Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What is the funniest or dumbest comment you ever got about your vette ?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does that have a v6 ???
Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 PM
pitchadude
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend saw a pic of me sitting in mine....in front of the Corvette Museum on my facebook page and he too asked me, " Is that your Corvette?" Thought to myself .....no its someone elses just thought I would steal it for this pic. lol
Old 07-12-2010, 04:29 PM
carb0n
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I stop by the local Sonic because they have car meets, which is majorly made up of imports and ricers, all the way. Some "frat boys" and "bros" show up in their stock mustangs but whatever...

I showed up once and I've been asked by a person who NEVER saw my corvette before, anywhere, if my car was a fiero with a body kit (like they do fieros into ferraris with kits)
Old 07-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Scotsman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best one I've had so far was from a "Kid" ....20 ish... at my local garage, mind you , he worked there. My normal mechanic was checking out the exhaust on the lift (we're pals, he lets me use the lift in the evenings for free if he's not busy) and the kid wonders by, peers intently up at the underside of the car for a few seconds while Jerry and I are discussing headers, and when we stop talking he says:

"I thought these were rear wheel drive, but I guess I was wrong...learn something new everyday on this job"

Then he wanders off back to his oil change in the other bay.
Jerry and I stared at one another for about thirty seconds, then he rolled his eyes and told me it's hard to get good help these days.
Jerry fired him that week, I think for putting window washer fluid in someone's powersteering.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a lot of people who have no idea what kind of car the '96 is... granted it doesn't exactly look like a stock '96 but more than once this has happened;

Idiot: "What kind of car is that?"
Me: "Corvette"
Idiot: "Really!??! What year?"
Me: "96"
Idiot: "Are you sure?"
Me: "No, I was just guessing..."
Me:

The worst ones are the MULTIPLE people that have told me that my 02 must be a fake because they didn't make Z06s until the C6 or just be otherwise confused by the C5 Z06 thing. Some of these idiots are self proclaimed "car guys". If it hasn't happened already I bet a lot of the C4 ZR1 guys will have something similar happen in the near future.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had sort of goofy questions about my license plates lately.

Had "BOAT MTR" sort of as a joke. The only question I ever got about it was a guy who asked me if it was a Merlin. I said "No, Mercruiser made it". He said "cool" or something, and said it was a nice car, but I don't think he made the engine connection. That plate was a little abstract, though.

I also had "LOTUS V8" on the car. Some kids in a minivan at a light asked me why my plate said that. I replied "Because Lotus designed the engine". The kid riding shotgun looked sort of puzzled, so I said "Lotus, the car company that makes Lotuses". I don't know if that did it for him, but he nodded like that cleared it up, then they drove off since the light had changed.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:26 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,792 Likes on 664 Posts

Guy at church one morning asked me if it was a new one....looked a little shocked when I said it's a 94. At a gas station somebody asked if it was an 84, told him it was a 94 and he said "Gee it looks JUST like an 84". So I tried to explain that the same basic body style ran from 84 to 96 but I could see his eyes glassing over so I stopped. Did have a convienence store clerk comment that she'd never seen one that color and asked what it was. Nothing too stupid so far but I'll post it as soon as it happens.

astepup said that
Old 07-12-2010, 10:04 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Went to Pep Boys for plugs once. The kid staring hard at the computer screen asks me Uhh, Corvette---- thats a Chevy----right???
Old 07-13-2010, 12:24 AM
darkstallion_69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scotsman
Best one I've had so far was from a "Kid" ....20 ish... at my local garage, mind you , he worked there. My normal mechanic was checking out the exhaust on the lift (we're pals, he lets me use the lift in the evenings for free if he's not busy) and the kid wonders by, peers intently up at the underside of the car for a few seconds while Jerry and I are discussing headers, and when we stop talking he says:

"I thought these were rear wheel drive, but I guess I was wrong...learn something new everyday on this job"

Then he wanders off back to his oil change in the other bay.
Jerry and I stared at one another for about thirty seconds, then he rolled his eyes and told me it's hard to get good help these days.
Jerry fired him that week, I think for putting window washer fluid in someone's powersteering.
Thats hilarious!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Other then while im filling up I get the "that thing must eat gas" and after I answer a lot of times followed by well thats better then what i get actually.

