C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

High Reading Tach Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 06:59 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Tvette99
Thanks ive never soldered anything in my life ive brazed thousands of times as a hvac tech if i ruin the board are they available ? And if so what are they called how do i order one. Can someone else chime in aswell i am very hesitant to cut things being i literally just bought this car. Its for my wife i always told her id buy her a vette.... Also im in canada so whatever you pay times that by ten its ******* great living up north
Then I would suggest you send it off to BATEE and let them swap the resistor "chip" for a new one and be done with it.

Soldering electronics isn't difficult, but you might want to practice on something other than your cluster board - especially when doing it for the first time!

Again... Under the circumstances, I can't think of a reason not to send the cluster off to BATEE.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:39 PM
Tvette99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Then I would suggest you send it off to BATEE and let them swap the resistor "chip" for a new one and be done with it.

Soldering electronics isn't difficult, but you might want to practice on something other than your cluster board - especially when doing it for the first time!

Again... Under the circumstances, I can't think of a reason not to send the cluster off to BATEE.
Whats the best way to cut the pins ? Would side cutters work ? Batee wants like 300 bucks for this fix ive already contacted an electronic repair guy in town who would solder the little resistor for 20 bucks

Last edited by Tvette99; 06-09-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:12 PM
simracer
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my first ever post. The '91 I just bought has this problem. at idle, the tach reads 2k rpm, and between 2 and 3k rpms its pegged at 6k rpms.

I think the easiest fix is to desolder pins 4 and 11, clip and remove the pins, then solder in a 300k resistor from the bottom of the board into the holes for pins 4 and 11. this seems like a more secure fix than surface soldering the resistor. Is a 1/4 watt good?
Old 09-29-2021, 06:36 AM
Bill Chase
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 104 Posts

This thread should be a sticky, the low buck diy repair, or spend 49 bucks for the new chip from Battee. Some very good info of a common problem in the 90-96 cars.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:33 PM
simracer
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to follow up to my previous post, I did get the batee chip followed his instructions, and my tach works perfectly now
The following users liked this post:
Bill Chase (05-26-2022)

Quick Reply: High Reading Tach Repair