Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Quality of hubs -- USA vs China

Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 AM
c4zf6nut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality of hubs -- USA vs China

The price and free shipping are plus for made in China hubs.-) I cannot find out who manufactures these bearings. Have you used these?

When I look for these on Rock Auto, they also have 513013 listed as well as 513020. Are both OK for 1989? Is there a difference in ABS functionality? I would prefer to keep ABS.

Timken rears 513020 for $113 each at Amazon.com w/ free shipping. I did not see any country of origin markings on the front Timken bearing but a Made in USA label on the bottom of the carboard packaging.

If I knew the Timken were as good as the originals, I would not be looking at the bearings below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=310175944740
is a little less expensive per bearing which I assume is due to savings on shipping.

The part is equivalent according to above link to 513013.

I just want to feel safer when driving on the road. My father in law´s 2001 Toyota Corolla with Pirelli P400 185/65 R14 T rated Pirelli P400 tires feel safer when entering curves at 70mph.-) The front suspension checks out fine after a lower left ball joint and hub were replaced. It is only the rear wheel bearings which have too much play.

My car is 32000 miles, new 4 Bilstein FX3 shocks, new Kumho MX tires. Just replaced lower front ball joint with original NOS GM ball joint (not AC Delco).

Mechanic tells me all the rubber bushings are in very good shape. He did not recommend me to install the Prothane kit to replace the rubber bits. It would be an easy money maker for him so I do not doubt his sincerity.

I also purchased a "Bearings Unlimited" front hub in case the original right front hub goes bad. It is sold by "Detroit Axle" on Ebay. Any comments on those?

I also am looking at "Moog" lower ball joint which list for less than $20 on Ebay. Assuming those are made in China, any opinions on those?

C4ZF6nut

Last edited by c4zf6nut; 08-01-2010 at 02:16 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quality of hubs -- USA vs China