Only issue I had was at Turkey hill(PA gas station) guy constantly came in with an 87 vert, always yakking about it did this and that, had this that and the other thing chrome plated(all the random stuff). So I usually tried to avoid him but sadly didnt see him while I was on register and her started talking about how it was apraised at 35,000 or something(with a so so top and ok overall shape) but how it wasnt stock... 600+hp not stock. So asked him all the just "yes sir" questions, said he had motor pulled, everything inside changed out yet still was a 350... and still through the stock auto and rear. So after awhile I realized as long as i listened a little bit each time, I could be a smart a$$ with him some. So finally one day after just getting tired of listening to this guy and under the less then great advice of my buddy there I called him out and said:

Well I know your cars pretty quick but ive gotten darn good at driving mine, care to have a go at it?
Him: oh I dont think you want to its got over double yours doesnt it?
Me:About yeah... lets do stop light to stop light then, maybe I can get the jump on you since Ill have better traction. I mean we have almost the exact same size tires. Actually yeah since you say how rarely you take it out I know i can launch mine better then you will with that much power, care to put pinks on the line?
Him(a little taken back now so he starts to just walk towards the door):Oh im not into that racing stuff any more. Besides sonny I told you mine got appraised at 35,xxx I dont think thats quite an even bet there.
Me: I got ten grand saved up and a bike I could sell if I need to. You scared to?
Then he gave me the "phooy you" wave as he walked out. Next time he came in wouldnt say a word to me.

Last edited by McGirk94LT1; 07-13-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jwheelerjr
I like to just tell people it's a prelude with an awesome body kit.
You better believe I will hence use this phrase from here on out.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

I was getting a part at Advance Auto and he asked "Is it a diesel?"

Another time looking for a crank bolt for a C5 while I was in Pep Boys. Two counter people, and the Manager had no idea what a Crankshaft/balencer bolt was. They had no clue.

I get some weird comments on the car with the funny stripe.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 AM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I still lived in Dallas, I had a guy at a gas station ask if my car had a 4.0 litre engine. I was stunned by this until I realized he must had seen the 40th badges and assumed that they said 4.0.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 AM
kangi
Burning Brakes

The best one I have is my neighbor calling me "moneybags" when I was washing the vette for the first time as he's getting his $40,000 boat ready for a fishing trip
Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tblt44
Does that have a v6 ???
I forgot about that one.. Lifeguard at pool said his friends firebird had a corvette V6 in it and asked me if mine was also a V6.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:24 PM
mdlfcrss
Burning Brakes

I walked past a guy one night who was taking great pains to park his car up against the curb with the front wheels cut in. Being nosey and offering my two cents when nobody asked for it, I asked him if his e-brake was broken. He smiled and said that it did work but it was a pain in the *** to climb over the handle once he engaged it. Ummmmm.....what????
I didn't have the heart to embarrass him, so I simply agreed and complimented him on his ride.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:30 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by kangi
The best one I have is my neighbor calling me "moneybags" when I was washing the vette for the first time as he's getting his $40,000 boat ready for a fishing trip
I heard that one before too. I laugh and say I'll sell it cheap to ya.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the funniest or dumbest comment you ever got about your vette ?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I was at a church funtion admiring the next man's (not mine) '64 'Vert. A know-it-all, braggart type (i.e. big I, little you) saw me looking at the car and said, "keep dreaming, keep dreaming, keep dreaming!"

I immediately replied, "I don't have to dream, my car's in the garage at home. "Where's your 'Vette at?"

He felt like a fool and immediately shut up.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by onedef92
I was at a church funtion admiring the next man's (not mine) '64 'Vert. A know-it-all, braggart type (i.e. big I, little you) saw me looking at the car and said, "keep dreaming, keep dreaming, keep dreaming!"

I immediately replied, "I don't have to dream, my car's in the garage at home. "Where's your 'Vette at?"

He felt like a fool and immediately shut up.
Must have been a Mustang
Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Must have been a Mustang
Actually the tool drives a 350 Z Nissan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the funniest or dumbest comment you ever got about your vette ?