Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

End Of An ERA - LOVE IS BLUE gone!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 AM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End Of An ERA - LOVE IS BLUE gone!

Hello my Vette friends!
You may wonder why I haven't been here in a while. Aside from health issues, the end of an era has finally come in my long history with my 1966 Corvette, LOVE IS BLUE.

On June 17th, 2010 the big truck stopped in front of my house and after I did one last long smoky burnout on the street in front of my house, I drove my life's work into the trailer and she was strapped down and taken to her new owner, Bruce Carson in Edmonton, AB, Canada.

Yes, I sold my longest and closest friend after 42 years together. While I didn't get what I was hoping for, due to the sick economy, I got enough so my wife and I could pay off our second mortgage and her '05 Chrysler, Crossfire. Between those payments we were drowning in shortfalls since she was forced out of her job into early retirement. Just not enough money at the end of each month and we kept getting deeper in debt each month.

I can no longer do the work myself on LOVE and there was no money to pay others to do the many things necessary to keep such a beast running in top conditions, so I let her go to someone who has the money and love to take it to the next level hopefully. We are keeping in touch and he has LOTS of questions each week about how this or that works and has sent several photos since he's received her, so I'll be involved with LOVE for a while at least. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad yet. Time will tell...

I will really miss each of my friends here at Crovetteforum.com. Over the years we have enjoyed meeting and have spent countless hours chatting back and forth. Great memories.

Here are the photos of that final day. Enjoy, Glenn

Getting in for final drive to trailer:

Final inspection prior to loading:

One final look and goodbye:

Trying hard not to cry:

Loaded on upper deck for trip to Canada:

Walking away in tears:

Arrival in Edmonton, AB, Canada, Love's new home:

New owner and friends removing nose for inspection:
Old 07-27-2010, 04:06 AM
darkstallion_69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that is a beautiful car. Im sorry to hear you have to part with it im sure its going to hurt for a while every time you step into that garage. That is never something easy to do. It looks like it will continue having a good life though. good luck
Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 AM
90EXPVette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Glenn, I've admired that Vette for years! The only good thing is that is sounds like she went to someone that will take care of her.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:06 AM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, I can only imagine what a tough decision that must've been! Hopefully the new owner will have the same level of passion for it as you did.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Glenn.....sorry you had to let her go after all these years. Hopefully the new owner will continue to show her the same love.

Maybe Sweetsie will see her driving around Edmonton....well, in the summer anyway
Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I'm sorry it came to this.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Old87owner
Racer

I sort of know how you feel. I used my slightly modified Orange 73 Vette as a down payment on our house. I cried for a bit. But, She is past history. Now I have a fully paid for house, 3 kids and a wonderful wife. Not to mention 3 dogs and a cat.

My 87 is now my pride and joy of my cars. She is my new baby.

Good luck and things do get better. But once you own a vette, you will always have a part of your heart saved for one. Maybe you can get a C4 someday. It may not be what you had, but it isnt a bad substitue.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:41 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Gone but not forgotten but adopted by someone who will appreciate her.
Don't be a stranger here. AND - change is a constant so you might be back in the saddle again some day.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 PM
rinosaur
Instructor

42 years! Wow that is THE most exotic Corvette I've ever seen. To think its only been months with my first vette. Keep in touch a lot with the new owner, I think that would be the best way to cope with the parting.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Default Moving on

Thank you all for the support and kind words about LOVE.

It has been a part of my life since before my two kids were even born, so it was a big part of my life all these years.

I'm thankful for the years I got to spend and play with it and also that the owner I sold her to appears to care as much as I did about her so will take good care of her (or I wouldn't have sold to him).

Thanks again, Glenn
Old 07-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Relic
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gorgeous car. Very sad story, but, all good things come to an end.
You're right, appreciate the time you had with it.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:25 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Looks badazz!!

You can still drop by and post here! Don't be a stranger!!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

That was one killer vette. Sorry to hear you finally had to let her go. I know you've had her on the market for quite some time.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sad story Glenn. At least if I see her running around up here, I'll know the story behind it
Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

On the bright side, it will have a very easy life up there. They only have....what...two or three?....weeks of summer so it will have a lot of hibernation time! You can probably buy it back in a couple years and still have some of the same gas in the tank you sold it with!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear of this, Glenn but take comfort in the fact she'd never be in the beautiful state she's in without you and your countless hours of a labour of love! Good luck to you both in your future years!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:02 AM
GTA8500
Instructor

wow that was a sweet looking vette, better things to come i hope

Get notified of new replies

To End Of An ERA - LOVE IS BLUE gone!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
On the bright side, it will have a very easy life up there. They only have....what...two or three?....weeks of summer so it will have a lot of hibernation time! You can probably buy it back in a couple years and still have some of the same gas in the tank you sold it with!
Leaving my front door open all winter just for you Don
Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Old 08-06-2015, 11:42 PM
Johnniegts
1st Gear

Default If you remember

I remember when you worked in the shores pd i owned a 1970 ss 350 camaro 4 spd hugger orange black striped beutie. I was a cook at ihop my brother in law moe you and i used to play with our toys your vette eas the prettiest fastest street car on the planet my name is johnnie called me john back then glenn i am so sorry you had to pass her on but allways know that baby will servive several lifetimes because you had the vision from day one and yes LOVE IS BLUE

Originally Posted by Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Hello my Vette friends!
You may wonder why I haven't been here in a while. Aside from health issues, the end of an era has finally come in my long history with my 1966 Corvette, LOVE IS BLUE.

On June 17th, 2010 the big truck stopped in front of my house and after I did one last long smoky burnout on the street in front of my house, I drove my life's work into the trailer and she was strapped down and taken to her new owner, Bruce Carson in Edmonton, AB, Canada.

Yes, I sold my longest and closest friend after 42 years together. While I didn't get what I was hoping for, due to the sick economy, I got enough so my wife and I could pay off our second mortgage and her '05 Chrysler, Crossfire. Between those payments we were drowning in shortfalls since she was forced out of her job into early retirement. Just not enough money at the end of each month and we kept getting deeper in debt each month.

I can no longer do the work myself on LOVE and there was no money to pay others to do the many things necessary to keep such a beast running in top conditions, so I let her go to someone who has the money and love to take it to the next level hopefully. We are keeping in touch and he has LOTS of questions each week about how this or that works and has sent several photos since he's received her, so I'll be involved with LOVE for a while at least. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad yet. Time will tell...

I will really miss each of my friends here at Crovetteforum.com. Over the years we have enjoyed meeting and have spent countless hours chatting back and forth. Great memories.

Here are the photos of that final day. Enjoy, Glenn

Getting in for final drive to trailer:

Final inspection prior to loading:

One final look and goodbye:

Trying hard not to cry:

Loaded on upper deck for trip to Canada:

Walking away in tears:

Arrival in Edmonton, AB, Canada, Love's new home:

New owner and friends removing nose for inspection:

Quick Reply: End Of An ERA - LOVE IS BLUE gone!