
Attached Images  

Last edited by Christi@n; 12-08-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:18 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Anyone that works on cars regularly your going to see using ramps if they have them. Why?

0 seconds required to get the car ready. Sure it takes x amount of time to drive onto the ramp but that's just driving.

Not lugging around jacks. Rolling around jacks. Finding the right spot to place the jack. Double checking to make sure its actually where you wanted it as your trying to jack the car up.

Just drive it up on the ramps and get the job done already.

Short of a lift of some kind ramps are the way to go. Heck if I'm wanting all 4 corners raised I drive up on 2 ramps and then jack the other end up and put ramps under those wheels.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by crowz
Anyone that works on cars regularly your going to see using ramps if they have them. Why?

0 seconds required to get the car ready. Sure it takes x amount of time to drive onto the ramp but that's just driving.

Not lugging around jacks. Rolling around jacks. Finding the right spot to place the jack. Double checking to make sure its actually where you wanted it as your trying to jack the car up.

Just drive it up on the ramps and get the job done already.

Short of a lift of some kind ramps are the way to go. Heck if I'm wanting all 4 corners raised I drive up on 2 ramps and then jack the other end up and put ramps under those wheels.
I've done once an oil change under jack stands, but it's pretty complicated pull up the car. Also i'm fear under there. Feel no safe

Yep ramp is way to go, better would be ramp for the overall lenght IMO.

Even hole in the ground i like

Last edited by Christi@n; 12-08-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Best way to jack up an support my 95